1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Gentrification' and club culture.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by caleb, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rik

Rik Well-Known Member

I thought DT would've been safe form this new restriction, as they've been there for 3 years. I thought it was to do with new venues. There must've been some other licence that they have been threatened with.

2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I don't understand what you mean by "new" restriction? the article makes it sound like they have always had the same license, till 3am.

3. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

They have, they've occasionally applied for licences til 4 or 5 which have more often than not been turned down.

4. Rik

Rik Well-Known Member

I swear I've been in there past 3am?? :hmm: Hmm.

5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's not just that venues are closing...the increasingly overwrought "security" measures at those that survive make the whole experience less and less appealing.

It seems to be becoming less easy to have a night out that isn't fully planned in advance. Venues moving further out from the centre will make this worse.

FullFathomFive likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

right... that's what I meant by it not being a "new restriction"... it's how they have always had it since opening, just turns out there isn't enough money in it to sustain it.

caleb and Rik like this.
  7. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Not true in the case of DT, minimal security on there door, some light searches, on the whole very friendly.

8. Rik

Rik Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely. Always thought the staff in general are spot on at DT.

rutabowa likes this.
  9. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Not too rammed either. which was maybe the issue.

10. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

I think that very much depended on the night tbh, it was possible to go there and it be absolutely packed out (with huuuge queues in), or for it to be comfortably busy. Never saw it less than that, and tbh given the nature of its bookings I don't think it ever struggled to get crowds in.

11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

ah ok... i haven't been much. it definitely wasn't empty.

12. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

Superstore same owners though, so that lot had very much played their part in the areas ' progression' etc ( don't mean that snarkily either , think Tunnels closure is a shame )

13. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Not to mention the same people who own Voodoo Ray's pizza in Dalston, Shoreditch, and Croydon(?)

14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I did not know that... well I guessed voodoo rays was the same people as dance tunnel, but not dalston superstore. they are all like "early-to-mid-gentrification-dalston" places tho ha.

caleb likes this.
  15. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

they aren't in Croydon yet. They are going in the mythical Boxpark I think that is supposedly opening at some point this summer, just in time for Autumn by the current looks of it.

caleb likes this.
  16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain the necessity for a 5am close?

Is it because some people will only go to place that stay open that late, or because the bar takings are so huge between 3 and 5 that it only makes sense that way? :hmm:

17. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Supposedly it's more that people go to a club at 12 - 1, so DT only have 2 - 3 hours of people spending money on booze.

Nah, I felt bad about scepticism earlier but despite really liking DT as a venue, the more I think about this the less sense it makes.

ska invita likes this.
  18. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I can see the sense..its a bit of a dark and grotty basement venue so you get there late - not much fun to hang out in early.

caleb likes this.
  19. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

There's lots of reasons a later license will help bring people in, for instance I won't bother coming from south London to an east London night if it isn't open til at least five, doesn't seem worth it - some people need to wait for the morning for cheap transport home as well. And people will come at 2 or 3 after pub with dancefloor type venues close

And of course the extra hours will mean more takings at the bar.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  20. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

I mean, it's a problem that's pretty easy to sort out by putting on headliners before 12, which DT rarely did... (which is fucking annoying when you're only catching two hours of a cracking DJ)

and/or, given almost all their events were preticketed, enforcing an entry time.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  21. lefteri

No one should have to arrive at a club much before 1

teuchter likes this.
  22. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree.

All I'm saying is this is clearly a business decision on their part, the idea that it's some unfair hand-forcing that an appeal to Hackney Council can change doesn't seem very convincing. The owner has decided he isn't making enough money to justify keeping it going (and is presumably with his other ventures, up and down the Kingsland Rd.) so is calling it a day. It isn't all that sympathetic, in that case.

dialectician, ska invita and rutabowa like this.
  23. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Property prices are going up (I guess that's a lot of what gentrification means). Maybe rent costs are behind some closures.

ska invita likes this.
  24. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i kind of see what you mean, but i dont know if ANY nightclub owner doesnt have 'making money' as a very high priority, and they cd have opened something much less niche and more guaranteed to make money than the DT...And all their places seem relatively cool to me... so whilst i dont have sympathy (they are much more rich and succesful than i ever will be) i think they are sort of ok.

25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i guess wrt the OP i see clubs as a fairly minor indicator of gentrification, not much more

ska invita likes this.
  26. lefteri

Generally when venues first open they are given a relatively early closing time and if things go smoothly this is eventually extended - perhaps this was the understanding they had with hackney but it has been reneged on

27. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'll always prefer a night with a 5 or 6am close over a night with a 2 or 3am close. Even if I get there at 11 or 12. The whole point of going to a club night is to immerse yourself in it, and a couple of hours isn't enough. If you're out with a bunch of people there will inevitably be a load of faffing around which means that even if you planned on getting there at 11 it ends up being 1. And then there's the fact that many places are liable to shut down earlier than advertised anyway. So that 3am finish turns out to be 2.30 and then you've barely had an hour or two and the whole thing becomes a bit pointless.

A night that finishes earlier than 5 isn't really a serious night in my book. It'll likely be full of people who stumbled in there after the pub with little interest in the music anyway.

Fozzie Bear and lefteri like this.
  28. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

i'm trying to imagine teuchter, top off, at 6am, rushing his tits off to Blancmange at World Unknown

FullFathomFive and lefteri like this.
  29. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

It's an unpredictable culture though. Who knows what will manifest itself next? The death of the club culture we have known since the 90s seems sad to me, but 25+ years of the same format is a long stretch in modern culture.

Maybe it will turn into something else. Maybe something will fill the vacuum.

30. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

spare a thought for us old and no longer class a taking ravers