Grampian towns

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by Yossarian, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I'm in Aberdeen with a 2-year-old son to entertain and no car - thinking about a train trip to one of the towns between here and Inverness on the weekend, are Huntly or Keith or the others any good for a day out?

2. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Huntly might be the best for a youngster. There is a good park/playpark out by the castle. Just head through the arch from the town square.

Keith is interresting enough but its park is a bit more formal/sports oriented and the attractions tend to be at the more alcohol-related end of the scale.

Inverurie has quite a lot going for it but much is along the banks of the Don, with a fair bit of wildlife, even close to town.

Elgin has probably the most going for it in terms of variery and attractions with a big park right next to the High St but I don't know what's left for kids as Moray have been exceptionally harsh with their cits to environment/quality of life type services.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    Yossarian likes this.
  3. pogofish

Lossiemouth is a short bus ride from Elgin and is actually a very young-family oriented place, with a magnificent huge sandy beach.

Going the other way, Stonehaven has still got a lot of its old seaside resort charm and a great wee harbour, plus Dunottar Woods, which has old follies/icehouses and a recently established walk/trail . Only thing is that the statio is at the absolute furthest away point from all the good stuff and will be all-uphill at the end of the day!

Yossarian likes this.
  4. pogofish

Although its no longer on the railway, Kemnay is a good place to take a youngster - It has "The Point of Origin", a very large scale outdoor sculpture/landscape art thing made from remnants of the old granite quarry that''s got plenty of space to run around and be challenged by the different parts of it. Also the Fetternear Estate, which has old ruins, lots of wildlife, the remains of an old light railway system and lots of mature mixed woodland to explore-in. All traffic-free and although private, it actively encourages visitors. Just over the bridge from the town and a short bus from Inverurie or from Abdn itself.

Yossarian likes this.
  5. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Or he could come down to Montrose or Arbroath, which are way nearer to me :) Plus I have a car and could borrow a child seat.

6. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Huntly has a fab castle and a lovely tearoom nearby. Well worth a visit. Stonehaven is also good for the harbour and fish and chips.

pogofish likes this.
  7. pogofish

Yup - I have some very early/happy memories of going to Huntly as a kid. :)

8. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Thanks everyone for the tips - and geminisnake for the tour of Arbroath! Heading up to Huntly today and hope we'll be able to get to Kemnay at some point as well.

pogofish likes this.
  9. Lemon Eddy

Lemon Eddy Disliked by dwyer

I take it from this you've exhausted all the kiddy friendly stuff to do in Aberdeen?

10. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Not even close, but going on a train trip is quite a novelty for the little boy. Huntly was great, think the castle made a big impression.

pogofish and geminisnake like this.
  11. yermaw

yermaw New Member

If the castle went down well then I'd recommend Dunottar Castle for another time. Nears Stonehaven, stunning view, and more "old n creepy" than some of the more popular ones. Watch those cliffs though.

Yossarian and pogofish like this.
  12. pogofish

I think Dunottar is currently closed for urgent safety work on the gatehouse but yes, there is a good walk from near the harbour, then past the war memorial along to it and back, ot you could make it a circular via Dunottar Woods. Just that there are plenty cliffs/steep slopes on the coast tretch, although it is low trafic as the bit of the old coast road on the route is very restricted now. Maybe for when the young one is a bit older?

Yossarian likes this.
  13. geminisnake

Yoss is back in HK I think.

14. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Aw this thread is making me really want to visit Scotland again.
    I haven't been since I was in my teens but have very fond memories.
    Even of the Saturday night in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary coz my dad had fractured his ankle :D

15. geminisnake

Not the best night to be in E.R.I.!! :D

16. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Cheers - I'm back in HK now but will probably be in Aberdeen again by next summer and look forward to seeing more of the area. We walked from Dunottar to Stonehaven last year when the baby was still small enough to fit in a sling, the view was amazing but any return visit is going to have to wait a while - scary to think of a 2-year-old charging around recklessly at the top of those cliffs!

geminisnake likes this.
  17. pogofish

Never mind two year olds - one of the last outdoor jobs I did before the surgery was babysitting a crowd of geologists on that stretch - Nae sense! :eek:

18. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

My brother does geological training tours on occasion and speaks similarly. Hmmm.. do you normally work out of Union Wynd?

19. pogofish

No, not them - I think I know who you mean. I've just got landed with a lot of these jobs because my foot trouble ruled me out of fieldwork in my own line.

20. geminisnake

As the mother of a now 24 yr old who was an unholy terror I would say this is VERY sensible! Don't take toddlers to Dunottar OR that bloody tower that overlooks the Perth/Dundee dual!! or Reekie Linn, or Edzell park(he ate daffodil leaves there, highly toxic they are!) :eek: Mr fish will know the tower I mean!

21. pogofish

I do indeed - Kinoull Hill! :eek: :eek: :eek:

22. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

We had great days out in Huntly in 2013 and again the next year, enjoyed Keith on our visit last year, this time around it might be the turn of Elgin and/or Lossiemouth.

pogofish likes this.
  23. pogofish

Yossarian likes this.
  24. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee