Google Photos is bloody brilliant

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, May 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've been using Google Photos to automatically back up all the images on my hard drive and my phone, but it's only recently that I've discovered how powerful it is.

Not only can you search for things that it tries to automatically identify but you can search by town or country and - as I've just found out - type in your phone brand and you'll get all the photos taken on your mobile. Clever as fuck.

miss direct likes this.
  2. salem

salem Well-Known Member

It's really bloody clever. On my one if I search for 'Mercedes' for example it even brings back photos where there is a small bit of aa Sprinte van in the background!

The photos must be indexed and I'd love to see what tags they put on each photo.

The facial recognition stuff is a bit of an uncomfortable step for me but I guess that's where we are now :/

Dom Traynor likes this.
  3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Worth noting the meta data is retained on any photos you share either privately or publicly.

Also general Google terms of service applies

This is the real sort of stuff Google want on you on their servers. Your search/browsing history is one thing, but coupled in with your pictures and location data it's a goldmine, plus it's indexing all the faces of people in your gallery. There's a reason the service is free

I generally strip out the metadata before uploading it to the cloud, particularly the location stuff which I turn off on the phone/camera itself (mega creepy when you share a photo you've took in your house and metadata pin points where you live) but that's because I'm a privacy snob and use a date/location folder scheme.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Are you paying for extra storage ed? The free version saves things in a good, but not great resolution.

5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I'm the opposite. I embrace them having all that data. The benefits are well worth it.

Obviously, if I am up to no good, I will not use their service. But I'm nearly 40 now and am married, with a mortgage, and a baby on the way. So the extent of my crime and mischief is limited to an occasional burger

Bahnhof Strasse, editor and cybershot like this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Been using it since it launched. I know that every photo I take will be backed up there so I'm often going back in time to retrieve an old photo from like 3 phones ago.

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

It's impossible (almost) to avoid using them, and every other cloud storage system, free or not, will generally have some t&c that sucks, if they don't. It's expensive.

I just go to the effort of removing any metadata I don't want them to have or I don't want to accidentally share.

I use google photos, but I use the API for it to connect to my NAS, so it gets the full resolution pictures. This eats into my google drive space thou (as long as you upload to a folder called Google Photos in your Google Drive then you still get all the powerful tools of using the Photos web front and the app if you want to re-download the picture) and isn't the watered down version.

If Apple allowed APIs I'd use them, but I need something that can talk to my NAS, and google offers the best/cheapest (even when you pay for 100GB) service.

joustmaster likes this.
  8. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

The facial recognition stuff is without a doubt a bit concerning....but it's bloody useful!

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nope. I find the unlimited storage option provides pretty damn good quality back ups - easily good enough for most uses.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a screen grab showing a zoomed in area of one of my backed up photos. No complaints about the quality.

2018-05-09_133937.jpg

Dom Traynor likes this.
  11. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

What amazes me is that it can identify people over them growing up from babies to teens.

It can't tell my brothers identical twin girls apart though :D
    Which makes me feel better for not being able to either.

12. Hassan I Sabha

Hassan I Sabha Kick Muck !

Has anyone found how you can have a "family" album? I have an Android phone as does my wife and we want a single repository of all our photo's without having one Google Account and without having to nominate every photo we both have an adding them individually to a shared album. I agree it is a great app but this seems to be its biggest fault.

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

from photos.google.com select the menu and then "add a partner account"
    That might have the option you want

Hassan I Sabha likes this.