1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to York-recommendations?

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cyberfairy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

bump. Haven't been to York since the 1970s, but will be soon.

Where do people recomend thses days? Is the Jorvik museum still good?

oryx and Guineveretoo like this.
  2. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

3. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I was in York recently. What sort of things do you want to know about?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  4. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

We live in york :thumbs:

What are you after?

Pac man, telbert and friendofdorothy like this.
  5. mrs quoad

The Jorvik is gr8, and was rebuilt after the floods. But it's only 40-60mins for the full automated tour, and the queues can be gruesome. Particularly if you catch the wrong end of a school trip. The tickets are awsum value if you live here (they last a year), but a bit more borderline if you're doing a one off. IMO. (It's possible to double / triple this up w/ other museums owned by the same people - merchant adventurers and the dig being the prominent ones. The latter two don't have such a great rep amongst york residents and are, I think, more aimed at kids. So. You know. Your call.)

York Museums Trust also own three well decent museums. It's certainly possible to get a card for all three as a york resident, and I think you can get the same (a bit more expensively) as an outsider. The Castle Museum is awesome and big; the Yorkshire Museum is small, with a couple of great displays; and York Art Gallery just won some sort of national award, and is awesome if you like art. And ceramics.

There's the National Railway Museum - fucking tremendous, if you like trains. And York Sightseeing Buses, c.£12 for a 24hr ticket. (One hour to go around york. I've spent 5 hrs on one with a bus obsessed toddler. I wouldn't recommend it.)

Erm. There's also Clifford's Tower. A bit brief and undeveloped, tbh.

Or walking the walls, which is blates worth it, and free. Likewise, Museum Gardens.

Out towards Rowntree Park (along the Ouse) is pretty lovely. If you're after dithering. And the whole centre of york is pretty decent, if you're after a historical town centre (with mostly generic shops).

Probably the only food I'd specifically recommend (outside of big budgets) is Spring Espresso. They've got branches at the top and bottom of town (Fossgate and Lendal) and brew some of the finest coffee known to mankind. (Alongside some hipsterised toast-derived offerings). If you're properly loaded, then there's more choice - the Starr in the City being one obvs & central choice.

6. mrs quoad

Oh, there's also Bishopthorpe Road. Which won "best small high street award" or sth five years in a row (or sth). It's not a big detour from the walls, though if you're broadly against hipsterisation, gentrification, and wankers selling fixed gear bikes and miniature pork pies at £22 the dozen then it might not be your thing. (Its not that bad, but it is a tiny bit "overly fashionable boutique independent shops". We nearly bought up there, but would've paid 25% over the odds for a house with subsidence. Just for the postcode. So, you know. Didn't.)

kebabking and friendofdorothy like this.
  7. friendofdorothy

mrs quoad thanks for all the suggestions. We won't be there all that long and our mates have plans for most of the visit - but I hope to have most of a saturday to wonder around the town and hopefully go to a museum. Do you think we would be able to get into the Jorvik Museum on an average saturday?

looks lovely. I know our hosts are planning a pub crawl for us - I'll ask if they have heard of it.

Did you go to Jorvik or any museums? what did you think?

8. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

To be honest, we didn't, although we had intended to. The reason being that the centre of York on a Saturday in August was horrendously busy.

I love the Castle Museum though - it's better than the Jorvik museum imho, although that's partly because I used to go there as a child and loved it.

Near the Castle Museum there is the Clifford Tower, and the museum of automata.

And it's got a good cafe.

9. mrs quoad

Yes. The only risk is an hour of queuing.

Edit: possibly followed by another 20mins of queuing for the actual ride once inside.

10. mrs quoad

Reading my post back, I realise that I fucking love york. Never had the same feelings about Cambridge. But york - fucking awesome place to live.

11. buscador

buscador culturally dominant

Well apart from the near incessant rain we had a great time in York. Jorvik centre, art gallery, shambles, walls, curry in the viceroy all good. Best of the lot was getting my photo taken with Paddington at the races on Sunday.

We will be making another visit when friendofdorothy has some actually waterproof shoes.

12. friendofdorothy

I can see why you like it, lovely little city. We had a great time and everyone we met was so friendly.

13. friendofdorothy

Races were great! I won enough to subsidise what I spent on beer. Lovely day out. Really liked the Jorvik centre - well worth a visit.

There was a chap in the Shambles market doing something interesting/weird on a small canvas. He had part chewed and spat out news photos of May, Cameron, etc and then applied red and blue paint with a St Georges clown wig, to make a very rough sort of union flag. He was talking about setting it on fire - I got out quickly in case he did.