Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great piano music

Left

aimless
Amazing, but perhaps because I'm a baroque snob :) I never really like hearing Bach played on modern pianos...
I find it very hard to relate to the sound of the harpsichord. I like it in ensembles (concertos) but I struggle with solo harpsichord.

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
Like Spinning Plates, played forwards with a backwards melody - lyrics also sung with a backwards melody forwards. Not the prettiest of songs but technically brilliant IMO.

Left

aimless
Twelve tone special!

Unsung genius of 20th century music Milton Babbitt

Boulez's second sonata, one of the greatest piano works of all time

Gould playing Webern - he plays it a bit choppy for me but it's still great

existentialist

Fabulous shoes
I find it very hard to relate to the sound of the harpsichord. I like it in ensembles (concertos) but I struggle with solo harpsichord.
*nods* I know what you mean - I'd have settled for an original fortepiano recording, but it doesn't look like there are any of those on YouTube (the fortepiano postdates Bach somewhat - the original fugues would have been played on clavichord or harpsichord, or organ).

This is a different fugue being played on a fortepiano - you'll hear that the sound is less "bright" and in your face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortepiano

ETA: I once went to a recital of Scarlatti harpsichord music at the Wigmore Hall - it's probably the only classical concert in my life where I wanted to bale out half way through, one million pingy little notes in!

Left

aimless
Very nice! Properly woke me up this morning.
That Lutoslawski is amazing, I only wish I could follow the score without getting lost.

existentialist

Fabulous shoes
Very nice! Properly woke me up this morning.
That Lutoslawski is amazing, I only wish I could follow the score without getting lost.
Not easy, is it? :) Works for me if I kind of follow it one beat to the bar. But I've a feeling that's the kind of piece you use the music to learn from before you perform it at speed - not something I'd want to sight-read, anyway! (and anyway, playing anything off two staves at once is just unnatural, in my view :) ).

existentialist

Fabulous shoes
I know this has a violin accompanying the piano (hem hem hem), but still a beautiful piece of minimalist music - Arvo Pärt, Spiegel im Spiegel.

Sirena

Don't monkey with the buzzsaw
He's not considered as cool as some jazz greats but Oscar Peterson was a glorious pianist at his best. Sadly, this tune (his own composition 'Hymn To Freedom') has a little glitch near the end....