1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting started in Liverpool

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by ed marimba, Nov 22, 2017.

1. ed marimba

ed marimba Well-Known Member

Recently moved to Liverpool. After a horrific year I figured a new start was the best idea, chose Liverpool because it seemed like there was energy there, I'm an artist , musician, I felt like there was quite a bit happening creative wise.
    I got a nice flat next to Crosby beach with Anthony Gormley's statues. So far, so good.
    Except that I'm not doing anything. I have met a singer and talked vaguely about projects but that's about all. Its related to the horrific year I mentioned. I didn't realise how much toll it had taken but I'm seeing it now. Self confidence is a slippery customer at the best of times but right now I can't find any.
    And you need to have that. I underestimated the difficulty of establishing connections in a big city starting from scratch, not knowing anyone. I was just thinking about finding a place to live but that's the easy bit compared to getting out there and meeting people, doing stuff.

A couple of questions
    I have done a couple of open mics so that's a start. It was OK but are there any where its more than just playing acoustic guitars, Where a wider range of performances happen ,Like electronic stuff for instance. Anyone know of somewhere like that at all ?

Beyond open mics I have a full set I'd love to be able to perform, even as a support. Its made up of music, with spoken word , video in various forms and the pieces flow into one another without gaps. I leave space for impro and spontaneity so it is never the same twice, I try to tread a line between experimentalism that doesn't descend into dull repetition and wannabe elitism
    I can provide all the gear except maybe PA so I guess I would like to find a promoter/venue on the arty side. Interested in new ideas. Again, any tips gratefully received,

OK, I know I have to do this for myself but shyness has always been a problem of mine and now more so than ever. I would be interested in joining a spoken word group., sort of thing where people can bring their stuff, read and talk about it in an informal setting. That would be just the thing in many ways

Baltic Triangle seems to be hub , the creative centre so I must get down there. Just not sure where to start, is it co-ordinated from an HQ of some kind.I'm sure that people will be nicer than in my greatest crises of self doubt, where I envisage myself being a total flop, a Southern ponce given the cold shoulder of an established clique. cliques may well exist but not control everything. I hope.

This is all rather feeble I know but at a time when I'm in a less than ideal mental place, I'd very much appreciate any tips to get some momentum going. Then its up to me of course but I hope I can find a way to get involved . I'm sure I couldn't have chosen a better location, so full of energy. But at this moment I feel pretty isolated and maybe in need of a bit of a shove. There's more to life than watching Pointless on your own, there'd bloody well better be at any rate.

Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  2. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Liverpool definitely a good choice :thumbs:. Its a long time since i was involved but there's a bunch of people there a sort of collective who have several big old buildings in the centre of town that they're still able to use in a meanwhile arty squattish way, you might find them friendly and a way in to something you are interested in. This website looks like it hasn't been updated for a decade but they are still there. tao
    They used to have a cafe going with open mike nights but i think that's turned into a starbucks now .There's also this place which I don't know who runs it now but used to do interesting stuff. Programme | The Kazimier

ed marimba and moon like this.
  3. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I really do think London has lost it's creative edge due to high rental costs/shortage of housing etc etc.
    I thought Glasgow was amazing due to the sheer creative energy I experienced there, something London had before everyone got in bed with the Bankers and destroyed the place.
    Anyway good luck with your Liverpool experience..

bimble and ed marimba like this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

get a dog. lots of people strike up conversations with dog walkers. plus companionship.

5. ed marimba

ed marimba Well-Known Member

I see you are urban75's "most liked poster" . Bloody hell.
    But anyway well done. I expect it feels great and worth every penny, worth :oops:all the effort I meant to say

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Have you asked in the record shops? Try Probe (near the Bluecoat, centre of town), and there's a couple up/off Bold St (main drag in town) too.

81 Renshaw st cafe is an up and coming venue, with performance space front (free) and back (minimal hiring fee) and a record shop in the basement.

bimble likes this.
  7. sojourner

There used to be a lot going on in Seel Street too, dunno if that's still the case.

8. sojourner

Don't think there's an 'HQ' for the Baltic Triangle, folk just set up a load of stuff there

9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Seel street number 104 is soon to be a thing I hear (big old building they're going to open as as arts venue of some sort).

10. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

The Baltic triangle is definitely the creative hub of Liverpool at the moment.

There are a few venues etc listed here:

baltictriangle.co.uk/venues

News From Nowhere, the radical bookshop on Bold Street, often has info about interesting happenings in the city.

sojourner likes this.