Germany: Elections 2017

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Aug 16, 2017.

1. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

Neither would a CDU & FDP coalition. Surely they wouldn't consider going into a partnership with the AfD?

2. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

AfD deploys double-headed eagle to snare Russian-German voters

Former Soviet migrants increasingly see populist party as their political home

Subscribe to read

The AfD and Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservative CDU/CSU bloc are engaged in a fierce fight for the support of former Soviet immigrants in the September 24 poll. Such a contest is unprecedented: the Russian-Germans were once considered the Christian Democrats’ most loyal constituency.

...will be interesting to see if the CSU vote holds up despite Bavaria being on the front line during the refugee crisis....

3. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

CDU + FDP + Greens = 349. More than enough.

As for going into partnership with the AfD, that's for the next election. Ha ha.

4. pocketscience

Wasnt their last alliance in a coalition with the CDU a disaster for the Greens? i recall Tritin saying the party would never do that again.

Is there no way the Greens could make a last minute decision to go with the SPD & Linke?
    If they did, the CDU would be fucked as there's no way the FDP would be going in with the AfD.

5. pocketscience

Ok scrap that. There's been an update on the seats count and a CDU/FDP coalition would have more seats than GRN/SPD/Linke

6. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Catching up with this. Does anyone know why the SPD has ruled out another coalition? Is it because they think it's destroying them?

7. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

They don't want to let afd become the official opposition.

cupid_stunt and littlebabyjesus like this.
  8. pocketscience

Yes.

9. pocketscience

AfD has 22.8% in the East :eek:

10. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

C
    Combination of concerns about immigration and anti Merkle sentiment in what is the poorer part of Germany

11. Idris2002

And a majority of east German men, apparently.

A Facebook contact of mine is reporting people in tears on the tram.

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Subscribe to read link - what's it say?

13. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I see that the social fascists only got 20%.

The Pale King likes this.
  14. Idris2002

"Nach Hitler, uns."

15. yield

yield zero

AfD deploys double-headed eagle to snare Russian-German voters
    Former Soviet migrants increasingly see populist party as their political home

16. pocketscience

The results have just come in for the constituency where Mrs Pocketscience is from, in Saxony: AfD 31.5 % :eek: (CDU won with 32.4%).
    We're driving down there next weekend visiting her family and it's the Tag der Einheit (Unity Day). Horror.

Badgers likes this.
  17. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Wasn't that tried in Berlin or somewhere and didn't work?

Besides of which DL would be fools to climb into bed with scum like the Greens and SPD.

pocketscience likes this.
  18. pocketscience

Probably. I don't recall the Greens having ever really got on with anyone. Least of all themselves. They seem terminally split between the landed conservatives agriculturalist types and " '68 movement" Kreuzberg hippy clichés.

Amen that.
    The angle I was aiming at was, for the duration of coalition negotiations, to force the CDU/CSU/FDP hand, for them to consider inviting the AfD into thier bed.
    The fallout of that would be spectacular.

19. pocketscience

Warning on using WeltN24 = Springer Press (i.e; an upmarket Bild)

20. Idris2002

[​IMG]

Interesting that there's big thick bloc of AfD support in the west as well.

21. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

AfD's leader has just resigned at their post-election press conference and announced she will be taking her seat as an independent

22. Idris2002

These fucking people.

23. It's pretty scary tbh. They got a relatively low percentage here in Hamburg but still.

24. Cornichon

Cornichon Active Member

Yes. 7.3 / 7.8% overall in Hamburg.
    This still is way too much!

Will people never learn?

25. Yeah still too much. I suppose I've been consoling myself a little bit with that fact. In my neighbourhood it was a bit less at around 5%. I wonder if there will be an increase in hate crime like we say post brexit vote.

26. Idris2002

This one was so sudden it makes me wonder what the angle is, or exactly what little game they're trying to play here. . .

Celyn and Thimble Queen like this.
  27. pocketscience

Do you think it's orchestrated at a party level? The couple of articles I read about it (Spiegel & Zeit) implied that nobody in the party was expecting it.
    My guess is she's just trying to distance herself from Gauland and position herself as the compassionate nazi (as opposed to the NPD-like Gauland types).
    Will be interesting to see if her split takes on form and if any other of the more "moderate" nazis from the party join her.

It's still hard to tell if the AfD did so well because of Gaulands pre-election comments or dispite of them.

eta: he should have been nicked for this one instead he's leading Germany's 3rd largest party now...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  28. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

They'll learn about the same time political parties start being less tone deaf to uncomfortable concerns. We've trained a generation of voters than putting their cross next to the most unpalatable person the ballot makes the folks in power sit up.

29. That "disposed of" comment is a an absolute disgrace.

The WW2 stuff is so blatant. People know exactly what they are voting for here.

30. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Isn't it fairly typical of parties on the far right. Look at UKIP or the BNP or the FN in France. Bigoted narcissists don't get on well with each other.