1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gentrification in Brixton: the feature film called A Moving Image

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 10, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We've had the photos, the demos, the short films and the pages and pages of rants here - and now here's the feature film.

http://amovingimagefilm.com/

Greebo likes this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Didn't get that - was it whimsical humour? It sounds as though the full film would be watchable. When and where is it on?

3. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

is that a joke

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i suppose it will screen at the ritzy

twistedAM likes this.
  5. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I think I'm slightly in love. Other than that, hahaha!

Nice use of Brixton East as her flat.

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Sorry its not Brixton, but it is my second home - and horrific

Greebo likes this.
  7. mod

mod A modernist

Gramsci likes this.
  8. brixtonscot

brixtonscot Well-Known Member

Its showing at Ritzy tomorow (Fri ) 6.30 in Screen 2

9. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Reviewed in Guardian.

Im curious to see it.

Review contrasts it with Ken Loach ( whose latest film won Cannes and is out today) - citing the formal differences. Ken coming from a social realist angle. This film does sound like its not just a straightforward narrative but mixes different kinds of film and music together. ie documentary and drama.

"Gentrification", that is the kicking out of the less well off from areas, has not been covered in film. And this sounds to me like a film rather than a tv doc.

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've just watched it. It's a bit patchy and could use some editing. Some interesting ideas in there though.

12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

what kind of ideas were in it? is it worth watching?
    ive just watched the trailer above and all the trailer showed was stylish shots of brixton that only help to glamourise the place....is there any teeth to this film at all?
    From the guardian review:"it is inspired by her complex feelings about returning to the area after a long spell in hipster east London. Is she herself – young, arty, stylish – a gentrifier?"....whats the answer to that editor? Judging by the trailer id say yes...

Rutita1 likes this.
  13. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Caught this at the LFF. The glamour is in the lead actress who isn't a believable documentary maker. The film is about making a film, that old post modern idea ! It's a bit preachy but the scenes with the community groups are good.

Gramsci likes this.