Google Maps !! I love Google Maps!

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by weltweit, Feb 1, 2014.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Just to say .. it's great isn't it ...

Any naysayers?

2. Hulot

Hulot Ooh, me parts!

I find it a lot harder to use the new version than the old one.

3. weltweit

Hmm .... haven't really had enough of a play to see the new features.
    On the PC it looks quite similar, not found differences on my iPhone yet.

What differences have you noticed?

4. Hulot

Hulot Ooh, me parts!

Just pretty much the whole UI.

FaradayCaged likes this.
  5. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

You can get the old one by using incognito mode in Chrome (or similar in another browser). I was extremely pissed off with it when it first installed on my home PC. I use Google Maps constantly at work and have been using it a lot at home too (house hunting) and after nearly a month of constant use I'm okay with it. Still get pissed off at the pictures that pop up at the bottom every time you change view and the fect that you can't use the scroll wheel to get from overhead to streetview but the full screen is fantastic and it's much much easier to get a route between any two mouse clicks on the map.

weltweit likes this.
  6. weltweit

Oh, I obviously need to pay more attention :)

7. weltweit

I use it on my iPhone 4s as a sat nav.

It is good up until the last half mile when it seems to get muddled and send me off in the wrong direction.

Hope they have improved on that in this upgrade.

8. Hulot

Hulot Ooh, me parts!

I'm very old and I fear change.

But the full screen is woefully compromised by sticking all that gubbins over the top of it. Another irritation - of many - is that you can no longer navigate around Street View by dragging the little pegman figure around the mini-map.

9. weltweit

:)
    But you can still move around street view by moving the thingy ..... ??

10. Hulot

Hulot Ooh, me parts!

It took me forever to find out that you click on where you want to go on the little map, rather than dragging the figure. But ultimately it's just a change for change's sake rather than something that confers any benefit to the user.

Corax likes this.
  11. weltweit

I think we could have a thread along the lines of Google Maps Street View images of places in the world you have visited.

So easy to get a screen grab of somewhere exotic you visited.

Perhaps include no identifying marks and people can guess where it is?

:)

neonwilderness likes this.
  12. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I find the new version really annoying and don't see why they changed it tbh.

Miss Caphat likes this.
  13. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

As a satnav it's crap, it never seems to give you the instruction early enough.

14. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

That's why you get navigation as well on Android . :)

15. UnderAnOpenSky

Although it's slightly creepy when I've been googling on my desktop and it appears on my phone. Also how it know where home is and I've never told it.

16. beesonthewhatnow

That's the one I mean. It's just not very good.

17. UnderAnOpenSky

Tbf I use a dedicated sat nav most of the time as don't like relying on having mobile data, but it's got me though busy places fine when needed.

Of all the software/devices I use navigation is the one I think has biggest scope for improvement.

18. beesonthewhatnow

Yeah, I've got a Garmin, a TomTom, Apple Maps and Google Navigation. Of the two dedicated units the Garmin is nicer to use and of the phone based options Apple maps is better at the core navigation, with Google still having the edge for points of interest type stuff.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  19. UnderAnOpenSky

It's only a small thing, but would be really use, but are any of these smart about finding things, say, fuel. If I'm on the motorway, I'm not bothered by the closest, but the closest that won't take me much of my journey.

20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Go on then...:cool:

weltweit likes this.
  21. tar1984

tar1984 write a song, i'll sing along

This is the only website I can go on at work, because I use it for my job.

I have spent so much time just pissing about on streetview. I don't even look around exotic locations that much, just aimlessly trundle around the streets near my customers houses. I quite like seeing what different neighbourhoods look like. One time I decided to have a look around Brixton because of the u75 connection and I found the albert.

weltweit, moon and editor like this.
  22. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

When we had an internet lockdown at work a couple of years ago, me and a friend used to have competitions to see who could find visible street prostitution in a given area.

weltweit and tar1984 like this.
  23. tar1984

tar1984 write a song, i'll sing along

Now that sounds like a fun game. Plans for todays shift sorted.

24. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

Shame the got rid of the Wikipedia overlay - this was a fab feature to use when exploring areas to visit.

25. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

It knows where you home is because it uses GPS. Presumably it tells you when you are at home. Also I imagine you have synchronised your versions of Googlemaps on your phone and desktop.

26. UnderAnOpenSky

Oh I know. It's just how well it's linked it. Not convinced it's just gps either as I don't have it always have to turned on.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Street View is a thing of genius.

28. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

I wonder how much added value that thing has given to the world. I use a combination of street view and google satellite view in work. Whereas in the past I would've had to drive out to the area myself.

29. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Sucking the devil's teat. I love letting the NSA know where I am.

Still use it though out of laziness and a lack of much interesting in my life.

weltweit likes this.
  30. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

Google knows what my mobile number is despite me never telling it. :hmm: