Going to York-recommendations?

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cyberfairy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We were at the Student Castle accommodation which was lovely.

3. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Some great photos there. It's very interesting (as someone from there) to see how it has changed.

Fossgate is very gentrified now. I remember it as a quite a run-down and quiet street, despite it being in the town centre. We used to go to a really good youth club in a cellar down there. What is now Cosy Club was a furniture shop for years (after being a cinema, of course).

The Crescent Club sounds good. I almost made it there the last but one time I was up, to a music festival my sister and mates were going to, but it had sold out. Apparently it was absolutely rammed and very sweaty, which is good news for the club! I ended up going to a friend's birthday do instead so it all worked out.

4. tripadvisah

tripadvisah Banned Banned

cybershot likes this.
  5. cybershot

Going up on Saturday, just going to be a day trip now as train prices were unfortunately too expensive compared with the convenience of just putting a bit of fuel in the car. Forecast is looking dry so that's a good start. Loads of good info on this thread already.

Any locals aware of anything going on this weekend I should be aware of that may hinder my efforts?

Controversial maybe, but any recommendations on a good place to park that isn't going to cost a fortune to be there all day? These any good: York Park & Ride | i-Travel York

6. Sweet Meiga

Sweet Meiga From far off lands

I do, and I'm still loving it!

Lots of great stuff on this thread. Just to add, I would recommend a visit to York Minster and its absolutely brilliant Undercroft Museum.

cybershot Are you aware of the York Residents' Festival happening this coming weekend? residents-festival18.aspx
    This will mean that some attractions, such as the Jorvik Viking Centre, will be rather crowded. Apart from that, I'm sure you are going to have a great time in York!

Maggot likes this.
  7. cybershot

Nope, I wasn't aware of that. I may postpone until the following weekend then if such places are going to more crowded than normal this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

Sweet Meiga likes this.
  8. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

York Urbs!

Can you recommend me a ghost/history tour for Friday night in York?

We're going up for the Viking festival thing, sans children - so, you know, hopefully a bit of sex - and we fancied seeing the city by night and eating somewhere that doesn't serve chicken nuggets...

Cheers m'dears.

9. cybershot

I still haven’t been as avoided the ‘residents festival’ and weekends since have been awful weather wise. This weekend looks good. How busy is this ‘Viking festival’ likely to be??

10. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

It was pretty rammed, it was very good, but there were good sized queues to get into the yurt and the Viking shopping tent thing. There were also queues to get in the Harry Potter shops in the Shambles, and the line to get in Jorvik centre was about 50m long.

The procession from the minster down to parliament Street was very good, infact the whole weekend was good - I also found another of York's treasures: Holy Trinity Church, which is beautiful, interesting, and (today) was full of viking craft stuff.

We ate at the Three Tuns on Coppergate, which was fantastic (and two mains, two starters, and drinks for £30), and the food court in the Shambles Market Square.

11. cybershot

Yep. I went today too and had pretty much same experience as you in regards to busy. I’m guessing combo of vikings, half term and the first dry Saturday in weeks saw crowds descent. A lot of stuff we gave up on such as the Viking centre as the queue was ridiculous.

Will probably take another trip up at some point.

kebabking likes this.
  12. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

So we're going up to York again on the 15th June for a couple of days to pick up daughter No 2 from university. Never been in summer, only autumn/winter and mostly did the Christmas market/ pub crawl thing. Any tips on how to spend a couple of ( hopefully) sunny days in York?

13. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

Best pub in York, hands down (that I’ve been to). That’s against some pretty strong competition too.

I was just up there on a very sunny weekend a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed the car boot sale at the far end of the racecourse and I’m not normally into that kind of thing. We also went to the cold war bunker York Cold War Bunker | English Heritage which was brilliant. There’s a tour every hour on the hour. Not much sun down there though!

telbert likes this.