Go ahead given for 2 new reactors at Hinkley Point

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Maggot, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Well that's true.

2. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Slaps Heid, and looks at the ABV of the SA white I was sloshing ATT;)

equationgirl likes this.
  3. coley

coley Well-Known Member

4. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Fair comment, but even putting the brakes on it is a step in the right direction, would even have a glimmering of hope in this new lot if she cancels HS 2:)

oneflewover likes this.
  5. Commentary: China-UK "Golden Era" not afford to be delayed - Xinhua | English.news.cn

"The "suspicious approach" towards Chinese investment pervading in the postponement actually triggers much concern that Britain might thinking of erecting a wall of protectionism, which will surely stain its credibility as an open economy and might deter possible investors from China and other parts of the world in the future"

" China-UK relations have long been taken as a model of relationship between developing and developed countries. Based on mutual trust, mutual understanding and win-win cooperation, bilateral ties have been peaked by last year's successful UK-tour of Chinese President Xi Jinping as well as Britain's participation in the China-proposed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
    If history offers any guide, many China-targeted suspicions have been boiled down to diffidence and distortion. China can wait for a rational British government to make responsible decisions, but can not tolerate any unwanted accusation against its sincere and benign willingness for win-win cooperation.
    After all, the hard-won momentum in China-UK relations cannot be wasted, and the Golden Era cannot afford to be delayed.
    "

make no mistake, whatever poltroons have stated earlier in this thread, China most definitely does care about losing face on this deal

BandWagon likes this.
  6. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Hope in a tory government? Hmmm.

7. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Oh, they are all bastards but this one might be learning a few lessons re; voting power, now, she has put the brakes on Hinckley, the real test will be HS2.
    How they can be considering that white elephant while the A1 is still just an A road in many parts of Northumberland is beyond me! but 50p in the £ for the SE and 1p in the pound for the NE isn't just a product of the politics of the last six years.
    The Swansea tidal lagoon project X5 would produce the same amount of power as Hinckley but it has been put out to 'review' be interesting to see if the new lot will back it.

8. gosub

gosub ~#

Not being an echo chamber, would be a strength for urban. Though you want to point me in direction of someone else pointing out the South Koreans would build for a lot less I'll read it

9. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

China's stretching its muscles a bit by the looks of it.

10. language is always important in Chinese statements- as I posted a while ago, they are well fucked off over this- fucked off to the point of making things very difficult for the UK to trade with the Chinese or any of its mates/ indebted client states. Well done PM May- maybe next time get shirty with a lower league opponent as a starter, maybe Andorra or the Vatican city. better chance of winning.

11. coley

coley Well-Known Member

It's not a case of getting " shirty" rather than taking a good hard look at a pile of Shyte they have inherited from Messrs Cameron and Osbourne.

ItWillNeverWork likes this.
  12. May is a tactless shitbag - whatever her views on the power station issue telling the Chinese to fuck off in such a manner is truly appalling diplomacy. Whatever grand piece of alchemy May has in mind for kickstarting the UK economy, you can be sure it floats on a sea of Chinese cash.

13. How would you have told them to fuck off?

14. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

How do you know she told them to fuck off? You have a direct line to the Foreign Office?

btw the current Chinese Ambassador is well known as a bit of a dimwit so if you want to gauge UK-China relations it would be best to disregard any untactful statements he comes out with.

15. of course i cannot back this up on a mb.

16. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

No Hinkley.....more full on Fracking...,.needs to justify.....watch that bribe cap go up ...baby. Git some

17. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Interesting that you seem much more bothered about May being oh so terribly rude to the Chinese, than about the merits** or otherwise of Hinkley Point as a project :rolleyes:

**financial? environmental? :hmm:

18. indeed. I will leave now.

coley likes this.
  19. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Eh? Your reply kinds of contradicts itself? May tells China to go FiS but expects China to continue investing here?

20. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Reclaimed Hong Kong;)
    IIRC the Chinese offered to extend the lease but the Thatch refused the offer?

21. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

22. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

NoXion likes this.
  23. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

Renewables almost certainly will be usable as baseload over the (supposed) life time of Hinkley C, by using new gen batteries. The US govt is pouring money into energy storage at the moment it's one of their Next Big Things. I know that "future technological breakthroughs" are often pie in the sky (say hello, thorium reactors), but high quality, low cost energy storage is an area that has seen huge advances in the last 20 years and there is nothing in principle very complicated about it, it's just there's been very little economic imperative to invest in it until now. It's a fair bet that in 10 years time the USA will be using renewables as baseload somewhere.

ETA - in 10 years time, Hinckley will not even be generating 1 watt, even if it gets the full go-ahead tomorrow.

24. Tankus

15 .....looking at the overruns of the other two " new" reactors EDF are involved in

25. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

We need baseload replacement now though, not at some point in the future when we can store more than 30 Mw in batteries. I've no doubt energy storage will help, but at the moment it's not quite there.

NoXion likes this.
  26. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

not according to the head of the national grid last year who agrees with what my take on it has been for a long time, that what we actually need now is flexible dispatchable back up / peaking generation capacity along with dynamic demand management to compliment the high levels of renewables penetration we're going to see in the next 30 years. In mine and his view the concept of baseload generation is obsolete.

Hinkley can't provide this, the severn barrage could, and they're competing for the same grid connection point.

Or to put it another way, solar and wind are baseload replacements as part of a generation mix that's properly designed to facilitate this.

The value of these renewable sources will be shown this winter when our gas storage level is going to max out at 1/3 it's usual capacity due to repair work this summer, so the more solar and wind generation we have in that period the less likely we are to have blackouts caused by the country running out of gas. Obviously the proper engineering solution to this would have been to develop additional big gas storage fields, but the government were too stupid to grasp this point and cut the funding so the projects to do this were cancelled... no doubt it will be lack of wind that's blamed if there are power cuts rather than lack of gas storage facility as a direct result of government policy decisions. Either way, wind and solar will be a lot cheaper than the gas generation this winter, particularly if we have a cold spell and do use up the gas from storage as then we'll be being held over a barrel by the LNG tanker owners.

27. Tankus

STOR diesel generator farms....The national grids dirty little secret...
    [​IMG]

28. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

I question the 'need for baseload now' - our elecricity demand has been steadily dropping for some time now and while everyone tends to agree we need more generating capacity the assumption that underpins that agreement is that we will need more electricity in the future, ie what isn't happening.

In the further future the assumption is probably more reasonable as transport is electrified (especially cars) but that's definitely not "now".

In any event, if we "need baseload now" then Hinkley is definitely not the answer since, as we know from the experience of Olkiliuoto and Flamanville, the timescale for producing electricity from a newbuild EPR is measured in decades rather than years. We'd be extremely lucky to get anything from Hinkley this side of 2030 and you'd be wise to assume 2035. In that 20 years, the technology landscape, especially relating to storage, will have utterly changed, almost certainly rendering Hinkley even more of a white elephant than it would/will be anyway.

coley likes this.
  29. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

Yes, unfortunately due to a severe lack of joined up thinking in government this is the end result of their auctions to supply dispatchable back up capacity at the lowest cost.

That's what happens when you've got clueless neoliberal economists in charge at DECC, and leave all this til the last minute rather than planning the transition and implementing it (as recommended as early as the 2004 energy review, which Tony Blair then vetoed and ordered a 2nd review that would come to the conclusion that nuclear was a vital part of the energy mix - this is why we're fucked now, we had a decade with no energy policy followed by a decade with an energy policy that made no sense and relied on nuclear plants that are simply not going to be ready in time to be of any use).

coley likes this.
  30. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

how long till the brownouts begin then? :( no internets. No hot water. The three day week :(

equationgirl likes this.