GoPros

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by sim667, Oct 24, 2019.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I see that there's a GoPro thread, but unfortunately there's a lot of RIP's in the past posts, and I wasn't sure about resurrecting such an old thread incase anyone got upset, so thought maybe its time for a new one.

I've just bought a gopro hero 8 and am putting together a budget diving rig in the hopes of starting to make tours of ship wrecks along the south coast (and further afield, maybe Shetland when I go in July next year).

But I'd never considered just how many accessories and how versatile these little cameras are. I must say I'm quite impressed with the build quality of the one I've just bought.

I honestly never though I'd see myself shopping for selfie sticks though.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i got a similar camera recently, a campark act74, which i've not really used yet - i got it more for using with a small tripod for things like demonstrations, time lapse and so on. thought about a gopro but they're rather dear.

3. sim667

Yeah they are expensive, I've had a cheap chinese knock off one and flooded it the first time I used it. At least with the gopro its waterproof up to 10 metres on its own, so even if the waterproof case fails there's some redundancy if its only a trickle.

Plus I'm paying for gopro plus, which may seem steep at £4 a month, but the camera will automatically upload all the photos and videos when its on my home wifi and they'll replace the camera up to twice a year no questions asked if you break it..... you get 50% of accessories too, so I decided even if I just use the 30 day free trial to buy all the accessories I want, I'll probably save a load. Some kind person also sent me a 25% code off the go pro too (apparently they're handing out discount codes willy nilly to American users when they ask for support, and this chap had opened two chat windows to ask the same question, and each window gave him a code).

Chilli.s and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Get a blue filter installed if you want to use it underwater.

I really want want too :thumbs:

5. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Red filter surely?

6. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Surely let camera sensor do the work capturing all the light available and use filters digitally after.

7. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

After a quick google - green filter for uk waters!

8. sim667

Yeah you definitely mean red or magenta.

In them exotic places the water is blue meaning you need red, in UK waters the water is green meaning you need magenta (I have a photography degree, I'm well aware about filters ;) ).

Also I've bought dive video lights which means I can't use filters, otherwise my vids will end up red. Although when they release a new backscatter filter set I might buy one which means I can flip between magenta if I don't want to use lights, and macro.

9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

10. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Don't put one on a selfie stick and wander around with it, because that will make you a bellend.

souljacker, pesh and Supine like this.
  11. sim667

I love the way walter just bowls through the middle of the crowd on the beach, no fucks given.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've just had an amusing 15 mins looking at go pros on animals.

There is a pig that goes on a surf board...