1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glastonbury 2017

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Riff, Sep 22, 2016.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We were chatting loads about Glastonbury on Saturday evening during my London visit, I was left tempted to look at clashfinder to find all about these so called line-up leaks but then I decided against looking. I'd rather just indulge in the odd bit of idle, baseless speculation and wishful thinking** :D

**About Glasto 2017 weather, not the lineup :p

2. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

You are. Glastonbury Festivals Ltd gets very cross at staff who refer to festival goers as punters. They insist on not using the phrase in fact. They call them festival goers, and they see them as the most important people on site.

138-True-Story.jpg

William of Walworth likes this.
  3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Having said that it's common to hear ticket holders called punters across the festival scene although there's a definite drive to phase it out.

It's the ticket holders who make the event, it's them who finances everything, them who bring vibrancy and energy when crew are fading fast, them who vote with their feet ... if the people don't come festivals fail - Bestival, Big Chill, SGP, Sunrise. Glastonbury must be doing something right.

4. William of Walworth

Thanks for that Gerry1time and wiskey -- there's always something Info crew need to be reminded about.

I did know, but I've been guilty (on here and on site) of using the 'punter' word myself sometimes ... often, even :oops: :oops: :(

And I don't recall this particular thing as something that's been emphasised in our crew training. So if the need to avoid calling festivalgoers 'punters' isn't brought up by our team leaders at our Taunton training this year, I'm going to make a point of raising the matter myself ... in a nice way like :)
    I'm sure they agree anyway.

Gerry1time likes this.
  5. William of Walworth

Assuming our jobs actually get confirmed :eek: :hmm: :p

6. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

I don't see the problem tbh. They get treated with the appropriate care and respect whatever I call them. Same as when I worked in the NHS

newbie likes this.
  7. William of Walworth

That's also fair enough! :)

8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

We definitely have service users, but then we provide a service.

9. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

Is there? Going to have to do a serious re-write of the FAQs if that's the case. e.g. 3rd paragraph "the contents of this piece of work are based entirely on my own independent punter's perspective." :eek:

10. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Cautiously impulsive

Yeah I've noticed a drive to phase it out, I remember it being mentioned not to use it maybe 4-5 years ago, and now it feels slightly awkward to say it, like there's some value judgment in it. Ok if festival-goers describe themselves as punters, less comfortable when it's crew saying it.

11. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Sound like the new terminology should comprise Ticketholding Snowflakes, Site Crew Snowflakes, Organizer Snowflakes, Catering Snowflakes and Performing Snowflakes. Awwwww.

12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I use the term punter all the time, both when it applies to me, and when it doesn't. It's fine. Everybody knows it's a bit tongue in cheek.

mojo pixy likes this.
  13. William of Walworth

I might just politely ask in May about the view of the use of 'punters' on our crew then, as neutrally as possible! :oops: :confused:

14. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I mean if you really want to talk about something, let's talk about 'Babylon' :D.

15. JTG

Yup. I use it to describe paying football fans, people who go to the cinema etc etc. It's a descriptive word for somebody who has paid for a ticket/service/experience.

Meh

16. JTG

Aha. Nail on the head there :D

alsoknownas likes this.
  17. William of Walworth

I've actually been asked where Babylon is ... Not sure whether the 'punter' wanted to head towards or away from there though ... :p

alsoknownas likes this.
  18. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

yes, I can't see what the fuss is about, it's been in common usage for as long as I can remember.

Long gone are the days when punter was a word used only by bookies (or prostitutes) to describe their clients or whatever it is that's supposed to be derogatory about it. Google reveals that modern dictionaries seem to agree that it's got a meaning of "a customer; a user of services or buyer of goods", or "A customer or client, especially a member of an audience". That meaning also occurs in our paper Collins, from 2001 but not in our Shorter OED from 1973, which only mentions the gambling definition.

And let's face it: buying a ticket for Glastonbury is a gamble, there's no guarantee of having a good time, just a high likelihood (ie the exact opposite of betting on the horses, with a high expectation of losing).

19. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

You do realise Mr Green Tea that Glastonbury was founded and continues to be run by the nearest thing we have to a living god - and your comments - if one could call them that - amount to low level blasphemy. And if Michael were more demonic than he is absolutely not then such heresy ought to be rewarded by burning you at the Stone Circle. And as trolls go you are not fit to wipe the un-fluorodated silver colloidal sweat from Jazzz's brow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Steady on :D

21. JTG

He's a daft old farmer who fancied a go at hosting a party. He's as silly as the rest of us

22. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

23. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

He's an incredibly privileged middle class white bloke from a very prosperous family based in a very rich village. He went to posh school and got a very good education, he then built on the fortunes of his ancestors on the family farm.

I'm not saying he isn't a lovely chap, but there's more to him than just 'music festival God', shrewd businessman for starters.

24. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

Hugely. One whose heart and intentions are entirely in the right place, but he's very canny when it comes to bargaining. Comes from attending so many cattle auctions apparently. Don't know if it's still there, but a few years ago I noticed down at Red Gate, outside of the festival time, once all the security and signage is cleared away, there's still a proudly displayed and permanent looking sign about him being a breeder of premium holstein cows.

25. William of Walworth

While I do agree ...

TBF I think phillm was taking the piss a bit there :D

alsoknownas likes this.
  26. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

don't quote me on this but I think that relates to the dairy unit which is or was his neighbours.

this says he has Holstein cattle
    Top Dairy Farming Honour For Glastonbury Festival Founder Michael Eavis | Auto Trader Farm UK

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Gerry1time likes this.
  27. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

eh:confused:. Yes it is! having a ticket/going to Glastonbury is surely absolutely guaranteed you will have a good time!

Even if it shat it down with rain the entire time, my tent got robbed, and i had to spend a night in the medic tent through overindulgence, im sure i would still be able to have a blast :D

28. Riff

Riff B@nned from eGofestivals

Anyone else receive their "ticket balance reminder" e-mail today? :)

colacubes likes this.
  29. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Yep :thumbs:

Riff likes this.
  30. JTG

It's not for everybody and I had a genuinely shit time in 2007. I've known other people give it a go and hate it