Glastonbury 2017

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Riff, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

I will say it, best friend you can have at Glastonbury is a bike with pannier racks. So easy to get stuff too and from the car and you can mission into Shepton for ice, drinks and food.

spitfire and Miss-Shelf like this.
  2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I rode a bike at Glastonbury for the first time this year. Courtesy of an urb too :thumbs:. Admittedly only drunkenly through the cider bus crowd, but it was great fun. And nobody seemed to mind :hmm:.

colacubes likes this.
  3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

My friend runs the 'bike to Glastonbury' scheme, over 1500 participants this year, some from as far as London :cool:

paolo and William of Walworth like this.
  4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

The OH wants to do this one year. Not sure I could cope with cycling from London tbh :D Bristol maybe.

5. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

They have a great time! Kit in the vans and then a cycle, on site secure lock up and hot showers, nice camping etc.

He's always over subscribed.

PursuedByBears and colacubes like this.
  6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

the bike park is rather impressive
    IMG_20170624_165014.jpg

paolo, ddraig, wiskey and 1 other person like this.
  7. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Numbers wise that's more than the "swim to Bestival" lot but I'm slightly less impressed :p

Maybe this year they'll be swimming FROM the IoW to Dorset

Riff likes this.
  8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

fairplay I didn't know about that.

It's the thought of getting on a bike and pedalling home afterwards that forms the insurmountable barrier to such a madcap scheme. As well as all the hills. How on earth would you persuade your body to do that on the monday after the sunday before?

wiskey and colacubes like this.
  9. JTG

An Oxfamer I know cycles to and from Glastonbury. Saw him off with his panniers loaded down etc on Tuesday. Not sure where he lives mind :hmm:

10. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I reckon I could muster the energy if I lived in Pilton, maybe Shepton... Not much further

11. JTG

I wonder how effective Shangri La's theme was this year, both for the festival and people's wider behaviour. They were very in your face about rubbish, litter etc. Pictures of the left behind stuff after previous festivals with "WTF fam?" and "Don't be a dick" over the Truth stage. There was a profoundly depressing art installation - a scaff tower draped in plastic bottles. 200,000 of them I believe, the number of bottle thrown away and not recycled every three minutes. Lots of other stuff like this.

The festival ban on plastic bottled water for staff shows an intent to tackle this stuff more. The Water Aid refill points were excellent (I know they weren't new but I actually used them this year).

I guess time will tell

12. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

What does "WTF fam" even mean?? I was :confused: about that while there ... I expect I'm being a dick though :D

13. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

What the fuck fam. The fam in this case means friends/mates. It's young people speak William of Walworth :D

paolo, ddraig, moose and 1 other person like this.
  14. William of Walworth

Two of our crew in our field have electric pushbikes, and recharged them while at work. They swear by them, simply for getting around site :)

One of them bought it in 2014 because as a Glastonbury veteran who cycles, and who's not much younger in years than me, he'd been getting fed up of the ride between Castle Carey station and Pilton ... route may include hills :D

15. William of Walworth

Yeah but I'm an unashamedly old git and didn't know! :oops: :p

(WTF I obviously knew, but it was "fam'' that was bothering me ... )

colacubes likes this.
  16. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I used two plastic bottles all week and one of those was reclaimed.

We didn't give out bottles at work and instead gave cups and pointed to the tap opposite, nobody seemed bothered.

I'm fairly sure that the cups are less recyclable than the bottles but we had 10 crates of water we never used at the end.

17. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Did Napalm Death also mention female safety at gigs during their set? I don't recall it, but someone else has told me they did. If so, it got raised by five of the acts I saw (well, First Aid Kit were highlighting rape injustice in general, but I'm counting that).

eta: Just seen it confirmed in an article. My brain is working a bit funny this week.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  18. JTG

Yeah I popped by your work on Tuesday and was offered a load of water :D Shouldn't think it'll go unclaimed anyway.

19. JTG

Yeah they did. Also reproductive rights n that

alsoknownas likes this.
  20. JTG

Saw two Big Issue sellers working this year - is this new or have I just missed it in previous years?

21. William of Walworth

We chatted with one friendly Big Issue man selling not far from our Info stall.

I'm near-convinced I've never seen them at any previous Glastonburies though?? :confused:

22. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I've seen BI sellers there before, but obvs we've not been for 10 years.

23. William of Walworth

OK! Your memory's clearly better than mine, and I was at several of the same Pilton Pops as you back then. Can't recall .... :oops:

But I'm near sure there've been no sellers in the last few.

festivaldeb was also surprised to see our Big Issue bloke last week.

24. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

This grim story from 2003 refers to a Big Issue stall, which I remember...
    Music festival peace and love marred by overdose death and gun attack

25. William of Walworth

moose : Horrible story, but that article looks to me to be dated 27th June 1994 (under the byline, Louise Jury). Just that it's misleadingly tagged 'Glastonbury 2003' in bigger letters.

Makes sense that the article's from 1994, because that shooting incident got a fair bit of publicity back then. The Levellers (referred to in the article) headlined that year too. Also there's a reference to the 80,000 crowd.

If I ever saw that Big Issue stall back then, I've forgotten over the last 23 years .... for the Big Issue, it would make more sense for there to be walkabout sellers, as this year. And being walkabout, there might? have been others last year and previous years. Odd that we haven't noticed them though until now.

26. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I got really confused about the shooting before I realised the date was wrong.

We had a BI seller this year come and get some r&r, I didn't ask him how he got to the festival or if he was doing good trade.

27. JTG

Just watched Stormzy's set on the Other Stage. He seems very popular.

Mosh pits still not as lively as Napalm Death's though ;)

28. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

Stormzy was great in places. ...not so great in others. The Sheeran thing at the end was revolting.

moose likes this.
  29. JTG

I struggle to follow vocals focused music tbh, largely cos of me knackered hearing so stuff like that passes me by.

Didn't realise the Sheeran thing was a Sheeran thing cos I largely avoid Sheeran if I can possibly help it

30. William of Walworth

Moderately only, if it was the same bloke as we chatted with ...