Getting to Cumbernauld

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by pogofish, Oct 16, 2017.

1. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Can anyone comment on the best/cheapest way to get to Cumbernauld by public transport from either Perth, Dundee or Stirling?

First/rail site seems intent on foisting a sleeper journey on you, despite there being no sleeper trains serving Cumbernauld - so I've had enough!

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

pogofish likes this.
  3. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

I found the following on the scotrail website for £22 single or £37.50 open return:

Dundee > Stirling > Camelon > Cumbernauld

Takes roughly 2 hours depending on which time you travel.

pogofish likes this.
  4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge arbiter of taste and expert in all things right

Depends which your preferred departure point is. From Stirling, it's bus. I used to go regularly to visit a mate. It was the 80s. He lives in Linlithgow now so I take the train now. But Stirling to Cumbernauld, definitely City Link. But maybe it's the buses with the cartoon of Dara O'Briein on the back now.

If however, you're leaving from Perth, I'd still choose the one of the coach companies. You may have to leave from Broxden, though.

From Dundee is different. If you're leaving from Dundee, I'd get the coach from there.

pogofish likes this.
  5. pogofish

Thanks - Stirling, then the is the preferred/most practical option I think. Will try and take it further tonight.

danny la rouge likes this.
  6. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Post some pics. Must go see the modernist wonder myself some day.

pogofish likes this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

won't be one of these though

[​IMG]

:(

19sixtysix and pogofish like this.
  8. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Why are you going to Cumbernauld, let alone by public transport? Pm if you like :D

9. pogofish

Sadly I'm not going - which is why I'm looking into public transport for someone else but the last time I was there, I have to say the Centre had been pretty heavily fucked around by 1990s/early 2000s-style retail shite development and attempts to soften/humanise the overall environment. It wasn't what it used to be.

I may have some photos from the early 80s somewhere, before the revamps started. It was quite an experience then. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Poi E likes this.
  10. pogofish

I think I've been on one of those back in the 1970s though - Was cycling around central Scotland and took a day-off to rest my legs at Stirling YH and went to Culross by bus - except the bus driver got it in his head that I was going to be applying for an apprenticeship at Longannet Power Station and threw me-off there!

Maybe I should have taken his advice...? :D

11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

it would have been hard to travel much by bus in Scotland at any time from the 60s to the late 90s without travelling on something similar - the Alexander 'Y type' body (built in Falkirk) was the standard Scottish Bus Group single deck bus / coach (you could get them with coach style seats and / or windows) and was in production from 1961 to 1983. (some were bought new by English operators and many more moved south of the border in the late 80s after cuts due to deregulation)

A significant majority were on the Leyland Leopard chassis, and some of the SBG companies were still buying what was largely 1960s technology (minimal power steering, manual gearbox) in to the early 80s.

I did my PSV training / test on one (ex Western Scottish) in the 90s