Good sources for online jobs?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Idris2002, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

So, anyway, I was rejected for my research funding just as my unemployment insurance is about to run out.

I have some savings tucked away, but I really need to find some alternative employment. I may have to go back to Ireland (which I would rather not do, at least not unless I have to). Someone on here mentioned that they have a gig that allows them to work from home, doing something or other online. Whoever it was, it's not who I thought it was, or at least I can't find the post I was thinking of.

So, over to you - where does one look online for online work?

Thimble Queen likes this.
  2. *subscribes*

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. TruXta

TruXta tired

Depends on the type of work you're looking for I guess.

4. Idris2002

So long as it doesn't involve sales or commissions of any sort I'd be happy.

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

You're not looking to stay in academia?

6. Idris2002

Who knows, man, who knows.

7. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Wanking online for dosh is quite lucrative..

mwgdrwg likes this.
  8. Idris2002

Yeah, not really helpful Reiabuzz old man.

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

I don't know if you're interested in EFL, but there's some online teaching jobs being advertise on tefl.com. A friend of mine does it and says that, although it doesn't pay enough to live off by itself, he can choose his hours to suit him, and by working part time, at a local school, earns enough to get by comfortably without working long hours.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

;)

Edit: At idris' post!

11. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

These are contradictory.

12. dessiato

edited to make more sense

13. Idris2002

I'm going to look into English language editing for non-native academic writers.

Riklet likes this.
  14. Idris2002

Has anyone had any experience with those upwork people?

15. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Top idea. Proofreading, editing, checking. Transcribing English too, even.

Charge per word or per piece depending, once you build up a few contacts people should message you with their final deadline approaching stuff.

Get a business card or make a sign and leave it around unis, departments or at academic events etcc

dessiato likes this.
  16. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

artsjobs.org.uk is decent. The name can be a bit misleading; half the jobs on there are only tenuously arts related.

17. Idris2002

Move to the United Kingdom? Do you think I'm MAD?

(seriously though, thanks for the link ;))

I've been looking at sites offering proofreading and editing sources. They have pages where you're invited to sign up as an editor or proofreader, thing is, you have to give a quote, i.e. you have to provide them with some idea of what you'd charge for your services. I have no idea what sort of figure to provide. Does anyone else? Riklet for example?

18. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

Ah, no worries; didn't realise you weren't in the UK!

19. Idris2002

I'm currently working on the latter (as suggested not only by Riklet but also by an old boss of mine) and will be sending it out this week to my network - I've drawn up a list of over 40 names to contact with regard to this one.

I'm also looking at things like freelancer.com, but that seems to be mainly pin money jobs. . .

Riklet likes this.
  20. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Upwork and Onehourtranslation seem to have this kinda work.

I think you have to slog it out for a few months and even a year tho to get the better jobs. Do some minor stuff and the better stuff will flow.

As youre an academic and connected tho, try and make use of those connections surely? Email departmentments and then once youre offered work think of a figure.

I reckon for proofreading and editing with academic stuff you could aim for between 0.03 and 0.10 a word depending on contacts. Maybe this is a little high I don't know. Maybe a set fee would be better sometimes. But like I said, people are desperate and want a good job done so dont sell yourself cheaply.

You could always try inventing a email address or three and emailing your various competitors. Enquire about short stuff, disserations notices announcements thesis speeches presentations etc etc which you may get offered. See what sort of prices agencies and then individuals are charging and use that as a bench-mark. Hope this helps! Btw I am looking to get into this kind of thing too so any tips would be appreciated haha.

21. Idris2002

I've done the latter - an A4 sheet with a little photo of a typewriter, and I've been sending it out to a list of about 80 names of contacts I've built up around the world over the years.

It's been very interesting to see who replies to me and who does not.

Anyway, in the case that I actually do get work of some kind via this method (next thing on the agenda is to approach publishing houses and editors), how do I get people to pay me?

I have a paypal account, not that I use it much. But does anyone know if it's possible to give people your paypal details (not the security details, obviously) and to get them to pay you via that route?

22. People just need your email address (the one that's linked to your PayPal obvs) to pay you via paypal.

Do be aware that if the payment is marked as for goods and services PayPal take commission. You don't have to pay commission on 'gifts' though.

23. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

24. Idris2002

I was not aware of that. Thank you Thimblo.

flypanam: disturbing.

25. I like this new thimblo nickname :D :thumbs:

PippinTook likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This came up in my twitter feed. Any good for anyone?

Roots to Work

crossthebreeze likes this.
  27. dessiato

That's an interesting site. None of it of direct interest to me at the moment, but if I move back I'll be up for the voluntary jobs.

28. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Thanks - that's potentially really useful!