Google Home

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Feb 7, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We've got a thread on Amazon's offering, so I reckon it's worth one for the up and coming Google Home. Word is that Amazon's is the best offering now but that could change. We're going to have to wait for it in the UK anyway.

2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I'm not convinced by these things yet. Sure there's some cool things that voice control can do (lights, heating etc) and its a handy little speaker, but I'm not sure this is worth the money for what is basically Google Now in a speaker. Especially when you still have to keep saying 'OK Google' which is a irritating and cheesy.

Also I barely ever used Google Now on Android when it came out 5 years ago, and I can't say I use Siri that much more either on iOS, except when I want to call someone and I'm too busy walking or driving so I just issue a command. But it's so infrequent I wouldn't miss it much if it disappeared.

Generally I prefer to read things and search for things in silence on the internet. There's only so many times you can bark questions over to an AI unit and get a stock wiki answer back before it gets old.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Except the whole clever thing about Google is that it understands the relevance of the question so you can have a more conversational way of finding out information,

4. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I thought home was just the app I used to control my Chromecast Audio.

I'm still not convinced by these either. I certainly like the idea of being able to control things with my phone or tablet like a super all in one remote control (roll on the day I can do my heating), but voice just seems unwieldy.

5. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I've just used my "OK Google" function for the only thing I ever really use it for and that's setting reminders. It fucked it up and now my veg and chicken won't be ready at the same time.

As well as that I'm not comfortable with something constantly listening (I turned off the 'always on' function on my phone and have to trigger by pressing the mic icon) and I don't really find many situations where voice beats a manually keyed in search. You've got to trust the AI to extract the right information from your command and bring back the correct information from the internet - without a visual interface you also have a whole load of forward and backwards dialog to confirm which takes far longer then just doing the search manually on your device in my experience.

For the times when you're hands are full, driving, cooking I can see the benefit of voice command, otherwise I'm not a fan.

Badgers and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  6. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

"OK Google" is the worst way to activate this. It's unpersonal. Alexa and siri are much better.

Michael Thomas likes this.
  7. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

How did "it" fuck it up? Was it not just responding to YOUR input?

8. souljacker

I'd say the hit rate on my phone is about 75% correct understanding. But it always seems to get it wrong on the most important things like setting notes and reminders.

9. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I put veg in and set a reminder for 35 mins (when it's all done) and set another reminder for 10 mins which is when the chicken needed to be put in so they're ready at the same time.

For some reason the second reminder wasn't set. I'm not sure why, it could have been me but if I'd have keyed it in myself I'd have noticed it didn't save properly.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. UnderAnOpenSky

I'd like voice recognition to take a quantum leap forward and probably a more automated home before I am.

12. souljacker

I was interested in the wifi box because I've got an awkward black spot where my PC is that would have benefited from the mesh feature. But I bought a new router and wifi adaptor and got round that so I'm out.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Voice recognition on the Amazon Echo is pretty close to perfect for me.

14. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

15. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

Really? BTW this is NSFW

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pretty much. Maybe one time in 6 or 7 I have to repeat what I said for it to get it. The joy of lying in bed and telling it to turn off the alarm - or get another 15 mins snooze - without having to fiddle about with a phone is worth the £1 a week it'll cost me for the year. :D

17. oneflewover

oneflewover Following "The Tigers"

I've not committed too heavily to the echo, just a few TP Link sockets, hopefully google home will also work with them. i'm definitely up for a compare and contrast.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Poi E likes this.
  19. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Got one last weekend. Works seamlessly with my chrome cast audios and video ( for Netflix), and the Philips hue bulbs. Got to get into IFTTT next. Sound is pretty good from the unit, too.

Google had me once they released the CCA with a digital out.

ETA (I know its sad): just asked GH to tell me a joke. Told me a bad one so I said "that's a bad joke". It responded with "my sense of humour is in alpha. Hopefully soon it will be beta." Hur hur. Similarly "funny" if you ask if it's Skynet.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Badgers likes this.
  20. Poi E

Wow that voice on the US Alexa sounds pretty bad compared to Google Home.

Badgers likes this.
  21. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

These things are all shit.

I just tried "hey Siri, when is the next number 5 bus leaving from the bus stop at the end of my road?"

It thought I said "when is the next number 5 past in the past up at the end of my road?" as if that is the sort of thing it has learned that people say all the time :rolleyes:

So it asked me "what kind of businesses are you looking for" :facepalm:

The last thing I want is to give this sort of incompetence the power to control my lighting and heating.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  22. Poi E

Once they've trained us in their ways everything will work out just fine.

cupid_stunt, oneflewover and Badgers like this.
  23. UnderAnOpenSky

Anyone else find the Google Home app a bit shit really? Often drops connection from my Chromecasts and is badly laid out. Changing the volunteer should be far easier for example.

24. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've been very happy with mine...... got all my shortcuts up and running.

In controls my lights, my PS4, proper kodi support is coming, I can run scripts on my raspberry pi, ask it to find my phone....... once calling finally gets released and kodi support is properly built in, it will be a cracking device.

25. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

I recently got an Echo, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet, going to experiment this weekend.

I couldn't get the Google one because I refuse to keep saying "OK Google"... sounds daft.

And "Siri"... no, just no. Sounds like Bob Geldof's lesser known daughter...

26. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I say hey google to be honest.

I still say please to mine though as I don't want it to turn me into someone who mindlessly barks orders at people in food places etc.

wiskey and cheesethief like this.
  27. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I've got a google home in my main room, and a mini in every other room. Its ace.
    I did have some drop out issues when playing music on all devices at once. But I replaced my wifi router with something more powerful and threw away my wifi boosters. Now its perfect.

I also have smart sockets on all my lamps, and these on all my actual ceiling lights and outside lights.
    Sonoff Smart WiFi Wireless Home Switch Socket Timer Module for Apple Android/IOS | eBay
    £6 a go. well worth it.

28. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

29. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

I have now got Alexa trained to turn the TV on, control the lights & a couple of heaters. :thumbs:

Although what I'd really like is if she sounded like the computer from Star Trek...

30. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Will they talk to anything other than the proprietary app? Eg, can I run scripts on my PC that communicate with them?