Glastonbury Fayre - rare film from 1971 is bloody brilliant

Discussion in 'festivals' started by editor, Jul 19, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is fantastic!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This was the line up for '71:

Joan Baez
    David Bowie
    Edgar Broughton Band
    Arthur Brown
    Fairport Convention
    Family
    Gilberto Gil
    Gong
    Hawkwind
    Help Yourself
    Henry Cow
    Magic Michael Marsupilami
    Melanie
    Mighty Baby
    Pink Fairies
    Quintessence
    Terry Reid (w/ David Lindley and Linda Lewis)
    Brinsley Schwarz
    Traffic
    The Worthy Farm Windfuckers (house band feat. Thomas Crimble, Johnny Hodge and 'English' John Fox)

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

ive watched that Terry Reid set before...I think the whole of it is online somewhere

its great stuff

littleseb and editor like this.
  4. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Very entertaining film. Co-directed by an uncredited Nic Roeg.

Lot's of pictures and recollections of that years festival here.

I've still got my copy of the benefit triple album with the cut out pyramid :)

ska invita likes this.
  5. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i had one of them, with all the gumpf it came with! but sold it....this one
    [​IMG]

6. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

The 1971 festival wasn't as good as it used to be.

paolo, planetgeli and Sirena like this.
  7. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Is the film in post one the original Nic Roeg film then? I'm surprised it clocks in at just under an hour and a half. We got it on DVD ... I think :oops:

Would love to get hold of that album, even if unromantic CD form. Was it ever re-released?

(No time to check just now).

8. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

and thus the legend was born - more due to Andrew Kerr than Michael Eavis as the now obscure Nick Turner (ex Hawkwind) likes to remind us in his dotage. Andrew Kerr was the acid-gobbling the toff with all the artist connections . Michael brought the farm , his sobriety and an ability to bring order from the chaos. Hence why it has lasted so long.

William of Walworth likes this.
  9. phillm

Thomas Crimble is still going he joined Hawkwind later and is / was part of Nik Turner's Space Ritual.

10. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I think Nick Turner possibly lives in west Wales now. My gf, who knows him, bumped into him quite bizarrely and coincidentally at some kind of educational careers jaunt a couple of years back where he had a stall publicising his music teaching. She hadn't seen him for about 30 years since London before that.

11. phillm

He's a nice bloke when you meet him , almost nice old geezer shamanic if you get my drift - ultimately he probably pisses off a lot of his long time contemporaries by forming ad-hoc bands at a whim and veering off in the search of a few bob for his 'pension'. His saxaphone playing is an acquired taste - but once acquired is never lost. He's confined to a small claque of admiriers in the Mandala stage of the Green Fields now on his annual Glasto jaunts. IMO Space Ritual fronted by Nick with Thomas Crimble , Terry Ollis amd Mick Slattery are/were an amazing old'skool psychedelic rock band.

Nik Turner | Glastonbury 40 Years On

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  12. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

There was an unauthorised 2CD/1DVD set released about a decade ago. My recollection is that there were complaints about the sound quality - probably dubbed from vinyl. Rights issues make an official release unlikely. Some of the tracks have been released on albums by the artists concerned and a number are on youtube.

It's not all recordings from the festival. The album was intended to raise money to cover the loss the festival made and a number of the tracks were donated by artists. (Including some - Pete Townsend, Marc Bolan, Grateful Dead - who hadn't played at it).

My favourite is this live excerpt from Mighty Baby (featuring Martin Stone who sadly died last year).

13. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Nice to see 'Jesus' (nee Clive Jellett) keeping his clothes on at a festival for a change.

14. Alice Cady

Alice Cady New Member

15. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I was 8 coming up to 9 years old in June 1971, but if there was ever a fantasy I wish was actually possible, going back to Glastonbury 1971 would be the ultimate!!! :( :eek: :cool:

Our mate Martin managed to get to sub-legal Glastonbury in either 1977 or 1978, both of which were Traveller events which Michael Eavis reluctantly co-operated with -- they happened on his land. The first legal/paid for fest after that was Glastonbury 1979 ...

My own first Glastonbury was 1984 -- I cycled there from Stonehenge Peoples Free Festival ("all of June 1984").

My main regret, and a major one, since June 1984, was not making it back to Worthy Farm until June 1994
    ( :( and :mad: at self)

Been to every Glastonbury since 1994's one though! :cool:

2019 will be my 22nd :) :D (and 10th working :) )

Eva Luna likes this.