Go ahead given for 2 new reactors at Hinkley Point

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Maggot, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

It's the prototype deathstar

muscovyduck likes this.
  2. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

If the french pull out ...there's probably no penalty payment's due

3. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

When have you ever known a Frenchman to pull out?

coley and kebabking like this.
  4. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

It's very unusual to delay a project like this at the last moment, just before the signing party. I wonder what new fact has suddenly come to light?

5. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I think it's just willywaving to be honest, with the UK government trying to show they weren't just waiting for EDF to make a decision.

6. BandWagon

You may be right, but if so they must be upsetting a shed load of people. The 7 board members of EDF who voted no will be saying 'we told you so' and the 10 who voted yes may be having second thoughts, and the Chinese will be wondering what's going on. Both of them may walk away from it if they're not careful. The amount of time and money already spent, and the reputations on the line.....

weltweit likes this.
  7. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I understand a Chinese delegation was already in the UK for a signing ceremony, they will have lost a lot of face over this.

not-bono-ever and BandWagon like this.
  8. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I'm vaguely tempted to attribute the new delay to some additional souring of UK-France government relations. But I know very little about that subject. I had read that France is being rather active in trying to entice banks away from London in the wake of the EU referendum, but again I don't have the knowledge to evaluate this claim properly.

9. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It's clearly a bit of a wtf moment. Hopefully a decent journalist will get some inkling of what's going on and let us know within the next few days.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  10. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

It certainly caught the BBC off guard last night as at least on their website they were giving the deal the big headline rah rah treatment and then had to modify the headlines in a way that added more than a touch of the absurd to the propaganda.

11. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

12. BandWagon

If that's true, then the thing's fucked and so is the trade relationship with China.

weltweit likes this.
  13. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

May did drop that soundbite about foreign companies not being allowed unfettered access to the UK shortly after taking office.

Not sure how any security concerns about China could materialise in her lifetime given their only involvement is monetary until the project after Sizewell C which is surely not even going to get started until the 2030s

14. weltweit

What is the relationship between EDF and the Chinese?

15. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

"May’s joint chief of staff, Nick Timothy, wrote last year that he found it “baffling” that the U.K. was allowing Chinese state-owned companies to be involved in such sensitive projects. He floated the idea that the Chinese might build in vulnerabilities that would allow them to shut down British energy production “at will.” May herself hasn’t spoken publicly about the plan since becoming prime minister on July 13."

May Silence on Hinkley Point Said to Feed Nerves on Nuclear Plan

16. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Shows what a Bell-end she's chosen as her Chief...the PRC are funding, not building.

17. weltweit

How many pages is the contract?

Google doesn't know. I think I heard it was 90,000 pages.

Can that be true?

18. BandWagon

And there's a force majeure clause in there too.

19. coley

coley Well-Known Member

"off the shelf nuclear reactors from long established suppliers" proven reliability and much cheaper, if we have to go down the nuclear road, wind and solar, inter connectors between here and Scandinavia ( hydro) Iceland ( wind, hydro and geo thermal)
    The range of possibilities inthis day and age are extensive, why go for a hugely expensive, untried, foreign owned facility??

20. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Hence Mays decision to have a further 'enquiry'
    kill the project by a thousand cuts;)

21. coley

coley Well-Known Member

1940?
    ;)

Hocus Eye. likes this.
  22. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Got to be a lot more to it than that, the new PM making a hugely controversial and disappointing ( to those with their noses just about to dip in the trough) decision on the cusp of every other bugger starting to party?
    And pissing off ( big time one of her own MPs)
    Mind you, watching his reversal from his 'it's in the bag, and slagging off greenpeace yesterday, to semi controlled apoplectic fury on the news tonight was exceptionally entertaining;)

23. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have spent the money on the assumption that this hugely expensive white elephant would be rubber stamped in its entirety
    could be I might give a tiny bit of reluctantly grudging respect to our new PM, if it plays out she isn't prepared to waste our money on giving huge dividends to foreign companies!

24. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Aye? Ever heard the term "paying the piper"? To imagine a major funder wouldn't have their fingers in every part of such a major development is frankly, ludicrous.

25. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Close but not intimate,both parties claim;)

26. coley

coley Well-Known Member

On the other hand there are other countries who can supply and build the reactors much more cheaply and who are in competition with China, Japan, N Korea etc, trade relationships are fluid and based on self interest.
    There are many more markets open to the UK,other than China and the EU, eg the ban on British beef to the US could be lifted shortly ( though it should never have been imposed in the first place)
    Aye, their will be problems, most of them self inflicted by 'remainers' desperate to prove their POV was correct, with scant regard to reality and the ensuing damage their constant doom and gloom bleating is causing.

27. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Got a link? Trying to figure out who is liable for what if it goes down the plughole;)

28. Obediah Marsh

Obediah Marsh Well-Known Member

The decision to build this thing was taken at a time when oil prices were at historic highs. That's no longer a concern.

29. BandWagon

90,000 pages.... who knows.

30. BandWagon

Not at the moment, but who knows what's going to happen over the life of the project?