Global financial system implosion begins

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Falcon, Mar 26, 2008.

1. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Fucking idiots. We all had enough of them shafting us all when it all ended in tears last time round.

2. yield

yield zero

But this time it's different. They say

3. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

Deutsche Bankers being pushed out onto the pavements this morning.HR and seniors been in all Sunday with a red pen and a list of victims. Not representative of a global financial collapse as such ,rather the end of the line for a monolithic structure that sucked up everything in its way for a couple if decades and started to implode under its own mass. See ya later boys and girls

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    yield and teqniq like this.
  4. not-bono-ever

DB boss saying he is so confident that he is buying his own company shares

Deja vu- where have we heard this before?

5. gosub

gosub ~#

Hunch I know what commodity they bailed on but they do has a fantastic art collection to fall back on.

6. not-bono-ever

There will be tax advantages from amassing a massive collection - the big boys get heavy discounts by buying from primary market rather than auctions and suchlike. The capital growth cannot be discounted either, even taking into account the dogshit that will never turn a profit. I came across a massive Bridget Riley canvas hanging in an unused fire escape stairwell in one old city institution.

7. yield

yield zero

The Black Hole Engulfing the World's Bond Markets
    13/07/19

Yuwipi Woman, Falcon and ferrelhadley like this.
  8. gosub

gosub ~#

9. Falcon

Falcon Well-Known Member

10. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I'm afraid it's Ponzi schemes all the way down.

Falcon and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  11. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Someone, somewhere is growing my food!

12. gosub

gosub ~#

Actually one time when I modelled it turned out to be a terrapin

13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

What's the ratio of world agricultural value to derivatives value?

14. kabbes

I’m guessing... too small to measure?

15. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Yet your potatoes and milk are real. How about a Western European 100 year government bond issue paying 1.2%? Does that seem real?

16. kabbes

Do I get a piece of paper with genuine gilt edges?

17. yield

yield zero

Banks Sued for LIBOR Collusion - Again!
    26/07/19
    What if a sizable portion of global economic activity rests on magical thinking?

18. gosub

gosub ~#

19. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Love Mark Blyth.

20. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

So what are the key points he makes in this 100 minute video you've linked to?

Nylock, yield, Radiatori and 3 others like this.
  21. yield

yield zero

I'm about half an hour in. Not sure what to make of it. Good criticism of neoliberalism, inequality and austerity but hopefully it'll lead to some concrete analysis and some options for alternatives.

I'm not holding my breath or sure I'll stick to the end.

NoXion likes this.
  22. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I've watched it up to the questions.
    The first bit - comparison of past war consensus with neo-liberal consensus - is good for what it is. It is a bit too focused on economics and largely ignores the role labour. It would also have been good to go back further to pre-WWII and even pre-WWI, if you are going to propose ~30 cycles for crises in capitalism then I think you need more than two examples.
    The second bit on the UK leaving the EU I was less impressed by, I think Corbyn's policy is driven more by competing demands than some long term plan to hurt the Tories.

Nylock and yield like this.
  23. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

24. yield

yield zero

The Global Economy Lives in Wonderland Now
    Central banks have gone fully through the looking glass, and it’s time that everyone else followed.
    By Adam Tooze | August 1, 2019
    The world turned upside down?

Ming likes this.
  25. gosub

gosub ~#

Not quite. And some mergers of already Leviathan companies happening ..presumably because some serious players want to cash out. This near full employment. .how much of that work could be automated? And how much of a skills shortage is there in areas where that would be harder to do that? A good time to incentive training and reskilling

26. gosub

gosub ~#

Argonia likes this.
  27. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Very interesting. Worth noting that it's not CO2 "capture" per se because that carbon ends up being returned to the air via breathing and decay. I'd also like to know the power requirements and therefore the "nutirition per m² of solar panels" vs "nutrition per m² of wheat field".

Moving beyond agriculture would truly be a revolution.

NoXion and Almor like this.
  28. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Should amy hear or read of a good price for some land let me know.

29. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

#recession is trending at Twitter right now

30. yield

yield zero

Unit of China’s sovereign wealth fund takes over Xiao Jianhua-linked HengFeng Bank in third case of nationalisation since May
    09/08/19

gosub likes this.