Global cannabis legalisation watch

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

So despite California voting against it last year it looks as if Colorado and Washington have voted to legalise it
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/07/colorado-washington-marijuana-moment

I think this will be a growing global trend, and in our life time we'll see it legalised across the EU too (and taxed of course).

I thought it might be worth having a slow burning thread for news and chat as things develop.....

So re Colorado and Washington:
    It will be interesting how this translates across the US. I dont know enough about US legislature to comment - there must be some contradictions there - so if anyone has any thoughts Id be interested to hear them.

purves grundy and stuff_it like this.
  2. xes

xes F.O.A.D

we'll have to wait for the old duffers in parliament to die off before any real change happens. A new mindset will appear with ones who have been brought up in generations of the last 20 years or so. But we have to wait for the dinosaurs to become extinct. (with the Torys around, this may take a while)

3. ska invita

not necessarily - heres a scenario:
    Washington and Colorado are successful 'pilots', and the policy spreads across other US states. The tax revenue figures become public knowledge. Financial crisis in the US and EU deepens further. Southern European countries legalise to raise funds (Portugal has already decriminalised), northern european countries follow, and UK will eventually catch up. Thats not that implausible I think.

muscovyduck and Callum91 like this.
  4. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

Potent herbal mixes have been legally available in most US states for years now, which makes the marijuana debate seem a bit pointless.

5. ska invita

i think theres a point of principle at stake here.

Greebo likes this.
  6. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

but people are still getting locked up, sometimes with ridiculous sentences for possession. Sentences for felony possession (over an ounce) can be up to ten years!
    That's the real point. The war on drugs is criminalising thousands

7. Dr Jon

Dr Jon so many beers, too little time Banned

Legalisation would upset business for criminals with hands inside politician glove puppets.
    The last thing these folk want is to be hindered by regulation and taxation.

Greebo likes this.
  8. phildwyer

Yes, but I don't know why they bother using an illegal substance when there are identical legal ones available.

Most probably the same will be true of all drugs soon.

9. ska invita

im not familiar with this alternative - all the legal high cannabis stuff ive tried (once) wasnt nice.
    anyhow, its a point of principle, cannabis shouldn't be illegal full stop - its "control" is completely unjustified.

Thimble Queen and Greebo like this.
  10. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Because some of the effects may be similar, but they're no more identical than two blondes are interchangeable.

OTOH maybe they are to you.

11. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

They're not quite identical Phil....you can OD on them

Greebo likes this.
  12. phildwyer

What, on "spice" and stuff like that?

13. phildwyer

On the contrary. If you have one "blonde," why would you want another? Especially if the other one was illegal?

14. Yetman

Yeah, it's small amounts of chemicals (JW-XXX among others, the JW's have been banned over here now) sprayed onto inert vegetable matter, however you can get the chemicals pure if you so desire. If you smoke too much you'll start tripping out and if you ingest too much of the pure chemical then, well, lets say you'll be in trouble whereas with weed, there only the possibility of whiteying if you smoke too much.

15. phildwyer

Oh right. It seems to be very popular in the USA, tons of "smoke shops" sell it.

16. Yetman

Oh it works, don't get me wrong, but given the choice, I bet 99% of people would prefer the real thing if it was legal and available :)

17. Greebo

Because although they might look (and feel?) similar, the illegal "blonde" is far better for some things than the legally available one. Cannabis has more uses than relaxation, enhancing some types of music and enabling you to see things not seen when lucid and sober.

gentlegreen and spawnofsatan like this.
  18. Greebo

Incidentally, can anyone tell me one of these legally available "recreational" highs which is a non-neurotoxic antispasmodic (ie. unlike Baclofen which is prescribable) and also treats nausea? :hmm:

Edited to add: If it can also lower blood pressure, enhance nightvision and improve sight for people with cataracts, that would be a bonus.

19. dylans

dylans overlord of all acorns

Legal highs and research chems only exist because of illegality and in my experience they are usually a poor substitute. A potentially dangerous substitute too. This is one of the great ironies of prohibition and criminalising drugs. The legal alternatives are often more damaging to health than the banned substance. I have never tried the legal high versions of cannabis such as spice etc but this is certainly true of ecstacy where the RC alternatives are often untested chemicals. and of course, as soon as a legal substitute turns out to be any good it is soon banned too.

Thimble Queen, Dr Jon and Greebo like this.
  20. Yetman

Yep, then they cut the good illegal stuff with the new, bad illegal stuff and everything just ends up fucking shit, and the kids, the kids think the mdma or acid they're getting, which is actually PMAA and DOC is actual mdma and acid and they go around fucking themselves up on it. Then you get loads of reports of people dying of mdma or acid when in fact, they're dying because the legal bad shit, which is now illegal, has got into the illegal good shit, and turned it into illegal bad shit, which nobody fucking wants but everyone will take if there's no good shit around, which there won't be because nobody knows their fucking shit any more! :mad:

iROBOT, teqniq, Fez909 and 5 others like this.
  21. GB4

GB4 Please join the organ donor list!

Norml uk membership cut to £4.20 for 24 hours today.

22. ska invita

yeah GB4.....I know....[toot]....exactly what you mean..........
    [​IMG]

stuff_it likes this.
  23. ska invita

The future....

[​IMG]

24. Greebo

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

25. It's interesting to consider why cannabis, a massively useful crop, was made illegal in the first place. One theory is that the vested interests of the logging companies (producing wood pulp for paper) and cotton growers (along with allied agro-chemical industries) wanted to eliminate the competition posed by hemp production. The moral panic around cannabis smoking and the ensuing prohibition was manufactured as a smoke screen (lol) to further their business interests...

26. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

27. Dr Jon

Dr Jon so many beers, too little time Banned

28. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's swings and roundabouts. We have had a few years of cannabis being the most evil thing in the world. Now we will get everyone chilling out about it until the next hype. Last time the cycle was started by Rosie Boycott in the Independent going all out for legalisation, then recanting a few years later after pulling a whitey. The bounce was matched legally by the move to class c then return to class b.

The campaigns in the us were very well run. Very targeted and professional. In comparison the lobby here are just a scattering of loons and losers.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/06/regulate-marijuana-billboard-goes-up-near-mile-high-stadium/

29. ska invita

30. ska invita

Greebo likes this.