Good News in Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Rimbaud, Oct 27, 2017.

1. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Rimbaud, teqniq and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  2. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

agricola, Rimbaud and CRI like this.
  3. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

This thread may possibly go some way to explaining the above as Israeli and Saudi converge on this issue amongst other things.

upload_2017-11-7_11-39-14.png
    upload_2017-11-7_11-39-45.png

4. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

naive.

Riklet, hipipol, planetgeli and 2 others like this.
  5. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Aside from the mysterious death of Prince Mansour bin Muqrin in a helicopter crash, there have also been rumours circulating that Abdul Aziz bin Fahad the favourite son of King Fahad was killed whilst resisting arrest, these have bewn denied by thw state. Dead or not he's certainly disappeared, despite being rather portly and rich as Croesus.

Mystery surrounds fate of late King Fahd’s son amid Saudi crackdown

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Abdul Aziz bin Fahad, had close links with the former Lebanese Prime Minister Hariri who has also disapeared into Saudi protective custody.

And Saudis currently in Lebanon have been told by their government to leave.
    Saudi Arabia calls on citizens to leave Lebanon immediately

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

He can't run and he can't easily hide

8. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Pickman's model and cupid_stunt like this.
  9. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

10. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I wouldn't. Clearly a messy and tense situation with some unusual features but its far from clear what the Saudi's are planning next. Saudi Arabia telling their citizens to leave, as Kuwait, the UAE and Bahrain have also done, is obviously not a positive sign but I don't assume it means bombs will soon be falling on their heads.

littleseb likes this.
  11. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Macron taking a risk, as the Saudis are already holding President of Yemen and the Prime Minister of Lebanon in detention. MBS is probably trying to create a zoo to exhibit all the world leaders who've flown into his web.

instape, Raheem, Poi E and 2 others like this.
  12. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Custodian of the holy (or holey) heads of state?

13. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Custodian of the severed heads of heads of state.

14. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I hope not but time will tell.

British arms manufacturers are probably rubbing their hands though.

15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

If it's unclear then planning for the worst better than waiting without a plan

16. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Is their recent tiff with Qatar a component of any of this?

17. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

The Sunni descendency.

18. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

It all began to turn after the giant orange childs visit - within a week ISIS had struck in the heart of Tehran and also at Khomenis tomb, on the edge of town. Far from being Qatar sponsoring terrorists, Saudi is. Forget the mass slaughter in Yemen for a second, which the Saudis claim is Irans fault (?????), if the unholy alliance of Saudi and Israel really gets going, the numbers of dead will be in the millions

19. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

20. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Those coffers are running low, Iran’s influence extending across Iraq and Syria, involved in a neighbouring war, detaining heads of state, culling of the royal family. The last bit sounds alright.

21. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Sure
    There major prob with Qatar is they do things their own way - Al Jazeera in particular - main thrust of the Saudis is that it should be closed down
    Saudi got the nod from the Trumpster, moved against what they see as regional enemies, Iran primarily but Qatar is a bit to free and easy for the House of Saud - they have a low level insurrection in their oil rich Shia territory which they claim is supported by the Qataris - Bahrain also - recall it was Saudi troops that put down the Shia majority calling for democratic representation
    The key to understanding Saudi I think is to read about the Plantagenets and Osmans descendants superb infighting skills as expressed thru the Ottoman Empire. Saudi is not a nation state, it is an ongoing tribal kleptocracy
    TBF since the Umayyads topped Husayn ibn Ali, at Kerbala (currently in Iraq) in 680 there been little affection between Sunni and Shia - these events can easily play into that scenario allowing the Saudis to continue to present themselves as the Orthodox Keeper of the Holy Places

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  22. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

23. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

"Bandar bought an entire village in the Cotswolds, a picturesque area of central England, and a 2,000-acre sporting estate with part of the proceeds from kickbacks he received in the al-Yamamah arms deal, which netted British manufacturer BAE £43bn ($56.5bn) in contracts for fighter aircraft.

As much as $30m (£15m) is alleged to have been paid into Bandar’s dollar account at Riggs Bank in Washington and the affair led to corruption probes in the US and UK, although the case was dropped in the UK in 2006 after an intervention by then-prime minister Tony Blair."

That fucker blair again

likesfish, NoXion and hash tag like this.
  24. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

It's not just that cunt then. It makes me sick looking at the MPs all wearing their red poppies while happy with the hundreds of millions their pals are making from Saudi's bombing/starvation/cholera-isation of the people of Yemen, and that's just on Yemen.

Blood, hypocrisy, supremacism, the glorification of war, the interests of the 1%, and the cheery neglect of those that fell for the myth. Are you wearing yours!?

agricola, MightyTibberton and Poi E like this.
  25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I feel like I gave a more reassuring tone than I meant to with this. But absent finding out what actually happens next by waiting to see, I dunno what else I can add.

26. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Only good news will be when these 'reforms' allow space for popular dissent and revolt and lead to the various lovely members of the house of Saud departing permanently.

Looking at what Saudi is up to in the Gulf and Lebanon it seems very much business as usual.

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Not sure I would quite describe it as business as usual. They are going quite far beyond what they used to do.

28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

May as well poke at some history while waiting for the next thing to happen.

In the article quoted in the OP, Mohammad bin Salman, who I shall probably start referring to as MBS, said this:

One of the things I assume he is alluding to is the Saudi response to the Grand Mosque seizure of 1979. Apparently king Khaled concluded that the answer to the religious upheaval was simple - more religion.

29. That's bullshit, US backed saudi military wahabism (and saudis tightening of religious restrictions) predates the ceasure of the grand mosque by around 15 years - it was during King Faisal's rule that what we know as Saudi was consolidated.

30. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

It would be bullshit to claim that stuff was not a huge issue before 1979, but it is also true that they made it even worse when responding to events of 1979. Just one example - banning women from state tv in 1979.