Great hi-fi turntables you have loved

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Crickey. That's what I used to have although mine was black finish. £200 from Hi-Fi Experience (RIP) on Tottenham Court Road in 1988.

Lazy Llama likes this.
  2. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Actually sold it for £220 two years ago on ebay

3. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

[​IMG]
    Wish I still had this one.

4. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Had one like this first:
    upload_2018-6-7_16-44-44.jpeg
    My little brother tried to throw a pot on it, well a lump of mud not real clay. Think he did try it at 78rpm so theoretically he had the right speed.

pesh likes this.
  5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ive got a Garrard 401 that I bought for £20 from a record shop in camden that was closing down, it was missing the power lead and 1 20p spring.

ringo likes this.
  6. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

No turnable today but the haul from another successful skip-dive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All works - Only the tuner needed a knob repairing and a new Bulgin plug for the mains lead

:D

ringo, danski, RoyReed and 5 others like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's fucking amazing. I always coveted Quad gear when I was young. But those DIN connectors - eek!

Badgers and pogofish like this.
  8. pogofish

Lots of people do! - This is the second lot of Quad gear to fall into out hands recently and my colleague said his phone was ringing all night when he put it on Gumtree! :D

And that "Slope" function (furthest right) on the amp is interesting - it works like a variable loudness button and works very well indeed.

Hifi purists would probably never even think of turning it on though? :oops:

And if you think DINs are bad, you never want the sheer, unalloyed joy of wiring-up a Bulgin plug. Health and safety cannot have been a high propriety for its designer! :eek: :D

The Disc and Tape Adaptor boards are interesting too - Little four-sided circuit boards that you remove, turn and replug to impedance-match different hardware. No ICs either - beautifully made handwired/soldered items.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Badgers and editor like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They had Quad gear at the BBC studio in Maida Vale

[​IMG]

A look around BBC’s wonderful Maida Vale Studio MV3, west London

Badgers and pogofish like this.
  10. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

Jammy git, I love the quad stuff. My dad has one of those (the amp anyway, his tuner is something else). I have coveted it for some years...

pogofish likes this.
  11. pogofish

Yup - This gear came out of a building that previously housed a small studio and "listening rooms" for clients.

The 33 was in better condition than the last one - which tended to pop its buttons out when you pressed them but it came with a pair of the gold Electrostatic speakers. Also from a former recording studio.

Back in the day I would have probably exchanged limbs for Quad gear but these days I'm happy with my lesser but more connected/liveable-with equipment. Just like it that we can get the gear back into the hands of people who will appreciate it. :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  12. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I've got this Ariston RD80 Turntable sitting unloved in storage at the moment, it was my dad's old deck and he butchered the wiring to fit phono plugs to plug into a Cyrus Mission I amp I bought him when his one failed.
    IMG_20180706_114227234.jpg

I've got this Stanton STR8.150 , I bought it mainly to try and convert some 78's my dad had to CDs so he could play them more easily.
    IMG_20180706_124629281.jpg
    Instead of using this bad boy portable windup turntable.
    Screenshot_20180706-125459-01.jpeg

editor and pogofish like this.
  13. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Yep, I have the same, though mine needs a bit of TLC. Rich warm sound that I'm very fond of. Your pic doesn't quite do justice to the gorgeous glass platter.

14. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Technics SL-10 linear tracking turntable. A revelation after my Garrard SP25. Hardly any rumble, wow or flutter, and the last track of each side played without distortion unlike the Garrard which I could never adjust right. Still going strong with the mate I sold it to.

[​IMG]

editor, Nivag and lefteri like this.
  15. I had a Dansette for a few years when I started buying records in the early 80s. Not very Hi-Fi.[​IMG]