Gilet Jaunes / Yellow Jackets

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by cantsin, Nov 30, 2018.

1. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

with the news today that the Gilet Jaunes protests have spread to Belgium, with similarly enthusiastic / militant street approach on display, I've been looking around for some insight as to how much right wing / fash involvement there is / how exaggerated it is, what the extent of organised / or autonomous working class involvement is, what the immediate focus /demands are outside of opposition to the diesel / fuel taxes, where it's all going etc.

Decent / basic Counterfire piece below, but anyone with any other pointers / insight, would be interesting to hear.

Yellow Jackets: a high-vis uprising sweeps France

Patteran likes this.
  2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Caught me in my few minutes here today:

On the Gilets Jaunes: Dispatches from France

The following is a collaborative effort of translated analyses from France focused on the Gilets Jaunes movement between Agitations, Carbure, Otto Mattick & Ediciones inéditos. More texts will be translated in the coming days.

3. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

I didn't want to just title the thread , 'Oi , Butchers, can we have the lowdown plse', but .... ta / appreciated !

4. Jeremiah18.17

Jeremiah18.17 Well-Known Member

5. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

SYL's lot will be wearing them for their Brexit March apparantly . Gen Identity must have seen the future .

6. copliker

copliker ...

mojo pixy likes this.
  7. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

I find Dialectical Delinquent to be helpful for aggy stuff in France and I hope they do get a chance to write some reflections on the character of the movement. 'til now they've been cautiously suggesting that the absence of Party/Union leadership leaves the space open for wide participation which includes the far left as well as the fash who have been trying to speak for the movement.

Signal 11 and not-bono-ever like this.
  8. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Really grateful for the links, thank you. My take has been very simplistic. BBC has been sympathetic in its coverage, therefore GJ is right wing. Any protest against tax is smiled upon by the Sarah Sands of this world.

taffboy gwyrdd likes this.
  9. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

In two paragraphs, the liberal position that rioting never makes a difference, why that's bollocks, and their favourite method of trying to discredit its legitimacy. Quite efficient writing from the Graun there really.

Hundreds of arrests in Paris as ‘gilets jaunes’ protest turns violent

cantsin and Mordi like this.
  10. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

50 years since '68 and it seems the traditional blocs of France are not yet able to fit these protests in their established grand scheme thinking of things. The involment of the banlieue and their sentiments is an anomaly that seems to hard to assimilate for them from what i have read.

11. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

my gilets are all orange. this will continue.

12. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

Ruby says fuck les flics

20181129_212516.jpg

13. Bavid Dowie

Bavid Dowie Active Member

Paint stripes on her and she can be Bruce Lee

twentythreedom and tommers like this.
  14. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

Wow - this is really kicking off:

[​IMG]

Apparently a police assault rifle has been stolen... some reports of police snipers positioned on rooftops. Head of the police union is apparently advocating for a period of martial law...

Badgers likes this.
  15. where to

where to Well-Known Member

there have been big riots in the recent past in France, but it can't be stressed enough that the violence yesterday was on an unparalleled scale. the CRS/ police completely lost control, with barricades, car torchings, looting and violence all over central Paris. its really hard to get a sense of numbers, but the initial scenes around the Arc de Triumphe only involved maybe 1000 gilet jaunes, but the CRS were completely unable (or unwilling?) to deal with them. my sense was that for the CRS, their heart wasn't in it. that spells huge trouble for Macron. more joined as the afternoon wore on. figures suggest around 8000 in Paris in total.

in terms of who's making up the numbers, this isn't a left protest but its not a far right protest either. its not entirely a-political but it maybe wishes to be - this is what makes it so dangerous to Macron. he's gifted an issue which unites all the disgruntled under a single banner (or gilet). trade unionists and communists were asked to leave one protest in Normandy, but the objection appears to have been their insistence on introducing union/ party flags and banners etc. there is certainly far right involvement, but maybe more their voters than their activists. there is no far right symbols, only the occasional french flag. yesterday appears to have drawn anarchists and insurrectionists. what the protests are, overwhelmingly, however is provincial. this is not a Parisian movement, or an urban movement. that means the protests are fairly white, but not entirely so by any means. this means there was rioting and disturbances in some pretty unexpected places: Tours for example. that in turn means that Paris can't simply be swamped with provincial Police/CRS.

it will be over to Macron now. the authorities will surely be telling him that they cannot contain this.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  16. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

This is being reported as anti-fascists (on the right) confronting fascists, including Yvan Benedetti (who later tweeted a pic of himself bloodied)

spitfire likes this.
  17. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Interesting article in the Guardian, similar to Thomas Franks' ideas on the U.S.

btw, not one article in the G on the G/J's has been open to comments, I wonder why?

18. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

If you live in Paris you probably don't own a car, so at least the fuel protest element doesn't have direct relevance until you get far enough away that you need one.

What do you think about this in comparison to the 'Karcher' riots?

19. where to

It's hard to compare. The 2005 situation continued over several weeks across the whole of France. The worst of those incidents were more sporadic hit and run arson attacks than the more traditional rioting which we saw yesterday. There were no buildings burnt down yesterday and no deaths. So 2005 was certainly worse in that sense (although there have been 3 deaths outside of Paris since this started).

The 2005 incidents generally took place in areas the Police have limited control over at the best of times. What made yesterday perhaps more shocking or certainly surprising was that it was in the very centre, it went on for hours and the Police seemed to retreat or were incapable or unwilling to respond. Considering trouble was fully expected, that still surprises me. There has been nothing quite like this in the centre of Paris for a long, long time. Possibly 1968. At the end of big marches you always have a set piece ruck between the CRS and the hundred or so stragglers, drunks and those who came to fight, but these are set piece affairs, almost ritualistic, and whilst there's always tear gas , broken bottles etc, and a sense of disorder, the Police are in truth fully in control. This was not the case at all yesterday.

20. where to

The reason I stress the scale and extent of the incidents is because this is really not reflected in coverage here. This is really significant stuff.

21. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

F09CA697-118B-4618-85B0-A1FA28CCA20F.jpeg
    Hype in Canary Wharf.

crossthebreeze and sunnysidedown like this.
  22. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

spotted in cambridge on saturday.

Attached Files:

tedsplitter, Rob Ray and Badgers like this.
  23. copliker

copliker ...

Badgers likes this.
  24. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

There's translations from French of a mix of positions across the anti-authoritarian left here.

I haven't read through them all yet, but I was quite amused by this; "Everything that moves is red, any anger is revolutionary and you can make chocolate cakes with the leftovers of a zucchini gratin."

likesfish and crossthebreeze like this.
  25. Jeremiah18.17

Some school students kicked off in Northern Paris suburbs this morning:

gawkrodger and Badgers like this.
  26. Jeremiah18.17

Badgers likes this.
  27. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Signal 11 and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  28. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

I can see that pic being in a few "retrospective on the year" pieces in magazines.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  29. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

You can do a lot of damage with a pressure washer, but you're very limited by the length of the cord. :(

Also, it's really an either/or thing if you're also into Molotov cocktails.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    likesfish, Libertad, Dan U and 3 others like this.
  30. Serge Forward

Serge Forward Well-Known Member

teqniq likes this.