Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway to extend to the Cotswolds village of Broadway.

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Nov 24, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

I've never been on this preserved railway yet, even though I've been meaning to do so for ages - I particularly want to see the rebuilt Monmouth Troy station buildings.

The BBC reports:

WouldBe and Mapped like this.
  2. SikhWarrioR

SikhWarrioR And the Worms ate into his brain

The Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway could eventually end up at Honeyborne with a connection and acess to the [now being re-doubled] Oxford Worcester mainline

muscovyduck, editor and equationgirl like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looking good!

[​IMG]

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I have just found this.

"Chris Bristow, the line's finance director, said extending the track will enable the line to become one of the best in the country for steam services.

"It's hard to think of another heritage line that has the same kind of opportunities for future growth and development."

While it's good to see positive news about heritage railways, I wonder about these statements....
    The Bluebell recently extended to East Grinstead and is now looking to extend towards Haywards Heath, both massive extensions in their own right. Perhaps not quite the same scale was the 3 mile extension of the Swanage Railway to Wareham.

muscovyduck likes this.
  6. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

The already hugely popular Severn Valley line - which goes from the mainline station at Kidderminster to Bridgnorth - is still looking to extend from Bridgnorth to the mainline Stn at Telford.

That would be the shiz...

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

FWIW The Dartmouth railway that runs along the Devon coast takes some beating, closely followed by the West Somerset Railway. For length, the Grand Central takes is well up there. Don't know what others thing, but having ridden The GWSR and the other three and driven the GCR, I didn't find the GWSR particularly memorable.

8. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Do you have any source for this/info? I thought the railway itself wasn't that keen as there are a lot of engineering challenges in restoring that route, and they didn't think that it would increase the attraction of the line (given the current length is fine for most visitors). I know there are a few enthusiasts that are keen to extend (as there always is) but no serious backing as far as I was aware. Would love to see it happen though.

Other extensions in the pipeline are the K&ESR link to Robertsbridge (just got planning consent for part of it), the GCR bridge, Avon Valley towards Bath, mid Norfolk. Many other lines have ambitions but funding/volunteers are in short supply.

9. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Nothing solid, it's just something you hear about on local media - wouldn't be remotely surprised if what you say is true, and what I've heard is the deluded ravings of people with no understanding of the challenges...

That said, I'm pretty sure that I've heard something along that line (ha! See what i did there?) from the local councils and MP's with a view to a comuter line rather than just a heritage line.

muscovyduck likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I looked it up and it seems highly unlikely they'd ever progress to Telford. There is however another steam railway operation looking to expand operations in the area.

Could steam trains return to Ironbridge? « Shropshire Star

Telford Steam Railway - Wikipedia

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Woohoo!

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway appeal tops £1.3m - BBC News

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

I like! I've yet to travel on this line but it's on my list :)

paolo, kebabking and tim like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Video: