1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Gentrification' and club culture.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by caleb, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

reminds me of when i went out to paris in the 90s, stayed with my friend who lives relatively central and he was saying all the parties were deep in the suburbs,..,,,londons future i think. croydons time may yet come...

my day dream is to open a venue,...itll never happen, but i know exactly how to make it perfect...too many people who open venues could give a fuck but for the money

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Dan U likes this.
  2. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

That's (he isn't making enough money) is nuts, tbf. And massively unfair.

If it was some cynical cash cow or a megabrand giving an impression the capital could be invested better elsewhere...Then I'd accept your view...But they've hardly shown the signs of a rapacious capitalist spirit (that nu-dalstoners will enrich the area with). Simply that it was unworkable within the current 'vision'. And it's people with these kinds of visions we need to encourage.

Tbf I've not been there, and my days of ploughing my wages into the 'nighttime economy' of London are perhaps behind me, but isn't it simply a continuation of the theme that there will always be 'clubs', just not where you always knew them? Had enough "this is the death of London clubbing" assumptions - mostly by shite journalists or part-timers - over the years, but the reality is (as long as I've been alive) is that the venues (and our age!) change, but the, erm, spirit lives on! Granted it's sad top see any theatre of some epic memories or sense of familiarity close, of course.

rutabowa likes this.
  3. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Nah, this wasn't an issue with DT cos it was preticketed and the people on the doors were always friendly but firm, if there were excess tickets on the door it wasn't unusual you'd be asked if you knew who was on the lineup in order to ensure they weren't just ending up with a pissed up crowd.

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i dont think theres a shortage of venues in london...still hundreds out there from what i can see... Agree that the death of clubbing is much overstated.

Only went to Dt once, but do remember the bar not being very busy, even though venue was quite full..

Living out in suburban se London now it is depressing how far you have to travel to get to a club with anything vaguely decent on... I do hope suburban clubs open up soon as more and more people move to the outskirts....

5. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

You'd think from this thread I have an issue with DT but I've probably been there 20 or so times in the last three years and only had a bad night once. There were things about it that annoyed me - closing at three was one of them, natch - but otherwise it was a solid venue that had consistently good bookings.

It's the special pleading on behalf of one small group of entrepreneurs that gets me a bit, and then trying to wrap it up in socio-political analysis, plus the neverending 'London is dead now...'

dialectician and ska invita like this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

they're killing the goose that laid the golden eggs :(

Favelado likes this.
  7. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Though living far out west I'll happily travel to Stoke Newington or Hackney Wick, or Peckham or New Cross for a night out, but most of my friends live in these areas and huff and puff about having to leave, and then will make a big fuss about how upset they are about a club closing in a part of London they complain about being too far away for them to go to. Fucks sake.

salem, dialectician and ska invita like this.
  8. Pickman's model

tbh it matters to me not a jot that not only have i never been to many of these clubs, nor that i have no intention of going: that they exist and other people take pleasure from them seems to me a good reason for them to remain open. we're all the poorer if london's nightlife suffers.

19sixtysix, Favelado, pesh and 2 others like this.
  9. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

It's very good for a city's reputation to be the place where everyone's out for a good time. London didn't need to be come second fiddle to Berlin in contemporary culture. The rich just decided to make it that way.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

mm but when the city gets the reputation for being the place where everyone's out for a good time then that makes rich people invest in it and drive lots of people out. Check Berlin in 10 years time. Well check it even now.

Favelado likes this.
  11. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

London has had, and always will have, an entirely different dynamic to Berlin, owing to the two cities completely different histories and the fact London is the financial capital of the world. Berlin has managed to be 'poor but sexy', and while dynamics and demographics will change, a process similar to London will never take place there. New York is a much better comparison.

12. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I'm really not sure this is true...

13. Pickman's model

yeh it seems along the lines of other famous last words, like 'there's so many of us here, they'll never kettle us all in whitehall' :facepalm:

14. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Going by long established Berliners I've spoken to while expressing similar worries, they're annoyed by a tonne of stuff but see Frankfurt being the financial centre of Germany as insulation from the worst excesses.

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Loads of foreign arty types are moving to Kreuzberg and driving rent up is what I heard.

16. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Yeah of course, but that's been happening for years, and rent in Berlin is still lower than in seven other German cities...

edit: and I think Neukolln is the place to move to, now.

17. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I guess it happened in London for years too before it became ridiculous... well it is still happening in london really... so if rents are going up and people are moving in then that has to mean other people with less money are being driven out right? So the process is already happening.

18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

19. Pickman's model

caleb and Fozzie Bear like this.
  20. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

I think you've missed the point to some extent. Even 15 years ago, London would have been at the bleeding edge of clubbing culture, arts, and music. I'm saying that it would have been easy enough for it to maintain that position - the place in Europe for that kind of thing - whereas it's let istelf be superceded by Berlin.

Obviously London is more like New York generally, albeit always second best at everything New York does.

21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

caleb was right!

Pickman's model and caleb like this.
  22. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

How? :confused:

23. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Here's a terrifying thought for you - I reckon I have seen you at WU, quite possibly at 6am, so have been only metres away from you, although rest assured I keep my top on.

Orang Utan likes this.
  24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

You don't need class a's or to be young to stay up after 3am

25. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

The end of regular WUs is sadder than the closure of DT imo.

Orang Utan likes this.
  26. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

And they didn't lie.

27. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

What do you mean?

28. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Orang Utan likes this.
  29. Pickman's model