1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Lens - AI-driven vision-based system recognises the world around you

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, May 18, 2017.

1. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

So other facial recognition cameras are very bad, but having your own one linked to Facebook would be fantastic :confused:

sealion likes this.
  2. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sealion likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Err, I'd be in control of it and only people opting in would let themselves be recognised. How you can compare that to state/private CCTV facial recognition is quite beyond me.

If you don't like the idea of Google Lens, don't use it. SImples.

4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

No one said it would be opt-in. You just said you'd love to have Facebook label people for you. How is Facebook facial recognition different to private CCTV facial recognition. I guess CCTV will end up using Facebook anyway.

Pretty sure it will become ubiquitous anyway. But I suppose that's ok as long it helps you recognise people and the evil government aren't involved.

5. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Whenever you start a thread about one of these new gadgets, you always jump in to defend it when anyone says anything critical about it.

I wouldn't take it so personally - you didn't invent the thing, you're just reporting it. Some criticism of these things is pretty much inevitable; it's not an attack on you.

mather, salem, UnderAnOpenSky and 2 others like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Actually, I didn't specify who would do the labelling. Seeing as I don't even use my real name on Facebook, it's highly unlikely I'd want them involved in anything. I'm really not a fan of FB at all.

But I would like to have my own system that helped me remember names and faces.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just don't like people misrepresenting what I said, that's all.

8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Agreed. Looks great but the crowd started whooping when the name was announced. That's some serious religious weird shit right there.

9. PaoloSanchez

I thought I was the only one. Looks like there were a lot of fanboys in the house.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you've ever been to an Apple launch (and I have) what you heard at the Google launch was more akin to the the politest ripple of applause for a poorly performing elderly batsman at a village green cricket match compared to the howling tsunami off gusset moistening iLove that greeted every minor upgrade to Apple products.

The Google thing was still awful mind, but at least there was something actual innovation to get faintly excited about if you're a techie sort.

11. PaoloSanchez

Now this is true although there's been a bit less whooping and hollering of late. Maybe at the next WWDC.

12. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Isn't part of going to new places a learning curve and bit of adventure ? Getting lost down a side street and finding your way around isn't all bad. How often are the reviews honest and how many do you read before making a decision ?

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

If I'm going to spent £70 in a restaurant, I want to make sure I've checked its reviews and the like first.

If I'm going for a few pints, I want to have a quick look at a few photos of the bar first.

You can still get lost down a side street. But faced with two or three places, a quick check on google maps for a review and photos isn't a crazy thing to do.

editor likes this.
  14. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

There are features and there are benefits!

Features are the characteristics of the offering, the electric drill and its drill bits. Features are sometimes interesting and different products can have different features.

Benefits are more important however. The benefit that the buyer of a drill and bits is actually after, is a hole or a succession of holes. When a punter wants holes, at the moment they buy a drill, but they will also buy any other set of features that fills their need for a hole.

I don't see the benefit from this Google offering, I just don't have a hole of that shape!

15. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Soon people will all be pointing smartphone cameras at each others' faces and interacting with them through valued-added apps. Can't think of anything witty to say or who to say it to at a party? Install the chatshit app for inspiring conversation ideas in realtime based on their social media profiles. Buy the I like your hair add on for only £9.99 that works out whether they've recently had their hair done and possible stylists and products they used - just point your camera at their head!

instape and sealion like this.
  16. sealion

How many do you normally read before you decide on using a place ?
    That won't tell you if the beer and grub is any good.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't see the two things as being mutually exclusive. Most people use Google Maps and look up places before visiting. This just offers an alternative that may be handier in some circumstances.

sealion likes this.
  18. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Three, maybe.
    It depends where I am.
    The other day I was somewhere in Suffolk. There were four pubs in the town. I used google maps to look at the reviews. One had 2/5 stars. The others had 4+.
    Looking at the photos, one had old fucked sofas, and a bar with beer I like. Another looked like more of a restaurant.
    I went to the fucked sofa one.
    All in all a 60 second effort.

They usually do.

editor and sealion like this.
  19. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

I use google maps all the time for finding somewhere decent to eat when I'm in a new town. But I tend to make the decision of where I'm heading before I leave the hotel. In fact, I usually make my decision of where I'm going to head to before booking the hotel so I know I'm going to be staying within walking distance of some decent pubs and restaurants. I don't then get my phone out to check the reviews of every place I pass. It's usually pretty obvious where is good from the outside IMO.

sealion likes this.
  20. sealion

Having moved to a new area i found two restaurants that both turned out to be fine. My son checked and showed me some reviews afterwards ,they would have stopped me going in had i read them beforehand. If a place looks clean and it's busy i find that a good sign.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So you never ever use reviews from any source? I generally look at some if I'm in a new town, skimread the comments and then mix them in with some common sense. No matter how badly written the review, the photos and descriptions are often enough for me to find the kind of place I want.

22. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Photos are definitely the best thing to go on.

Reviews can be terrible.
    "Horrible place - only sold real ale, it had no Carling at all! - 1/5"

UnderAnOpenSky and editor like this.
  23. sealion

No not for food and pubs. I have tried in the past but found the conflicting views off putting so i just go and have a look for myself. I am not saying these things are not helpful but they are not definitive either. (In my boring middle aged non techno phobe opinion) :D

24. a_chap

a_chap Welcome, my son. Welcome to The Machine.

I especially like the flower recognition thing. So many times, when I'm walking the dogs, I'll see some pretty flowing plant and wonder what sort it is.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.