1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glen Campbell - RIP

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by marty21, Jun 22, 2011.

1. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Sad news this, a great singer, a big list of classics, my fave is Witicha Lineman, there's also Galveston, By the Time I get to Phoenix, Gentle on my Mind, Rhinestone Cowboy...

He's on a final tour, playing at the Royal Festival Hall in October, never seen him live, have booked tickets for this one - will be a bit of a sad occasion

he's 75, but Alzeimer's is a vicious condition :(

apols for the mail link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-suffering-Alzheimers.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That sucks :(

3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I fucking love Rhinestone Cowboy so much.
    Not the greatest song he has done mind. Have a lot of his vinyl.

Sad to hear but he had a fast life, walking these streets so long

Plumdaff and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Stoat Boy

Stoat Boy Banned Banned

Sad news. :(

Never sang Karoke in my life but have always said that one I day I will do so for the first and last time and that 'Witicha Lineman' would be the song I sang.

'And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time' has to be greatest line in popular music ever.

5. rorymac

rorymac Well-Known Member

A fantastic guitar player as well :(

6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Fuck, terrible news.
    Great singer and his last album was excellent, he even managed to make a Travis song sound good.

7. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

That's sad news. I love 'Witcheta Lineman'. 'Southern Nights' brings back memories, too, although it's very cheesy.

He played bagpipes, you know.

9. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

I had the biggest crush on him as a child and knew the words to just about every song. One of my favourite's was "where's the playground suzie".

It's sad to think that soon he won't be able to remember the lyrics.

:(

10. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I saw him in Croydon a few years back and he played them like a demon.

This is sad news.

Favourite song: Galveston.

11. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Oh that is so sad :( - Mr. QofG's was talking about him the other day, how he had played as a session musicians on some of The Monkees records (along with Neil Young).

He has produced some beautiful music :)

12. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Love that, and every time I hear his cover of By The Time I Get to Phoenix I just break down

This is really fucking sad. Poor Glen :(

13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Very sorry to hear about this :(
    He was in the original True Grit film playing the part of the Texas Ranger wasn't he?

14. marty21

he was - he wasn't a great actor tbf -

15. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Poor old Glen, rotten illness that.

16. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

Aawww sad. Heard his music a lot as a lil one. My great uncle n aunt were big fans.

One of my favs too cos it's mah name innit.

17. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw "Ride me sideways" was another one

That's a rotten thing to happen. His versions of Gentle On My Mind and By The Time I Get To Phoenix are two of my favourite songs. I didn't know he played guitar on Pet Sounds until moments ago!

18. MellySingsDoom

MellySingsDoom Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric

I honestly can't add anything to the heartfelt things all the other Urbanz have said already - what a dreadful thing to befall anyone too :(

19. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Just seen that he's got a new album coming out in August.

20. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

A few years back he came to London to do some gigs. One of the local London radio stations had him on and I rang in to try and chat to him. He was very easy going so I took my chance. Showing some reverence I pounced "Mr Campbell, If I sang Wichita Linesman would you join in with me? To be able to tell my grandchildren I sang with you would be a great thrill"

"Go ahead and sing...no problem".....I am a lineman for the county...he joined in straight away and we sang the first verse!

Ladies and gentleman, I have sung with Glen Campbell.:)

Plumdaff, danski, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  21. marty21

that is lovely!

22. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

:D:cool::cool: Knocks all of my fangirl moments into a cocked hat, that. Nice one!

Ponyutd likes this.
  23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He was interviewed on the news earlier. Top man.

25. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

Did anyone hear Soul Music on R4 yesterday about Wichita Linesman? Well worth a listen. I love Glen

Ponyutd - that's an ace story :)

Ponyutd likes this.
  26. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

27. marty21

Just got back from seeing Glen Campbell, he was awesome, for someone in the early stages of the disease, he was word perfect on the lyrics, sometimes forgot which key he was supposed to be playing in, the band helped out (3 of his kids play in the band) .

There were plenty of older fans there, when the support act were on (which included 2 of his kids) an old man climbed the stairs slowly towards the back row(we were in the back row) he didn't notice that his wife had taken a funny turn, by the time he realised she was sitting on the step, it was too late for him to go back, 'she gets dizzy' he said, 'and i get dizzy too' so he sat down for most of the half hour set:D there was a woman next to him and he kept asking her if his wife was ok, 'She's still sitting on the step' she said.

Eventually after about 30 minutes, he makes his slow way down, they are now sitting in someone else's seat. The rightful seat owners turn up, and turf out the pensioners :eek: who then had to make their way back slowly up the stairs

he had in the meantime gone off and bought his wife an icecream though :cool:

28. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

Did he mention me? :D
    Nice one marty.

marty21 likes this.
  29. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel " fill your hands you son of a bitch "

Twitter says he's passed away today.....looking for sources, anyone?

30. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel " fill your hands you son of a bitch "