Giuseppe Mascoli: Franco Manca owner and Market Row entrepreneur

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Having read the article I do not think its tongue in cheek.

2. I normally do a take away from Franco's. Can't be arsed with queue and its much cheaper, quicker, tastier etc than other local pizza take options.

kittyP likes this.
  3. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Castello was ace, now I go to Bar Lenuccia in what used to be the Union Tavern on Vassall/Camberwell Road :)

4. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Castello were excellent pizzas, if the over powering smell of garlic didn't knock you out when you walked within 100 yards of the place, then it was a fantastic experience.

5. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

Castello was shit IMO. Had a lasagna there once- it was cold in the middle.

6. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

It didn't close, it just moved to Jamaica Road - see http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-8712.php Only a short distance from Bermondsey tube station.

The original Franco's was the best. I ate their once a week for a while, with noticeable results on my waistline. It sort of went off a bit when the place in Clapham opened.

7. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

(continued) Although from reports it seems like Castello now has a new owner and has become ordinary to poor.

8. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

Think Eco started off in the market, in the spot where Franco Manca now is, then Eco opened the Clapham site & Franco Manca took over the old Eco site in the market. (They may have been more linked than that, ex-employees of one or the other).
    I remember eating at Eco in the market, have never actually got round to trying Franco Manca.

9. fortyplus

fortyplus smug git

I thought that the original Franco's (was it the son of the original Franco?) opened Eco in Clapham, and then rebranded the Brixton place as Eco - which was a mistake - and then sold out to Mascoli. Possibly with a bankruptcy through over-borrowing for the two places along the way. But the original was definitely Franco's in Brixton.

10. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

That sounds both more complicated & more accurate than I remember :D a cats cradle of linking.

The bit where Eco-that-used-to-be-Franco's became Franco-Manca-that-used-to-be Eco sounds familiar.

11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Perhaps it is otherworldly to them, especially if the come from the closed media community in Hampstead and Highgate? ;)

12. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

This thread is like my whole life passing before my eyes in pizza form.

I used to work for the London Bubble theatre based in Rotherhithe and we'd recover from a particularly tricksy youth group with a pizza in Castello. Then meet in Franco's early lunchtime on a Saturday. Then when it became Eco I won a free meal for two by devising and naming a new pizza in a competition advertised on the back of a Ritzy flyer. And I invited a work contact on a date for that free pizza...and he is now my partner.

plurker, trabuquera and fortyplus like this.
  13. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

:D

14. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

I liked Pangaea. Or was it Pangea? Because you could sit down, in a room, and eat your pizza. An idea that seems laughably old-fashioned today.

gaijingirl and Rushy like this.
  15. oryx

Oooh yes, I liked Pangaea (not sure either how to spell it).

16. ash

ash Inittogether

Well said when my grandmother in law was shopping in the market in 1944 I don't suppose it was 100% exclusively Afro-Caribbean, very lazy journalism indeed.

Gramsci likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. Here's a scene from 1977:
    del.jpg

And here's how it looked in 1966:
    del.jpg

And here's a scene outside the market from 1952:
    del1.jpg

[All images from http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/]

oryx, Gramsci and mxh like this.
  18. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Wasn't that where Atlantis* is now to be found, or is my memory playing tricks on me? Good place - used to split my pizza orders between that and Franco's/Ecos, with that strangely moreish lemongrass chicken number.

I've still a little bit of a soft spot for Ferndale's. I can't claim that the pizzas are in any way distinguished, but it's a likeable enough place that I've enjoyed on my few visits there. Cheap and friendly, a decent place for a meet up. It's survived for 20 odd years, which is no mean achievement in itself.

*As in the ambitiously named bar on the site of Taco Joes, sure to be a crushing disappointment. It has a sign and logo that belongs to a provincial kebab shop ffs.

RaverDrew, ash and Gramsci like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm afraid my expectations-o-meter for Atlantis is already set firmly at zero. Their flyer is a shocker.

20. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

They are by far my favorite pizza I have ever had. apart from home cooked.

I have only qued if we have left the house with the sole purpose of going there.
    The ques go really quickly. I have never waited more than 5 minutes.

Oh fuck it can't spell que properly can I :facepalm:

21. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

yes.. it is. Always wondered why they closed down..

22. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

23. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

RaverDrew, editor, oryx and 4 others like this.
  24. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Pizza Pilgrims is better, Berwick St Market and various locations

25. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Cheers will check it out.

26. oryx

My favourite is Pizza Metro - they have branches in Battersea and Notting Hill. They sell square pizza by the metre, very simple toppings but delicious.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

you Londoners and your queueing for restaurants is beyond me.

(and pizza, ffs! Surely there's a limit to how good crispy flat bread with stuff on it can be!)

29. TruXta

TruXta tired

:rolleyes:

editor likes this.
  30. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

You could not be more wrong. Any fool knows that there is NO limit on how good pizza (or other toast-based meal concepts) can be.
    You'll be denying that heaven can be found in a good pie next ffs. :p

RaverDrew likes this.