Go ahead given for 2 new reactors at Hinkley Point

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Maggot, Mar 20, 2013.

1. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

if we have a cold winter this wnter, then probably around January / February if there's a big storm that stops the LNG tankers from docking for a few days that could be lights out / heating off / heavy industries on short time working.

More likely that the wholesale price of gas would go through the roof though before supply is miraculously restored. Apparently last winter we came pretty close to having no reserves of gas on the network, but some of the LNG facilities were holding back stores until the price went through the roof and they could then make a fortune simply by turning the taps on.

We've lost a huge amount of coal generating plant in the last 2-3 years, including something like 5GW since last winter, and this winter we've lost at least 2/3 of our gas storage capacity at a time when we're far more reliant on gas for electricity generation to get us through the winter than ever before.

I'll put serious money on the government attempting to blame renewables for any black outs if they happen, rather than their policy decisions particularly around gas storage.

2. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

The national grid is in serious need of upgrade too - it's not designed to take a lot of microgeneration (from, for example, solar panels feeding back into the grid). Plus as free spirit has pointed out there aren't many connection points, especially for offshore plants.

mather and NoXion like this.
  3. coley

coley Well-Known Member

It
    If we need " baseload replacement now" then Hinckley certainly isn't the answer, whereas the proposed Swansea lagoon, to a large extent, could.
    Or the proposal to run an HVDC connection from Iceland, both options quicker and much cheaper than Hinckley.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    a_chap and William of Walworth like this.
  4. coley

coley Well-Known Member

As regularly happens in Oz
    Renewable energy witch-hunt continues after South Australia outage

5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I'm a big fan of the Swansea lagoon project, but I'm sceptical that it will ever happen.

If Hinkley Point goes ahead and Swansesa doesn't, that would be an absolute scandal IMO :mad:

Know nothing :oops: ..... must Google :confused:

Edited to add the National Grid link -- interesting stuff!

a_chap likes this.
  6. coley

coley Well-Known Member

It was on the point of getting the go ahead but I think they got a tad greedy, their original 'strike price' was competitive compared to Hincley but prior to it being knocked back to review it had crept up to £ 123 pMW
    iIRC.
    ETA, Interconnectors: Iceland | National Grid
    Though things could be now a bit complicated because of Brexit;)

7. free spirit

There are quite a few connection points dotted around the coast, but they're mostly currently either taken by or reserved for nuclear plants.

Shedloads of capacity in megawatt valley now as well, which will probably end up extended out to the coast for connection to one of the offshore wind farms.

The grid's also undergoing quite a lot of upgrades to help it cope with this increasing level of renewables penetration with stuff like transformers with autochangeover for the tapping points to adjust the voltage as needed, which makes a lot of difference to the generation capacity that can be installed, particularly on industrial estates etc.

8. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

a_chap and coley like this.
  9. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I imagine that compared to constructing a new nuclear power station or tidal barrage, upgrading the grid nearby should be trivial.

coley likes this.
  10. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Same theme but 'related'

11. equationgirl

coley likes this.
  12. coley

coley Well-Known Member

The accommodation of RE power to a regional grid system is easily manageable in real terms, but the providers of FF base load don't want you to know this, many excellent articles covering this in @renewecomomy.

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

And bloody Noel Edmonds crowing 'told you so'. Unbearable!

14. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Getting the go-ahead tomorrow apparently

15. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

So no change to the pricing just some controls of future ownership stakes.

Nigel and dylanredefined like this.
  17. equationgirl

Having a golden stake in such future projects doesn't really mean energy security though, only that the government is notified if someone tries to sell their share quietly. If the government wants energy security then renationalise power generation and start investing properly in energy.

free spirit, Celyn and teqniq like this.
  18. William of Walworth

Plenty of Hinkley stuff (Guardian-- but not just the main feature, check Nils Pratley as well).

We could have time to get stuck into all that tomorrow.

For now, Damian Carrington's blog/article from today is pretty good IMO.

(But he lamentably fails to mention the Swansea Bay barrage).

19. coley

coley Well-Known Member

And they haven't allowed comments, where they have, it seems to just have allowed an avenue for frustrated remainers to vent their spleen, I imagine the unseasonable warm September is down to us Brexiteers-:)
    ETA, It's the Swansea lagoon, the Severn is where most want a ' barrage'

20. William of Walworth

Blame the not very good Swansea beer for that error :oops: :oops:

Lagoon yes. Bring it on.

21. William of Walworth

And I fully agree, this shouldn't be a Brexit issue really.

Even though I voted differently than you ;)

equationgirl likes this.
  22. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Europe can work on so many levels, trade, energy even migration levels but not on national sovereignty, if the Eurocrats had concentrated on the issues that matter, primarily domestic security, IE, energy, food production, welfare and jobs,than there would never have been a referendum but they had to concentrate their energies on the EURO superstate and it's implementation within their selfish political lifetimes.
    But now, we can hold our politicians to their promises, Mayday isn't off to a particular good start with her prevarications Re Hinckley point, if she goes ahead with HS2 and Heathrows second runway then she can be ditched alongside most previous Tory PMs as being a lying hypocrite, no surprises there:)

Nigel likes this.
  23. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

UK ministers rule out subsidies to boost gas storage

Meanwhile in unrelated news.....

Malcolm Turnbull says South Australia blackout a wake-up call on renewables

Like thermodynamics, the physics of radiative forcing brooks no political equivocation. Nature bats last and she bats very fucking hard. Tick tock.

Nigel likes this.
  24. free spirit

ft article is paywalled.

25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The Public Accounts Committee have had scathing things to say about Hinkleu Point:

Hinkley will 'hit the poorest hardest'

equationgirl likes this.
  26. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Still not going to stop it being built though is it, especially as the 'poor' are largely seen as unasprational scrounges by the Tory scum. Also far to many vested interests with too much to lose.

27. equationgirl

Not to mention how it would hit the supply chain hard. There's work ongoing to support the construction.

28. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Hinkley Point C been occupied for two days now by workers sit in over pay being docked due to weather.

NoXion, elbows and nogojones like this.
  29. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

NoXion, nogojones and teqniq like this.
  30. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...