Graveyard shift - what to do?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Jon-of-arc, Oct 4, 2018.

?

How should I use this time...

1. Write a stream of consciousness book, depicting my grip on reality slowly loosening

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Amyl filled gas mask danger wank

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Get really fucking good at online poker

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Make another cup of coffee

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Sit ups and press ups until I get serious abs

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. Find God

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Learn Swahili

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Imagine what it's like to be Forest Whittaker

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  9. Beat myself at chess

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  10. Google the phrase "what did dinosaurs do wrong"

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  11. Do some home chemistry experiments

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  12. Send deranged tweets to local politicians

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Fully self-actualised

So, I'm on my first ever night shift. Two and a half hours in*, and completed nearly every task (I have to read some people's diaries, which feels inherently dirty, so I'm leaving that till the end), watched an episode of Harry Enfield and Chums on Netflix (quite funny, although Wayne and Waynetta Slob sketches were showing their age pretty badly - who was it who was saying something about how we'll soon be saying "it was the 90s" like people already say "it was the 70s" as an excuse for all sorts of shit in a thread recently?), done my little journal thing for college, and am now wondering how to fill the remaining 6 hours until I have human contact again...

I can do pretty much anything I want, as long as it's within these four walls. Suggestions, please.

*More like 4 1/2 now...

A380 likes this.
  2. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

If you're on a night shift where your remit is largely "be there in case anything happens" and you may have periods where you don't actually have any work to do, then you need to make sure to take in a book, or a device with a box set downloaded to it that you can watch.

Jon-of-arc likes this.
  3. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

You’re on nights but you’ve not got any work?

4. Jon-of-arc

Uh huh.

5. Jon-of-arc

Well, some at the front end and some at the back. But a solid 8 hours in between of pretty much nothing.

6. Lupa

Lupa A loving heart is the truest wisdom

I'd like to know what the dinosaurs did wrong so I hope you get on that soon...And report back.

7. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Sit ups are out of favour these days. Even the US army has abandoned them.

8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

They were too busy fighting to build orbital defence satellites to deflect inbound asteroids.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

This sounds like it could be an interesting time-filler, at least for somebody who likes maps.
    Missing Maps

10. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

One day you will wish you had loads of spare time. Use it well.

Learn a new thing

farmerbarleymow and Jon-of-arc like this.
  11. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

Learn a portable instrument (guitar?), or music theory (lots of courses on the internet - i.e. Udemy)

(that's what I do now as I have lots of spare time)

Or a language!

Knitting? Juggling?

Can you touch type? That's a good skill to have too.

12. How would you normally fill 8 hours in the middle of the night?

A380, Throbbing Angel and peterkro like this.
  13. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

Surely if you're on the graveyard shift you do the Mash....'The Monster Mash'....'It's a graveyard smash'

A380, Eggby, Throbbing Angel and 3 others like this.
  14. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I did shifts for 13 years. I dealt with them by reading, doing pull-ups, finding out of the way corners to build beds in (and getting a few hours kip) and getting really fucking stoned. I guess the last option is out of the question for you and I wouldn't recomend it these days, but the first two are pretty productive ways of wasting time in work

Pickman's model likes this.
  15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i gained my ability to touchtype between 2003 and 2005 from posting here :oops:

pulled a couple of 24 hour shifts back then too :oops: :oops:

16. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Have a wank.

farmerbarleymow and emanymton like this.
  17. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Just the one? That'll still leave a lot of time unless it's never-ending

farmerbarleymow and emanymton like this.
  18. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. :mad:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  19. Saul Goodman

OK, Have a wank over a picture of Theresa May.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  20. emanymton

NOT what I would suggest.

Puddy_Tat and farmerbarleymow like this.
  21. Saul Goodman

Having tried it? :D

22. emanymton

:oops:

Saul Goodman and farmerbarleymow like this.
  23. farmerbarleymow

While listening to Abba I suspect. Deviant. :hmm:

Saul Goodman likes this.
  24. emanymton

So that was you outside my window. :mad:

Puddy_Tat and farmerbarleymow like this.
  25. farmerbarleymow

Yes, and I've reported you to the authorities. :mad:

26. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Funny that... I learned to touch type in the urban75 chatroom. On dialup.

I second the vote for
    It always makes me feel better to do a bit because you've done something constructive. There are projects on there at the moment where you can help with responses to the Philippines typhoon, the Japanese earthquake and incipient ebola amongst other things.

Yossarian and Pickman's model like this.
  27. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

When I had similar (night shelter in Cambridge), I ended up watching a lot of exceptionally good films and series about things I wouldn’t otherwise watch.

Mountains, basically. All the mountaineering films. Plus series about Everest. Plus more mountaineering films. And then some more stuff about mountains.

On my laptop.

(Tbf, we didn’t own a tv then, so perhaps tv looked more appealing than it would to contemporary people, or people who own televisions and netflices.)

Errr. These days? If I had spare time? I’d sleep, read, and game in that order. (Except the last two. After 2am, I’d game and then read).

On my phone, obvs. Phone gaming is epic.

28. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Shouldn't you be investigating a weird noise down in a cellar with a dodgy torch saying things like 'Alright alright you can all stop mucking about now' while something that looks vaguely human darts across your field of vision singing a nursery rhyme about dead children?

I don't know much about night shifts other than what I've seen in films tbh.

A380, Eggby, Lupa and 3 others like this.
  29. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Actually, that’s accidentally disingenuous. That’s what I’d do now, because I’m routinely dying to find even 30s between 7am and 9pm without obligations.

Historically, I used the kinda time you’re describing to develop or gain skills or expertise. Sometimes, in useful fields - I once took two weeks of annual leave to learn statistics (illegal copy of relevant software, plus two textbooks). I also read criminology textbooks cover to cover in my spare time, when I knew I wanted to pursue criminology as a degree / profession; read counselling and social work books when I thought similar about those fields; read original texts on philosophy when I was working as a counsellor and yearned for sth different (Sartre’s Being and Nothingness; Heidegger’s Being and Time); and have eg learned juggling, skateboarding, unicycling (weak), and... gained pathological knowledge about bicycles, coffee, and fountain pens through... following obsessions. Tbh.

Most or all of ^^^ those were facilitated by the fact that I WAS earning, and so could do new and healthy things for the first time. Some were RELATIVELY inexpensive (books, particular - £20-50 new, but weeks of intense brain work). Others were properly costly, with the cost really following the obsession. Eg these days I could literally never afford to replace the £100 fountain pen biscuit ate yesterday; I don’t have £100 any more! And if any of my bikes broke, I’d be on shanks pony. But back when I was single, free, child free and earning £18k, all of those were utterly doable - up to and including self-building a c.£1.8k second hand bike (which I no longer dare to ride, bc I can’t even afford to replace the chain let alone anything more substantive!)

So. Yeah.

Knowledge.
    Obsessions.
    Skills.

These are what I worked on, when I had time and money.

These days, I mostly just yearn for a bit of time.

equationgirl likes this.