Global cannabis legalisation watch

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

2. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Greebo likes this.
  3. yield

yield zero

The Italian army has grown its first successful crop of marijuana
    Independent Friday 01 May 2015

4. ruffneck23

5. yield

yield zero

:thumbs:

6. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

yield and Greebo like this.
  7. yield

yield zero

Chile cannabis decriminalisation: Lawmakers move to let people grown their own marijuana
    Independent Wednesday 08 July 2015

Greebo, Enviro and Idaho like this.
  8. spliff

spliff New Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Greebo, Idaho, yield and 3 others like this.
  9. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I've been watching the police and prison budget developments and disputes in this country. The government want to find a way to stop funding the drug war without seeming to back down from their position of moral opprobrium.

In the last debate in parliament someone was still trying to push the line that cannabis has been shown to have x or y additional danger so shouldn't be legal. It seems that there is still a big shift that needs to occur to agree that risk and moral disapproval are not sensible or practical as things to be managed through the criminal justice system.

Greebo, BigTom and Libertad like this.
  10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I think no politician in this country dares to be in charge when the change comes in. They and their tame hounds in fleet street have been banging the drum of 'drugs are evil' for nearly 60 odd years now, its been a convenient go to moral panic to sell a few more papers or get a policing budget nodded through. They're terrified its worked and being the one who does the decriminalising is gong to cost vast swathes of votes.

11. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I think that they might just brazen it out if:

a) They can slash budgets
    b) They can make it seem like a local policing decision
    c) They can play the "I personally don't approve but am prepared to (appear to) sit on the sidelines and watch (so I can benefit from both failure or success)"

Greebo likes this.
  12. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Yep - it'll be interesting to see how those PCCs who said that they didn't have the budget to police cannabis play out, if it leads to a situation of practical legalisation then maybe the politicians will just let it slide, ignore it and hope nobody forces them to do anything. There's enough speakeasy style coffee shops already, I wonder if in one of these places, you could open one publicly - I reckon you might get away with it if you went about it quietly/discreetly but you can be sure that someone will do it with as much publicity as possible and that'll get busted for sure, as previous ones have. I dunno, I fear we need another generation before it finally drops away, maybe even two but it's dropping elsewhere so much now that I'm thinking one at the most, and hopefully less.

Greebo likes this.
  13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I would like to see some proper analysis of the period from when it was decided to downgrade cannabis to class c, to when it was moved back up again to class b.

I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention at the time, so my memory consists of little more than:

It was downgraded without a huge amount of fuss initially.
    Tabloids etc were playing with stories about the coffeeshops that wanted/attempted to open here.
    Later heavier fuss began, including media that fancy themselves as educated and relatively progressive freaking out about the 'young people schizophrenia' link.
    It was upgraded again.

I've also heard it explained as a story routed in the beliefs of our PM's at the time. Put as simply 'Blair favoured the downgrade and Brown was against it so reversed it'. I haven't even checked the timing to see if this is plausible.

Worst comes to the worst given the usual reactionary suspects hampering progress in the UK, gotta wait for pressures from the rest of the world to mount. If it continues to be normalised and legalised in various other places, raises lots of tax revenue, and official attitudes change at the UN and EU level, it won't guarantee it will happen here, but it gives such a campaign a more solid mainstream footing.

In the meantime we get the crap austerity version. The less crap but still austerity-driven version involves raising tax from it, the crap version just involves resource-strapped police forces deciding their priorities don't include certain types of possession.

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The level of social acceptance it reaches elsewhere is bound to affect the timescale, and I can imagine the sorts of tax revenues being made in certain US states are catching peoples eyes even if they don't intend to do anything about it now, there will be desire somewhere to get in on that act.

As for getting away with a coffee shop now, I doubt it. The sentiments various police seem to express when pressed mostly involves personal possession and the growing of an extremely small number of plants. I think they are still likely to do something about businesses that are concerned in some way with supply.

In practice, via anecdotal evidence gleaned from the fresh adult generation who started at my workplace a few years ago fresh out of school, the most common way to get repeatedly busted for possession here is cars. Still live at home, want to smoke on many evenings, park the car somewhere stupid for a smoke and attract the attention of passing police. And before then when they were too young to drive, the equivalent on foot, albeit often easier to run away or do something with the evidence. I'm not sure how much that will change despite police budget cuts, though I suppose it might.

