Google Cloud Game Streaming

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by cybershot, Oct 2, 2018.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. cybershot

3. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Until they sort out lag I can't see cloud gaming taking off...

4. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Fuck the cloud.

5. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

6. cybershot

Google Stadia games and pricing leaks ahead of E3

Somewhat interesting. I’d have assumed this would have followed the Xbox game pass type system but from what I’m reading you’ll need to sub AND buy games still.

Google Stadia announces price, games, and launch date ahead of E3

Also interestingly words at the top of that article but should we be surprised that it’s potentially only going to work inside the chrome browser? Whilst chrome may be the top usage browser in the world there’s many people that prefer to keep their browsing habits outside of the world’s biggest personal data harvester.

A 35mbps minimum internet connection is recommended for the 4K games (which are only included in the subscription based pro platform) and 10mbps minimum for 1080p platform.

Whilst it’s also clear Microsoft would like to go down an online store front model with their recent Xbox one s discless edition it does make me wonder how successful this will be. It’s perhaps 10 years too early?

I still think there’s huge demand for physical hardware (especially hardware that can play 4K Blu-ray) and physical titles where people like myself like to dip in and out and take their time over playing a game. I’m particularly fond of picking up older games at bargain prices such as metal gear solid v which cost me a fiver and I’ve been playing for 42 hours so far over a 2 month period.

Already in the subscription model that would likely have cost me £20 to play a single game, and i’ll No doubt be going into a third month with it too.

In comparison the game is also currently £42 to buy online from the Microsoft store. A huge price for a 5 year old game! Why would anyone buy the disc less Xbox one s and pay those prices for games!

On the flip unlikely PC gaming is going to die anytime soon and with many store fronts popping up and good offers it will hopefully help keep prices down in the long run. I can’t see PC gamers jumping of game streaming any time soon either.

Are google prepared to play the long game with this or will this be another of their weird and wonderful services which has a quite death in 5 years after a fanfare launch and numbers dwindle.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  7. cybershot

8. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I might be intrested. In the past I'd have shot the idea down in flames. But I also would have the idea of paying to stream music.

I'm a very casual gamer. It's certainly not worth me paying for a gaming PC. In fact in won't even be worth getting a PS5 when the time comes. I've got 200 Meg broadband. Provided the price is right it sounds like it could be very tempting. Especially if I could suspend my account over the summer months where I don't game at all.

9. cybershot

A mate who is an avid PC gamer has took me by surprise by announcing he’s pre ordered it, so maybe my assumptions are well off about people wanting physical hardware still. My main concern as already mentioned above is the input lag. This alone was a one of my primary spec checks when purchasing a 4K tv earlier in the year, let alone the additional lag of real time online play. I already notice it when playing games over my local network using the Xbox local streaming to win 10 allowing me to continue gaming on my laptop when the OH watches homes under the hammer. The minimum speed requirements already raise eyebrows that even if you have a 200mbps connection, will your WiFi still cut it without getting a super duper router that looks like something from the batcave.

At least I’ll be able to check it out by an early adopter and see if my mind can be changed.

10. cybershot

Not quite many details about Microsoft's xCloud from the E3 announcement, however my initial understanding is as follows.

It's free, as long as you have an Xbox One, and whatever games you have installed on your Xbox you'll be able to stream and play anywhere.

So essentially, Microsoft's view on this is, you buy our hardware, you're getting the service as a bolt on. One would assume it's going to require an Xbox Live account, so essentially, wouldn't be free and would also require a monthly sub, however anyone who buys Xbox Live subs will know you get them greatly reduced in price by shopping around.

Also not clear is if it's only games you buy from Microsoft's store that will be able to be streamed, or will titles you've purchased on disc also work? I'm going to assume no, they won't, because currently the Xbox needs the disc in the drive to ensure you have a license to play it. Having it installed isn't enough. So not sure how they would overcome this, probably not at all.

I guess we'll start seeing more games where you buy install codes from the likes of CDKeys being more readily available, and hopefully at much better prices than the Microsoft store itself.

11. cybershot

The Microsoft offering continues to sound confusing. Apparently remote console streaming is coming first, allowing you to stream from your console to anywhere, I guess this solves the issue about games you've purchased on disc, but will massively be hindered by your home broadbands upload, and the speed of the remote network you're on. No massive amounts of cloud power here.

Microsoft will offer console streaming for free to Xbox One owners – TechCrunch

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  12. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

13. cybershot

14. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

cybershot likes this.
  15. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Don't expect games to be cheaper on Google Stadia

Um.... you pay for the game as well.

Although, reading the comments, people seem to unaware that you don't actually own a game on Steam either. Just the licence to play it. And, as somebody points out, that will disappear if Steam ever goes out of business.

16. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Always wonder about this. It's the same with Kindle and audiable. You'd hope that these nice big corps let you download them if they went bust.

17. tommers

Well you'd hope. I would imagine that would be the least of gabe's worries if it ever happened though. :D

Or should I say when it happens. Cos it will eventually.

18. cybershot

Hmmm,

Google Stadia Will Predict Your Inputs to Overcome Latency Issues

Now, don't get me wrong, pressing the wrong button can sometimes be an annoying occurance, BUT, it's also part of learning how to play games, especially fast paced ones, I don't like the idea of AI predicting I'm going to press X when in fact, I've accidently pressed Y because I'm a dickhead, and I should have died!

Chemical needs likes this.
  19. tommers

Google Stadia will play the game for you to overcome latency issues.

cybershot likes this.
  20. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I've got this on preorder, very interested to see how it works.

21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

This comes around every few years like 3D glasses and VR. I wouldn't spend any money on it expecting long term value, put it this way.

22. cybershot

Especially at the rate google drop projects. I’d want to see it mature before I dropped any £ on it.

23. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I preordered it months ago, the concept appeals to me I'd happily not buy another console or GPU. I'm expecting it to be variable for a few months.