1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, new album

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Firky, Oct 2, 2012.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Anyone going to see them in london in april?

fakeplasticgirl likes this.
  2. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Not this time. I don't like the Hammersmith thingy as a venue. Will catch some of the band members at the Barbican on the 31st March for 'We have an anchor' Film by Jem Cohen.

3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Its at sherpherds bush i think :confused:

4. flypanam

Sorry You're right, but I don't like that venue either. The last time I saw was at the Troxy which was nice.

sim667 likes this.
  5. fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl hysterically useless

fab album!

can't wait to see them in april :cool:

6. The_Reverend_M

The_Reverend_M More bass, vicar?

Have tickets to their London and Manchester gigs in April, PLUS today booked for their Roundhouse gig in June. I'm a Godspeed junkie :D :D :D

7. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

Ive got a ticket for Manchester.The Albert Hall is a great venue that promises so much but every time I've been it's been over sold and has a high ratio of twats......and Joanna Gruesome are playing at Islington Mill. I'm hoping it's possible to do both.

8. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Godspeed were monumental at the Roundhouse last night - an absolute joy to behold. I think I've seen them 5 times and this was the finest - no doubt....

9. flypanam

I really wanted to enjoy it last night, but I couldn't I just felt they were off. The songs seemed slower than on record. Maybe I'm getting old but this will always be my favourite GY!BE gig Roisin Dubh , Galway, 2000.

[​IMG]

10. Lorca

Lorca Somebody, after all, had to make a start

new album is on you tube already, its amazing these bands make any money at all really. on first listen it sounds pretty much as you would expect it to, which suits me fine. they're also playing in the uk in october, but i can't afford it (or nick cave, or the unthanks. bah!)

The_Reverend_M likes this.
  11. braindancer

braindancer not for long

sim667 likes this.
  12. Silas Loom

Silas Loom Mum's primitive, acidic pear crumble (7,7)

Okay. I'm very confused how I could have lived to the elderly side of middle age, with a lifetime preference for vocal-free music, and never have come across this wonderful band before.

The_Reverend_M and The39thStep like this.
  13. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

You've got some catching up to do! Yanqui Uxo is my personal favourite album. :)

Silas Loom likes this.
  14. flypanam

Have to admit I'm missing some of the instrumentation, but I'm pleased with the extra brass.

15. Silas Loom

Just listening to that now, and yes, it's great.

16. Silas Loom

And they are back at the Troxy at the end of October. I might go to that.

The_Reverend_M likes this.
  17. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Density of Sound

Like the brass/flute, like the final track and the drony ones but 'bosses hang' doesn't do it for me yet. I agree with the above comment, I think the breadth of the sound has been sacrificed a little in favour of power. Still, it's a GYBE! record. There's nothing not to like about that.

18. Silas Loom

At the risk of amusing Butchersapron even further, and after several cycles through the back catalogue, I have to go for F# A# [infinity]. And then Lift Your Skinny Fists.

E2A - those positions could perhaps be reversed, though.

Also. Presumably Spartwurzel's issue is that GYBE are a political band, one which is very much on his side, and very much not on mine. Any proper response to that, and the larger questions about artists and their intentions that it raises, would need a separate thread. It's not cut and dried; I remain a fan of Wagner, I feel sorry for devotees of the Smiths now shamed by Morrisey. But surely the lack of vocals, and the musical brilliance, makes GYBE's leanings far less relevant to their appeal than if they were first and foremost lyrics merchants.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  19. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

the first three records are my favourite. Haven't seen them live for a good while, but they were wonderful everytime I have seen them live.

Silas Loom - you now have all the related bands to work through as well

20. Silas Loom

Goodness. Tell me more.

21. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

A Silver Mt. Zion is the best of them IMO (I prefer them to Godspeed tbh)

littleseb and littlebabyjesus like this.
  22. braindancer

braindancer not for long

And then move on to Do Make Say Think - probably my favourite from the Constellation label. First album not so much but then Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead from 2000 is an absolute belter and they've been consistently excellent ever since. The new album out this year, Stubborn Persistent Illusions is fantastic. Amazing live band too.... not seen them in a good few years though, been a while since they played in the UK I think...

flypanam likes this.
  23. littlebabyjesus

Esmerine. Cello/drums combo. Beautiful stuff.

tangerinedream likes this.
  24. littlebabyjesus

New album hasn't grabbed me. It's ok, but doesn't feel any better than that.

25. flypanam

cstrecords.com

Most bands on there have some relation to Godspeed. Fly pan am were belters. As were Set fire to flames though not on CST.

26. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

yeah, me too!

27. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Density of Sound

Et Sans were excellent imo. ASMZ were one of the best live experienced I've ever had.

28. The_Reverend_M

The_Reverend_M More bass, vicar?

I fell for Silver Mt Zion (and all it's iterations!) long before Godspeed clicked for me - I love that their last album (Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything) is their most accessible and also one of their best! :)

29. Silas Loom

None of the spin-offs have quite the heft of the first three GSYBE albums, though.