General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, May 2, 2014.

1. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

For those that knew him the sad news that David (Dave) Fry passed away on Saturday, gone to young at 50.
    He was an occasional visitor to Champion Hill over the past 25 years or so (some seasons he attended quite a few games) but hs first love, of photography took him to many a place.

RIP David Fry

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  2. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Awful news, I met Dave in Liverpool back in 1988 and introduced him to non-league football. The main reason he was down Dulwich less in recent years was that he became official club photographer at Prescot Cables FC where he will be badly missed. He nearly made it to Needham Market away last season, sadly it wasn't to be. Some of you may spot a link between the two clubs he watched...

If Shaun's description makes anyone think they may know who Dave was, there's a photo here: -

Club Statement: David Fry (1968-2018) - Prescot Cables Football Club

RIP mate, my trips to Liverpool will be less enjoyable without your company. Thanks for the memories and the idiosyncratic letters.

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Just noticed the existence of (and purchased on Evil Amazon Kindle) a new book by occasionally Hamlet-mentioning author Joe Kennedy. Whoever he is.

B.I.G likes this.
  4. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

A troublemaker whose commitment to fully automated communism is debateable after not attending the playoff final.

Still buy his book. So he can afford to attend an away match.

Joe K

He *might* sign your kindle.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

First time on-line since the weekend, was for one of the few times in my life genuinely speechless when I heard the news. I know he was a good friend of yours Roger D , please pass on my sympathies personally to all of your old Uni crowd, who kept in touch together.

Not sure what to say, hope this does him justice... Dave Fry RIP - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

Matt The Cab and Pink Panther like this.
  7. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Will do mate, I think the old Liverpool University Cables fans from the late 80's will be trying to sponsor a match up there in his memory, or something similar. Thank you for writing the tribute too. Dave would have been deeply embarrassed by the tributes paid to him, I don't think he ever quite realised what he meant to people. Several Liverpool area clubs have paid tribute to him.

He's gone far too soon but I can take comfort from the fact a throwaway comment one day inviting him down the Cables when he had never seen a football match led to a lifelong passion for him and saw him meet a lot of good people.

When I left Liverpool, Prescot Cables put a tribute to me in their proggie. I think Dave will be getting a slightly bigger one, he deserves it.

Thanks to all the old school fans who made him so welcome over the years. It speaks volumes for the welcome he received that he was quickly coming down for matches he fancied even if he knew I had other commitments.

8. Dulwich Mishi

I jokingly called him 'Boring Dave', what with his 'monotone' voice & 'granddad jumpers'....but he was anything but, and took it in the jesting it was meant. Despite his 'quietness' when you spoke to him he had a great sense of humour, really was great company...a really decent bloke, basically.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  9. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

I see Cooltan Arts have announced they will wind up tomorrow. They were a Hamlet charity partner for a game a year or so I recall. Great shame.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They got into a very complicated situation that really wasn't pleasant to witness.

Taper likes this.
  11. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Cooltan Arts - Are they any thing to do with the parties that used to be held at the old Job Centre top end of Coldharbour Lane?

Thimble Queen likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So are Crystal Palace now in the Rotters League?

13. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

They always were.

darryl and GregDHFC like this.
  14. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

15. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Yes, same organisation.

16. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Cheer up England fans. Dulwich winning the Bostik Premier division playoff final was way more important than winning the world cup!

17. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I'd like to think England can build steadily towards long term success in the same way the Hamlet have done over the last 9 years. This looked like a golden opportunity to win the World Cup because there was no outstanding opponent in our half of the draw following the group stage, but watching the France/Belgium semi-final I found myself thinking "don't fancy our chances against either of these".

In a few years time under the same talented and continuous management I'm hopeful England can reach their goal just as the Hamlet have done, and it won't matter that we have a tougher path to the final because we'll be strong enough to beat whoever stands in our way.

18. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

No it wasn’t!!

19. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Chelsea winning the FA Cup was more important than anything

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  20. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

21. jnrknight

jnrknight James Knight

Some discussion circa. 25 mins about how sections of the seating and fencing at St George's Field were salvaged from the 'old' Champion Hill stands here:

04 It Takes A Village - Broadway To Brazil (podcast)

May be of interest, I am sure some on here can confirm how accurate this is?

The podcast as a whole is a pretty interesting look at the history of Corinthians and their current day incarnation in merger with Causals etc. Dominic Bliss is heavily involved who wrote an excellent book on Erno Erbstein and his involvement got me listening...

22. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Yes, that's accurate. For the final season at our old ground, after planning permission had been given for the Sainsbury's redevelopment, the first three steps of the three terraced sides were concreted over and the condemned cinder terraces behind were fenced off with pale grey corrugated panels, and it's these that have been used to build the main stand at Corinthian Casuals. I've got a feeling they may have had a turnstile or two from our old ground too, but I'm not certain now.

jnrknight and iamwithnail like this.
  23. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Should probably say more:

Me and Sam Mellish are hosting an exhibition of Dulwich Hamlet photographs from last season at Brick Brewery in Peckham (in the arches below Peckham Rye Station). Opening night is from 7pm on 1st August, and it runs until 6th September.

Hope to see people on the 1st!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  24. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Have a feeling their turnstiles came from Kew gardens...

jnrknight and Pink Panther like this.
  25. Dulwich Mishi

jnrknight, Nivag and Pink Panther like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Of course

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  28. Dulwich Mishi

Not meaning to speak for Liam, but I am sure anything he publishes in the Club Programme &/or on the Club Website, is already in the public domain, so he will be happy for anyone to share, as long as you mention the source.

Annie May likes this.
  29. JoeBoy1959

JoeBoy1959 Member

Will there be supporters' coach travel to the more far flung grounds?

Dulwich Mishi and the 12th man like this.
  30. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

The trust have kindly offered to take over the running of the coaches so I'm sure they will advertise as such soon.