Goodbye to the Bree Louise boozer in Euston

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Apr 12, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Sad news, it was a great little boozer.

Sue and Pickman's model like this.
  3. Borp

Borp remember

Shame. It was exactly what I want from a boozer. Hope they find somewhere.

4. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Yep, it sucks. Best cider offering in London that I knew of. Can anyone recommend any other good cider pubs?

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Was about to say the Cider Tap just round the corner in the Euston gatehouse, but that's been replaced with Craft Beer now :(

6. Brainaddict

Yeah, they had one cider on when I went recently - nothing exciting, Orchard Pig I think.

7. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Had amazing beer. Awkwardly bright lighting made me feel a tiny bit on edge whenever I was in there. I like my pubs dark.

marty21 likes this.
  8. what

what Well-Known Member

flypanam likes this.
  9. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Brixton Hatter needs to do his cider bar more regularly :thumbs:

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  10. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

:( i would say i have fond memories of the time i visited but tbh i only have photographic evidence :D

Slo-mo, mango5 and BoxRoom like this.
  11. Brainaddict

12. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Is this the same pub as the Exmouth Arms? Used to drink in there daily.

13. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Shame. I’ve drank here.

14. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Think that survives - a very long standing "railway pub" - many deals and job offers (to do with work done there) - used to have a legendary Manager called Con - who had this thing about people putting their bags on the seats. (you would be really bawled out for that) , still there and a bit more upmarket now. Been to many a promotion / retirement do there.

The legendary Area Operations Manager for Euston - was banned in the 1980's for falling asleep one lunchtime - into his food.....good job he was off duty ....

Edie likes this.
  15. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Used to be a nondescript pub called "The Jolly Gardeners" - decent beer and a floor so sticky you stuck to it. The toilets used to be legendary for squalor - almost to Irvin Welsh standards....good ,social pub and one to be missed.

16. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

It was a great pub! And I think totally remember the bags on the seat thing.

17. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It was always a partner to the Euston Tap opposite but I guess not enough people drink cider so they just extended it across the road. It's annoying, you could generally get a seat in there and it had a better clientele, fewer twats.

The Euston area is generally going downhill for pubs though I think it's just standard London development bollocks rather than anything special to the area. I'm mostly annoyed about the Calumet near the station closing down :mad: I used to pop in there for a few rolls of HP5+ when I needed them. Also West End Cameras by Warren Street closed and they were even better for film stuff, they had bulk rolls, chemicals, paper, the whole lot.

18. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Great pub, apart from before the Stone Roses concert in Finsbury Park when the queues for the toilet cubicles went right down the stairs. :hmm:

Slo-mo likes this.
  19. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

Nope that was around the corner. You could see the Exmouth Arms from the site of the bree louise:
    [​IMG]
    Not clear in this street view pic but it is right at the top of the road next to the trees

The Exmouth Arms is still there and used to be my go to pub of choice in the euston area. Unfortunately it now gets too busy so don't really recommend it, which is a shame as the burgers are excellent and the best around euston.

That whole side where you can see the Bree louise in the above pic is now gone thanks to HS2. The Exmouth Arms is right next to the HS2 boarding and was very close to being lost like the Bree Louise and neighbouring IBIS hotel and St. James Gardens.

20. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

If you're just after a cheap-ish post or pre train pint, you could do worse than the Cock Tavern on Phoenix Road. It's a proper trad Irish boozer, so not the place for posh craft beer, or owt.

21. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

There's a decent greasy spoon opposite the pub too

Slo-mo likes this.