Glastonbury 2019

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Riff, Oct 1, 2018.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I was initially confused :confused: about that camper van ticket sale thing today .... however, good on all who managed their Hill of Death site occupation though ... :p

Still, I just also rememberered that if we massive fail to get our jobs in April :eek:, our van stays here in Swansea** and so do we :( :mad:
    **Or possibly Portugal in Glasto's absence, with warmer sunshine (most likely ;) ) near Oporto than late 2019 near Pilton too ;) :D ;)

2. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

West campervan field avoids the hill of death!

William of Walworth likes this.
  3. William of Walworth

True enough, but West CV field also imvolves a walk of about 17 miles to get on** site ;) :p

++ and also off,:thumbs: late at night

4. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

So do some of the East CV fields; the ones furthest from the gate are probably as far from the action as any on the West. Anyway, a stroll in the morning clears the head, and I don't recall any occasion walking back at night!

5. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

A year or two back I spent a happy couple of hours in the middle of the night dealing with a trackway malfunction that had vanished under a puddle and was rather dangerous- just steering people past it until a crew could fix it. That was on a busy track towards the west campervans. I did not find morose people on a 17 mile trek, resenting every blistered step, instead they'd carried on partying and many were happy to dance round my puddle, spreading the love. Almost made me wish I'd got a campervan, but nah, I like my tent too much.

6. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

[​IMG]

Mumford and sons confirmed for Saturday and Coldplay for Sunday. Cliff Richards will fill the oldie but goldie slot and Geoff Boycott will take the place of Mark Radcliffe as BBC correspondent stuck in the mud :cool:

7. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

The karmic winds that influence such things have meant that I didn't get tickets initially....but now have managed to get hold of two for my wife and I. Only downside is that because we weren't expecting to be going, we didn't try to get campervan tickets and they've all sold out. I guess there will be a few in the April resale? Are there other ways to get them? Is it easier to buy and sell them than the full tickets? Thanks!

8. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Anyone with any insight to share on this would be the receiver of much adoration and maybe a cider or two....

9. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

There will be some in the resale. But, also, some appear in dribs and drabs, randomly. Worth putting a change spotter on the relevant page, for automated notice of any changes. Also, you might get away with buying one off someone else, if you were to say when asked about the mishmatch in names that he's coming down to join you the following day. But it's a gamble.

10. William of Walworth

Only six months to go now before it's REALLY Xmas!!! :D :p

Happy Glastonmas
    to all Pilton-goers/Glastonbury-lovers :) :cool:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Ted Striker and Riff like this.
  11. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

This year because I have time on my hands I am planning to walk to Glastonbury from Essex on public footpaths , 230 miles , 14 days , early in the planning stages but walking The Thames Path from Woolwich to Goring , then crossing to follow the Ridgeway to Avebury and then Pilgrims way to Pilton . Looking forward this year more than usual .

Riff, Ground Elder, mojo pixy and 4 others like this.
  12. William of Walworth

That sounds like a superb plan hammerntongues and I'm sure you'll enjoy it .... :)

But it does force the question : will you be carrying all your festie tat with you? :eek: :p

13. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

no , walking with just a small rucksack and essentials , 3 t shirts , pants , socks , waterproof , hopefully will be able to wash once on the journey . I am a lucky man as I have friends who live within 3 miles of Pilton and will stay there , my wife will be driving down more sensibly . Over the years I have gradually backed away from hardcore camping , now I go out at around 2 each nigh and return refreshed , showered , shat ( spell check ? ) . girls all come in on Sunday locals tickets .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. William of Walworth

Lucky locals and their guests! :thumbs: We know a couple who live in Pilton too, and we envy them .... :hmm:

But as we're crew, who stay in a crew area, and who own a van, so our camping is far from hardcore anyway :D :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  15. William of Walworth

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Chemical Brothers apparently have hinted they might play too.

Lots of people are excited by Janelle she's on jazz apparently

17. William of Walworth

Hot Jazz hopefully :D ;)

Some or even most of that crew ;) still refer to it as West Holts ;) :p

Bring on the Janelle there anyway ? :)

18. Worked stage crew on West Holts/Jazz for the past 3 festivals but have a 7month old kid now so can't excuse taking 1/3 of my entire annual leave to go live in a field for two weeks.

Will miss it. A lot.

19. William of Walworth

Shame to hear that, Whagwan :(

We know one or two of your West Holts crew colleagues ;) and we enjoy hanging out there ...

Whagwan likes this.
  20. mrscooker

mrscooker Member

Congratulations on the new arrival! Sure you will be missed too. (Bet you won't miss that Monday morning hangover though).

21. Thanks.

TBH a Monday morning hangover is fine, it's the Monday morning Light and Sound breakdown and truck loading with a hangover that's the killer!

22. William of Walworth

Weak excuse for a bump this :oops:, but this is the Glastonbury 2019 thread! :D

Our Info Crew applications were put in a fortnight ago. Ours must be among the later (?) crews to get peoples' places confirmed though, we won't know until early-ish April :hmm:

<obligatory period of irrational paranoia follows :oops: :eek: >

We do know that if we're successful again, and we're actually quite confident, our crew training will happen in Bristol :cool: in early June, on a Sunday we're definitely free for too (we had to go to Taunton for training in 2017 because the dates fell less well)

chainsawjob and Riff like this.
  23. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

if it's any consolation, our forms turned up about 10 days after you put yours in. In 2017 it was late May before any sort of confirmation appeared.

24. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

There's me thinking that having to wait 'till beginning of Feb to apply for an Oxfam steward post was bad.

25. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I feel very lucky that mine was confirmed just after Christmas especially as it’s my first Glastonbury with this team.

26. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I think that's worse tbh. I knew 2 years ago I'd be going unless we were told the whole crew is being scrapped. Yours is an application process with no certainty of success, and involves many more people, so it should be handled as sensitively as possible. When would be the ideal time, should it be before the public tickets are sold?

27. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I don’t know if that would be possible any more because it’s so early but certainly before the resale so people have a slight chance of tickets if they can’t work.

28. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

I maybe should have been a bit clearer to say that I have regularly stewarded since '99 and that it is just the wait for the application system to open up that is the kicker when you hear others say they have already been confirmed. The current process is set up to confirm places before the public ticket resale starts up.

29. William of Walworth

Piece of minor interest from Somerset Live.
    On February 22nd, Mendip District Council granted the Festival permission to increase their overall capacity by 7,000. Total now possible, including performers and staff : 210,000 :eek:
    But that article also claims Glastonbury will not be taking advantage of this new permission this year ... :confused:

30. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand