Google Wear OS smartwatch news and discussion

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Mar 18, 2014.

1. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

I still love my Pebble. They got it right imo.

2. strung out

strung out (",)

Yep - Pebble is pretty much the perfect balance of usefulness and affordability for me.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

That lack of touchscreen and old school looks don't do it for me at all. The slightly better battery life is a bonus for sure, but I'd miss the tight Android integration.

4. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

300% better battery life than most smartwatches (if you measure them at a very generous 2 days).

Buttons are simple and practical. The polar opposite of a tiny touchscreen. :cool:

5. editor

editor hiraethified

You don't need to use the button on the Sony smartwatch at all and it's much easier to touch a screen and swipe away notifications etc, then push tiny buttons. The battery life on the Pebble is miles better but still shit in the grand scheme of things. The Pebbles are great watches - although not the prettiest - but I'm swayed by the greater app support on Android Wear.

I think the best designed watch of the lot is the LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE followed by Samsung Gear 2 but that uses Samsung's proprietary OS. Round watches are definitely the best looking IMO.

6. JamesRaymond87

JamesRaymond87 Banned Banned

Android Wear is best example of Innovation that really moves.

7. editor

editor hiraethified

skyscraper101 likes this.
  8. Greebozz

Greebozz Apologies if I don't reply, may not your see post. Banned

Some things you may not know about the original pebble smartwatch.

At least with the old 2.9 firmware.

The watch stays in the state you last left it. If you are using the music control app, music boss, it stays there. You can control volume play pause, and track skip. Whatever music radio or pod cast application you are using on your phone it will automatically switch. It will also control you tube.

I listen to music a lot through Bluetooth, if I need pause or adjust volume I can press the buttons on my watch without looking.

I've not used android wear but I assume I would have to tap the screen and at least do some swiping to get to the music controls.

Text messages, WhatsApp emails et cetera just ping through, no failures.

I use the sleep monitoring and its handy that it doesn't need charging overnight or I don't need to worry about running out.

What I'm trying to say is that it's possible to fall in love with the old pebble time.

This is bit of a puff piece from myself, the watch is perfect but I've got totally used to its imperfections. I don't bother to read the contents of notifications on the watch, just note who the call or messages is from.

Also, I've not compared it with any other smartwatch myself.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

[​IMG]

Look at the size of that! That's not a watch.

You might as well strap a tablet to your wrist. :D

10. editor

editor hiraethified

I still think that Samsung's outer bevel control system is infinitely better than Apple's clunky interface and easier than most Wear Watches too. If it really has a 4 day battery life I may be interested.

Samsung Gear S3 Frontier: A guide to the rugged smartwatch

I'm still enjoying my Sony watch though: it's not exactly changing my world but things like controlling music playback, Uber notifications and onscreen navigation directions are nice things to have.

11. Greebozz

Greebozz Apologies if I don't reply, may not your see post. Banned

That gear three looks absolutely gorgeous. The more important that spinning dial, one thing I've learned from the pebble is that ease of interaction is everything. The pebble fails terribly in this regard with its fiddly buttons. I've come close to buying the Sony watch several times to do the whole Wear thing. I'm particularly interested in the power amp application, if you can do star ratings from the watch.

editor likes this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's a new one:

13. editor

editor hiraethified

I really like these LG watches but the battery life is still pretty crap.

14. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

So any updates on how the revolution is going? What's the latest sales of Android smart watches vs Apple Watch for instance?

15. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

[​IMG]

editor and Tankus like this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

Thing is, Apple never says how many watches it's sold so it's hard to get reliable figures, but I've no doubt it's the most popular (albeit with a rapidly falling market share). Samsung has nudged itself into second position (according to some sources) with the S3 which is a wonderful watch and - IMO - far nicer than the horrible rectangular watches from Apple etc.

But then I like watches to be round, and with a rotating bezel ;)

17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Yeah I dont trust the numbers that much. From what I've seen, stories based on estimates tend to have fitbit and samsung at around 12-15% each, and apple around 50%, but the way the articles are written could cause me to misinterpret fairly easily. eg things seem to look a bit different for analysts that focus on a broader 'wearables' category, where fitbit once dominated but has slipped a lot, which I suppose is just an obvious reflection of the fact that fitness tracking stuff matured and went somewhat mainstream before smartwatches did, and now faces more competition.

I know a couple of people at work with apple watches and they seem to quite like them but dont actually do very much with them as far as I can tell. They certainly arent getting useful, smart use out of them every hour of their waking lives. They havent stopped wearing them, but if the value is really there it isnt easy to spot.

I'm slightly more interested than I was because I am a nerd, but I am trying to wait one more generation, not that I have faith there will be too much great new stuff next iteration around.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

I really think the Samsung Gear S3 is the best of the lot. It looks like a nice 'proper' watch and has a much better battery life than most. And trying to ramp on shitloads of apps to make watches like a mini phone doesn't seem the right way to go for me. I want something sturdy, good looking and capable of doing the things I need, which are mainly pleasant 'extras' like controlling music, taking a call and getting notifications.

First and foremost I want an attractive watch on my wrist.

[​IMG]

19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I suppose the health sensors side of things is what still gets me the most interested in the future of this stuff - my brother has type 1 diabetes and so blood sugar monitoring stuff is always of great interest to me. And as I've reached middle age I might be able to use an array of health data to scare myself into slightly healthier habits.

I can totally see why an attractive watch is a big deal to a lot of people. I bored on years ago about what a hard sell various sorts of wearables are going to be because of factors including fashion and how people want to look, what they feel comfortable with etc. As a complete geek I am somewhat less bothered by some of those factors and will heavily compromise on that front, but I wouldnt think any other human silly for not treading that path with the same priorities as me.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Fundamentally, I really like the look of the Samsung watch and being a bit of a watch geek, it's great to be able to change the watchface regularly to ones I like. And the ambient 'glow' modes on some are fantastic: it's like having the upmarket diver's watches I've always wanted!

21. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

It does look nice but I am a complete watch philistine, I know hardly anything about watches and my lust for good looking products has always been pointing elsewhere. Round ones are certainly more pleasing to my eye, thats about the level of my formed opinion on watches lol.

22. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Any recent watches that come close to Pebbles battery life and functions?

23. editor

editor hiraethified

You can get three days out of the Samsung. I thought the Pebble was really unattractive as a watch, so much as I'd love a long battery life, I wouldn't want it on my wrist.

24. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

So, no. :( The market fails.

25. editor

editor hiraethified

I'd rather have a really attractive watch that needs regular charging than a fugly piece of redundant technology on my wrist!

I mean, It's almost more bezel than screen.

[​IMG]

26. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Yeah, the round one looked shit. The Pebble Time was the one. Fantastic little bit of kit.

27. editor

editor hiraethified

As a fan of the aesthetics of traditional watches, I'm afraid I can't share your enthusiasm!

28. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

At least it's not as bad as an Apple watch. I know a couple of people who have one and it's never on because the battery has usually died already. :D

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor hiraethified

Those fools that paid a fortune for the gold version... :facepalm:

30. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Fantastic trolling by Apple. :D :D :D

editor likes this.