Google Wear OS smartwatch news and discussion

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Mar 18, 2014.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Well, I'm interested alright, but only if the thing has a decent battery life and doesn't look like a clunky bag o'shite.

More: http://www.wirefresh.com/google-on-...nnounced-as-the-smartwatch-revolution-begins/

2. Dr_Herbz

Dr_Herbz Devil's Advocate Banned

Will it have a camera?
    Will the pictures be better than a DSLR?
    I'm in!

Hocus Eye. likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

No camera, but there may be a watch hood. (Can we move on from this now please?!)

I've always been really impressed with Google Now and can see these watches potentially being real game changers.

4. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless

I'm getting surprisingly used to saying "ok Google" to my phone. I feel like a bit of a cunt doing it, but it hasn't fucked up the voice recognition once.

Dunno about a watch, though. My phone seems to do all this stuff reasonably well.

5. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless

Yeah, Google Now is really useful. Its figured out my travel patterns and always knows when to tell me which buses to get to home/work. Quite annoying, but the more you just give in and let them harvest all your personal info, the more useful Google tools become.

King Biscuit Time likes this.
  6. Dr_Herbz

I haven't worn a watch for 26 years... I don't think I could handle wearing one now.

7. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

A watch that tells you what the weather is like. Looking out the window achieves this also.

8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Based on that video, unlucky.

Cheesy as fuck advert, too.

This has more of a chance of success than the glasses, but still won't take off.

ska invita likes this.
  9. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

It just doesn't offer enough.

Fez909 likes this.
  10. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

That's going to be a big issue, a whole generation has got out of the habit of 'putting on' a piece of tech on a daily basis. I heard this guy on the radio saying his 21 year old daughter found reading an analogue clock difficult.

I feel this will be the year of the wrist. :D

11. Dr_Herbz

I wonder how long it'll be before a wank-stroke app is announced for it...

12. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Talking to your wrist will make us all look like FBI agents.

13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i was going to say 'look like yuppies'. is it just me that feels deeply uncomfortable about this kind of thing? maybe it was growing up in the era of the yuppie, in part characterised by the act of using new technology in a brash and showy way that makes me hate this kind of thing so much. I dont think im ever going to get over it.

mather likes this.
  14. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

The last time i wore a watch i was nine and it played the knight rider tune - which was state of the art at the time for nine year olds.

15. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Looks interesting. At least these are more stylish than the awful Google Glass. I've seen a couple of people wearing them in public and they look like idiots.

I like the idea of a watch which has a bluetooth mic so we can conduct calls while the phone is put back in your pocket. Couldn't work out from this info is this is possible? Google now integration is great though. I much prefer google voice assist to Siri.

Also, I like being able to flash a QR code bording pass at the gate with a watch. I recently did it on my phone but it was a hassle having to get out the phone, fire up the app and place it on the reader while dealing with a passport and dragging a bag at the same time. A watch would've been more nifty.

Also, I'm sure there are load of other things that can be built in. Proximity communication would be a good one, so telling you where your phone is if you've lost it, heart rate monitor, etc. I just wish they would make these things a bit more stylish. They're getting closer though.

Fez909 likes this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

Because pulling a phone out of your pocket every time you want information is so much more convenient, eh?

In case you missed it, there's already been a huge rise in the take up of wearable tech, with devices like Fitbit and the Nike Fuel band selling in their millions. If Android Wear builds on that success. while adding the functionality of Google Now in an attractive enough package, I'll be in.

17. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

I've no idea who thinks a watch is a good 'smart' product?

From a basic usability perspective, unless its done with a single tap, having to interact with something on your wrist is at best slightly awkward to down right annoying.

mather and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

#firstworldproblems :D

mather and skyscraper101 like this.
  19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I made no comment on its convenience. Joustmaster got it spot on - for this to be something that people will wear, it has to be amazing. Showing you your text messages isn't amazing. Talking into your watch will make you look like a twat. No one will risk it.

Look like a twat vs slight inconvenience of getting your phone out of your pocket = phone wins, every time.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Do you think that fitness trackers are "amazing" then, because there's no shortage of people wearing them already?

21. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

I'd been looking forward to our weekly Google commercial. :)

Stig and Lo Siento. like this.
  22. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I do feel very self concious when I'm saying 'OK google' to my phone. I certainly would do it in public if I was in earshot of anyone.

23. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

This looks like a far better concept than those stupid glasses. What kind of twat would actually wear those?

Does apple do a watch yet? I've got an android phone and the UI is obviously fucking awful but I'd probably get an Apple watch given that i already wear a watch and have done since i was five. dont see myself using it as a phone, but definitely for music and emails.

24. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

what a pointless load of shit

mather likes this.
  25. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

yeh thats what they said about the iPad

26. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Headphones plugged into your watch? Might compromise the arm-swing action while walking.

27. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Will never replace my dive watch/computer :)

28. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

Bluetooth, no need for a wire

29. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap R.I.P.

Now come on Johnny, cynicism doesn't become you.

30. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I'd argue that Samsung have already kick-started the wearables market.

Google are riding on their heels.

Ed is showing his android fanbouy colours again.

mather likes this.