Global financial system implosion begins

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Falcon, Mar 26, 2008.

1. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

Good-oh.

Wouldn't you be happier posting on Conservative Home, or do you secretly enjoy ranting about leftist fearmongers on Urban?

gosub likes this.
  2. gosub

gosub ~#

Thread title was a fair one, and it's been informative. Ripples from 2008 still being felt. Of your EIs one is plain wrong and the other not one I'd rely on.

Industry sector I've been in for 30 years only really starting to collapse now.... Off what happened in 08

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Nylock and NoXion like this.
  3. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

"the system" has not imploded because it was put in cryogenesis & kept hooked up to an artificial life support system called QE run by Central Banks..like in Alien when they freeze people in a pod before the monster can burst out of their stomach

the questions that follow from that are

- what happens when they switch the machine off & interest rates go up given astronomic debt levels higher than they were in 2007
    - what do they do to bail us out when the next ton of shit hits the fan

4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Literally over the moon

I am not going to insult your obvious intelligence, but can you think why stock markets might be at al all time high and get back to us ?

yield and NoXion like this.
  5. hot air baboon

oh and WTF...WT actual F !!???

Britain's missing billions: Revised figures reveal UK is £490bn poorer than previously thought

Global banks and international bond strategists have been left stunned by revised ONS figures showing that Britain is £490bn poorer than had been assumed and no longer has any reserve of net foreign assets, depriving the country of its safety margin as Brexit talks reach a crucial juncture.

A massive write-down in the UK balance of payments data shows that Britain’s stock of wealth – the net international investment position – has collapsed from a surplus of £469bn to a net deficit of £22bn. This transforms the outlook for sterling and the gilts markets.

“Half a trillion pounds has gone missing. This is equivalent to 25pc of GDP,” said Mark Capleton, UK rates strategist at Bank of America.

So our professional bean-counters are in error to the tune of a quarter of our GDP - not exactly a rounding error is it ?

And what possible confidence do we have in anything they now tell us about the nation's balance sheet

I now conspiracy theories aren't too popular on here but this all smells rather odd

6. gosub

gosub ~#

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

so theres no magic money tree but theres a fucking massive money pit.

Almor, not-bono-ever, yield and 2 others like this.
  8. gosub

gosub ~#

nah just massaged figures getting corrected back to normal.

9. BemusedbyLife

BemusedbyLife Well-Known Member

How the fuck can you lose half a trillion pounds !?!?!? I mean I can understand how you can lose a £1 coin damn things are always dropping down the couch or behind the radiator but come on half a fucking trillion?
    my Dad gets in a tizzy and starts hunting for missing receipts when there is a £20 difference between his bank statement and his copy of Quicken, annoys my Mum no end. How the fuck do you get to half a trillion without someone saying "Er hang on a min guys are we sure about these numbers?"

10. gosub

gosub ~#

look at the graph, the anomoly is the last projection not this one

11. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

My Bold: ...As predicted by the 'lefties" at the start of the thread you fatuous twerp.

12. yield

yield zero

Calm before the storm? Major central banks must act fast to prevent another global crash
    16/10/17

not-bono-ever likes this.
  13. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Banned Banned

One reason is that most intelligent people didn't buy all the doom and gloom and fear mongering emanating from leftists in 2008.

14. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Who are these intelligent people and who are the leftists?

15. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

So what are you saying, that austerity was all based on a bunch of bullshit and slashing spending on ordinary people was absolutely pointless?

Because not long after 2008 there were people like you dribbling on about "we" (i.e. working people) had to make all kinds of sacrifices based on specious reasoning that compared national economics to personal finances.

Almor, Jeremiah18.17 and Nylock like this.
  16. hot air baboon

Idaho likes this.
  17. Happy Larry

Not even remotely accurate. You're not very good at this, are you?

To put it as simply as the English language will allow : I am saying that the prediction of an implosion of the global financial system, as predicted in the thread header, was just so much fear mongering bullshit.

18. Happy Larry

19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

mojo pixy likes this.
  20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

as simply as i can: you're a liar

21. Nylock

and as simply as i can: not a very good one either

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. Nylock

He's a fucking genius at this compared to you. I included in bold the bit you omitted in your eagerness to land that 'killer blow'. You really do have to put more effort into this. Dare to be original.

E2A: You might want to look up the OP of this thread and their posting history oh Tory crusader.

Pickman's model and NoXion like this.
  23. Nylock

It will be a pleasant surprise if this pound-shop Littlejohn responds with specifics. But you know he won't....

24. gosub

gosub ~#

I'd rather he just fucked off.

25. existentialist

Except that it actually happened, and was then used as the justification for nearly a decade (and counting) of austerity. And, lest we forget, the subsequent Conservative governments have speciously continued to insist that the whole thing was the product of Labour government policy, as if that was going to be enough on its own to trigger a global financial crisis that is still reverberating.

As opposed to the way that, say, the continuing expansion of PFI contracts, etc., somehow isn't money our kids will end up having to repay?

Why am I even bothering to reply to this halfwit?

26. gosub

gosub ~#

If we'd had chapter 11 or proper regulation of AIG the contagion would nt have been anywhere nearas bad. Labour's sloped shoulders 'it started in America` wasn't a good look... But a Tory government would have been just as in awe of Greenspan as Brown was. There's more than enough blame to go round

27. Happy Larry

Of course it didn't, you twit. The system has continued on it's way despite the odd recession.

28. Happy Larry

Apologies...this was a duplicate of the above post which I cannot delete.

:facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  29. existentialist

Ah. I hadn't considered that you might inhabit a parallel reality. That explains a lot.

krtek a houby likes this.
  30. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Interest rates expected to rise in 2 weeks, first increase for a decade!