Greebo and BigTom like this.
  15. DotCommunist

look at the Independants pro decriminalisation campaign around similar time and the volte-face that was basically about 'super skunk' as if its 'oh no its not that stuff WE smoked at uni its now proper bad'

Greebo and BigTom like this.
  16. DotCommunist

and cheese/strong skunks can be a bit intense but its ludicrous to suggest as they did that its a new, deadly harsh variant. Most people who have 20-30 years on me have spoken about how good the gear was back in the day and how the modern stuff is merely acceptable. Leaving aside nostalgia and built up tolerance, they can't ALL be talking rot

Greebo likes this.
  17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Cant do it, remember how pathetic it all was at the time. It went down in my book as being the same shit as the point of the brass eye drugs scene where the presenter talks about his middle class acceptable heroin habit.

(20 seconds into this video)

Greebo likes this.
  18. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Cannabis classification in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wiki says yes the timing fits.

I agree pressure from elsewhere is going to help, but I can see the UK being amongst the last to decriminalise and legalise. I remember smoking in cars when I was younger and later thinking about how lucky I was not to get busted, I got busted smoking in a park after the pub aged 17. You're probably right about an open coffee shop, but at some point, if we're going to have a pragmatic legalisation rather than an actually legal one, that's what'll happen first.

Greebo likes this.
  19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The fact they seem to have started getting cannabis mentioned as at least part of some cause of death officially stated reasons, and then compiled into the official drug death statistics, is not going to make it any easier either. I may go hunting for those figures right now.

edit - Turns out I've actually got no idea when they started doing this, just because it was news to me.

The official data I was looking at has a chart covering 2010-2014, with Cannabis deaths for each of those years, so it didn't just start recently.

2010: 11
    2011: 7
    2012: 18
    2013: 13
    2014: 31

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  20. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I think the nations drug laws pivoted on Rosie Boycott pulling a whitey.

Greebo and Wilson like this.
  21. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I think that cannabis as a cause of death really means "no idea, but amongst other things that happened they also used cannabis... Which is meant to be bad so err... Cannabis must have done it".

Greebo and purves grundy like this.
  22. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

23. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Anyone know if the Canadian legalisation will happen in 2016?
    =====
    Colombia fully legalises medical marijuana
    Colombia fully legalises medical marijuana - BBC News

Colombia's president has signed a decree fully legalising medical marijuana in a shift away from preventing drug crop production.

Juan Manuel Santos said the move put Colombia "in the group of countries that are at the forefront...in the use of natural resources to fight disease".

But, he said, the country would still fight illegal drug production.

Up until now, marijuana production in Colombia had fallen into a legal grey area.

While a 1986 law allowed for the manufacture, export, sale and medical and scientific use of marijuana, the practice was, until Tuesday, never formally regulated.

Anyone wishing to grow marijuana must now apply to the National Narcotics Council for a licence. Medical marijuana is used for medical ailments such as Crohn's disease, seizures, HIV and nausea.

Last year, Mr Santos, who has admitted smoking cannabis while a student in Kansas in the 1970s, said legalisation would take drug production out of the hands of drug traffickers.

A number of countries in Latin America have decriminalised or legalised marijuana use in recent years, as have US states such as Colorado, Oregon and Washington. Uruguay fully legalised the production, sale and recreational use of marijuana in 2013.

Colombia has been plagued by decades of drug-related violence, and is better known as the world's biggest producer of cocaine, along with Peru.

Greebo and purves grundy like this.
  24. TomUS

TomUS non-resident

This doc should be shown in legislatures all over the world. Maybe it would change some minds. The war on drugs is American prohibition all over again.

25. ruffneck23

Hasn't congress quietly stopped the Feds from being able to prosecute growers and sellers of medicinal marijuana ?

26. TomUS

TomUS non-resident

I don't think so. The Repubs control congress & I can't imagine them doing that. I think Obama did.

27. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

28. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Greebo likes this.
  29. DotCommunist

'what sort of cunt keeps voting lib dem?' I ask myself in amazement.

NoXion and Greebo like this.
  30. DotCommunist

'I'd put up with a homophobic bigot so long as he lets me have a spliff legally'

really? if theres ever a further advert needed for the incredibly asnine self centered politics of a lib dem voter...

NoXion likes this.