Google Chrome hits ten and comes with new features

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Sep 5, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Chrome constantly crashes on my W10 PC to the point I've fucked it off and installed Opera. So sounds lovely but I'd rather have a system that works.

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Same... If I had a pound for that bloody 'Aw Snap!' message.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Really? I can't even remember the last time Chrome crashed. Have you tried using it with no extensions?

PursuedByBears likes this.
  5. Mrs D

Mrs D cooks the best FEB on Urban75

So you type “what’” and get a big pop-up telling you what the weather is supposed to be like outside? Wouldn’t it be better for them to wait until you had typed a bit more?

SpookyFrank likes this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I'd rather put up with it than disable adblock TBH.

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Switched to Firefox about a year ago, but mainly for privacy reasons.

No doubt the others will copy these things soon enough.

RoyReed likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's not a pop up. It appears in the search box and obviously dynamically changes as you type more.

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I have one extension.

mrs quoad likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What is it? have you tried running Chrome without it or reinstalling? Chrome is pretty much seen as a super stable browser so summat must be adrift....

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I think my W10 install is fucked actually but I haven't had time for a reinstall and Opera doesn't crash. Only extension is adblock.

12. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Is it still a horrible bloated memory hog? Or have they fixed that?

13. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

This only happens to me when something else is either using all the system memory or has some graphics thing going on, like an AAA game that I've alt-tabbed out of. Not sure it should happen, technically, but that's the only time I see it.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I use 'The Great Suspender' extension which puts all non active tabs to sleep. Right now, I've probably got 60-80 tabs open across multiple browser windows and it's only using 4% of system resources.

15. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Having a couple of torrents in the background does it for me but there is something wrong with memory allocation in my Windows 10. I have to fuck with the page file allocation every time there's an update. Is 16gb not enough these days? We've just installed W10 pcs with 16gb of RAM at work and it's normally the case that when my work computer catches up with my home one then I need a new one at home.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  16. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

16GB should still be OK for a while - it's what I've got.

17. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I haven't heard of that, but it should be standard on all browsers. Only the window in focus should be active/using resources.
    I'm going to give it a go.

18. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

60-80 tabs open? :eek:

God, I get overwhelmed with any more than 4 :D

mwgdrwg, fishfinger and editor like this.
  19. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

They can introduce whatever they want, snazzy as it may be, moved back to Firefox this year which rocks and gonna try and avoid Chrome and Google stuff from now on. On computers at least anyway.

mwgdrwg likes this.
  20. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I've just seen Chrome crash on a brand new work computer with about ten tabs open running nothing but Chrome and an in-house chat app. :facepalm:

21. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Google really need to get a slimmed down version going for none Chrome OS systems. but can't see that ever happening.

22. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

There's always a trade off though - if you free up memory of the non-active tabs it has to be subsequently restored from swap, so switching between tabs can become sluggish. And to safely suspend the execution of a tab you need its process to be isolated so it doesn't interfere with other running processes, which imposes restrictions on resource sharing & allocation, resulting in each tab requiring more memory to begin with. As usual there's no silver bullet, it's always a compromise.

23. Mrs D

Mrs D cooks the best FEB on Urban75

Chrome 69 Keeps Google's Cookies After You Clear Browser Data

"When you try to clear all cookies in the Chrome browser, every cookie will be deleted except for authentication cookies created by Google. This means that after clearing cookies, you will be logged out of every site that you are currently logged into, except for Google." :thumbs: