Global financial system implosion begins

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Falcon, Mar 26, 2008.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

dow 547 off at opening

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

now 191.63 ahead

700 points in 25 mins???

3. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

This page should prove interesting over the next couple of hours
    Stocks

4. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

not really...

Dow +22.67% over the last year
    10 am NY time

5. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Please stop drooling. My computer is getting soggy. This is not the end of Capitalism.:D

romeo2001, moochedit, yield and 4 others like this.
  6. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Dead cat bounce.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  7. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

This narrative is about as gripping as the next hurricane to hit Florida / people fleeing / local news reporter standing outside. Story.

Market correct is a market correction. Automated bots: OMG.

8. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

I do not expect a change in the economic system
    I am merely luxuriating in the thought of weeping brokers.....:D:thumbs:

9. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Never bet against the house.

The Pale King likes this.
  10. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Dow will be under 23k by the end of Feb.

11. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Dow futures March delivery showing 24,215 currently

12. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

How about now?

13. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

14. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Both Reuters and Bloomberg have removed the Russell 2000 quote from their data - well their "free" data - should anyone have a spare $2k a month you'll get it
    The Russell is interesting as it measures mainly small cap biz price - get a better idea of the overall economic picture - few of the Russell firms make most of their money outside the USA - FTSE here is dominated (cap size) by international firms who have chosen to list on the LSE - the FTSE 250 being a better measure of UK co's health for example
    This correction will continue until such time as the Fed makes concrete its rate hike strategy - anticipating markets are nervous markets - T-Bill yields have risen in expectation orate rises, which in turn have spooked EQ Mkts - trade volume levels in real time, even with proper paid up info provide is difficult -
    This place gives mass of data from most of the world EX USA (NASDAQ only) and UK
    WFE Members
    Good for base data to calc long term trends
    You need to create an acct, it will then give you access to their databases and monthly reports.....BUT, cos they are compiled from data provided by members, it usually runs about 1 month behind, which means its useless for what is happening now but will give detailed breakdown in around 6 weeks.....oh handy....:mad::mad:

15. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

And now ?

16. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I'm staying out of equities for a while still.

17. Noble group - FE based commodity trading behemoth- possibly on the verge of collapse. Running losses of 5bn in 2017. Lots of banks and FE wealth involved in the debt. Systemically important but conversely not to big to fail . Lots of talking up the future prospects and reiteration of creditors full confidence in the management etc.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  18. gosub

gosub ~#

http://www.thisisnoble.com/#aboutus

manufacturing cant be that far behind

19. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

This is not currently looking like a great bet. It will have to lose >10% of its value in the next two days (sitting at 25,708 as at the end of 26/2).

20. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Yeah, it's still in melt up. Double top, you'll see ;)

21. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Yep. Still a good time to be out of equities.

22. kabbes

Not particularly, to be honest. It really depends on the fund. It's all still pretty flat over the last 3 months, which is an eyeblink in equity investment terms.

23. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

In terms of the whole of 2018, the question I ask myself is whether I'm more likely to gain 10% or lose 10% of my pension on any given investment. Right now I'm seeing plenty of downside room, and an upside that's shot it's bolt.

24. kabbes

I dunno. The value stocks will give you a 4% dividend yield, remember, which softens the blow of any downward movement. And where else are you putting your money right now? Bonds are highly vulnerable to the yield curve shifting upwards. Commodities are collapsing. I think one reason for the sustained high in blue chip companies is the lack of decent alternatives right now.

25. kabbes

This doesn’t really show much of a collapse, frankly:
    2201D1FB-4124-474D-94A7-9522ED236885.png

And this has bumbled around a lot in two years, giving it plenty of scope for value still:

78E0C1E1-5AFF-4E6F-BB37-A1D962AD121F.png

26. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I agree entirely with the "where else would you put your money" sentiment. There's the problem. The massive growth of investment money globally in the new Chinese, Indian, etc middle classes, plus the open money fawcets of QE - all chasing gains... While at the same time the only game in town - equities - are both over valued and jittering... And interest rates are about to rise.

We're 10 months pregnant for a nasty shock. Who knows what's going to give? You show 2 year charts. How about a 30 year chart?

27. kabbes

they would be boring, though, since prices before 2 years ago are all just lower

28. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

So we are just racing against inflation?

29. kabbes

A metaphor for life

In truth, you can take just about any 10 year rolling period and find that equities outperform every other class.