1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, May 2, 2014.

1. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Pink Panther likes this.
  2. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To be fair, it was (a) quite an exceptional storm and (b) a fairly flimsy-looking structure to start off with. There's no cross-bracing for starters.
  4. EDC

Ledgers or sway braces to use the correct terms. The standards need to be set in concrete and or bolted to the perimeter fencing. A scaffold with a tin hat basically becomes a parachute in high winds.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So we agree that the one above was rather a flimsy and shoddy affair?
    clog likes this.
  6. EDC

Dunno. I’ve no idea how long it’s been there, could have withstood worse in the past for all I know. I’ll let Mishi answer for himself but I bet it’s something along the lines of a bit of cheap scaffolding for the sake of covering the ends may not be the right answer.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, but well built - but still relatively affordable - scaffolding will be a shit load better for our big crowds than getting drenched every time it rains. Other clubs manage to build such structures that don't get blown away by storms and - to me - offering some basic shelter is the least we can do to the people who are paying the club money week after week.

After all, we are supposed to be a club that is trying to make football inviting to as many people as possible, are we not?
    clog likes this.
  8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

To be perfectly honest, my personal viewpoint is that having some cover behind the goal is WAY DOWN the list of priorities, in the current situation.

At the moment we only have a very short-term agreement to play at Champion Hill, and every spare penny simply has to be channelled into the "12th Man" fund, to keep the current squad together, and also to conclude the fundraising for the "Inter City 125" campaign. To splash out, or raise money, on cover at a ground that we have no idea if we will even be playing at next season or beyond, on the few matchdays of a season when it rains, is ludicrous at the moment, more so than it ever has been.

In an ideal football utopian world we could build/develop into a perfect ground, but that simply ain't gonna happen...
  9. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Another way of looking at it is if we don't make coming to watch Dulwich a good experience in the short-term and fans won't keep coming back due to the facilities not being updated, it'll mean future income will suffer.
    I agree a roof is low down on that at the moment, but things such as the toilets not being nice and the tea bar running out of tea will piss people off.
    clog and editor like this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

Another way of looking at it is..if we spend money now on building cover rather than stabilising our Club RIGHT NOW there will be nothing for them to come back to...

But the other things you mention are beyond the control of any of us, and the responsibility of those under the control of Meadow Residential, unfortunately...
    Pink Panther likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My personal viewpoint is that if it wasn't for constant negative feedback, us supporters could have crowdfunded a couple of affordable temporary stands a few seasons ago and made the matchday experience infinitely better both for us and new visitors. It would cost the club nothing and it's inaccurate to to suggest that any money that went into a stand would have otherwise gone into the 12th man fund.
    clog likes this.
  12. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

You may well be right, but the fact is that it didn't happen a few years ago, and until we know for sure that we can still play at Champion Hill beyond the end of the season I feel there's little point worrying about it. Personally I'm giving everything I can to the 12th Man fund right now and I'm not going to give any of that towards a quick fix roof behind the goal.

If, after the Hamburg tour, we're in a position to commence next season at Champion Hill with a secure agreement to stay for the foreseeable future and with the club having greater control over managing its budget without needing to rely so heavily on 12th Man funding then I'd be all for resurrecting the abortive "Raise the Roof " campaign of 20 years ago.
    darryl and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  13. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Lets not forget it's not our ground and it's been likely for some time (I would suggest years) that we wouldn't get permission to put up any structures in the ground ourselves.

I can't remember the last time I actually got wet at a home game, maybe a few times a year at most.
    darryl, Dulwich Mishi and scousedom like this.
  14. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I can think of one home game this season (that I was at) when it rained badly for a long time - Hendon.

It’s a relatively rare occurrence.
    Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  15. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Exactly. The sun is always shining in south London. Compared to say...Wales.
    Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  16. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It's certainly a pertinent point about needing the permission and co-operation Of the great Satan that is Meadow for any alterations to the ground.

As for getting wet, I'd say a roof is as much about amplifying the vocal support and enhancing the atmosphere as keeping dry.

From a practical point of view I'd rather have more steps of terracing so more people get a clear view than more cover.
    the 12th man, darryl, EDC and 2 others like this.
  17. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

^^ definitely on that last bit. If I'm going to the football, I expect I might get a bit wet, but as a short-arse, it'd be good to be able to see better!
  18. Dulwich Mishi

As someone who certainly qualifies as one of those 'us supporters' it's just not a priority for me.
    Crowdfunding can be organised by anyone....there's nothing to stop you, or a group of those 'us supporters' setting up such a Crowdfunding scheme. If there is the will and the backing for it...then it would be done, regardless of any so-called 'constant negative feedback'.
    I look forward to the 'Brixton Buzz Stand' being opened in the not too distant future.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well there is when the suggestion is met with a wave of negativity, especially from people who hold positions within the club.

So I'll give up and stand in the rain and watch new fans get pissed off.
    clog likes this.
  20. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

London has (very roughly) 600mm of rainfall per year.
    Light rainfall is defined as 2.5mm per hour.
    That equates to 240 rain hours per year in London.
    There are 8,760 hours in a year.
    There is thus a 2.74% chance that it will rain in any given hour.
    Allowing that a game takes two hours, there is therefore a 4.75% chance that it will rain during any given match. Or a 95.25% chance that it won't.

1. Until such time as we have more than a 95.25% chance of a long term future, my money is going in 12th Man.
    2. It really doesn't rain all that much...
    takkforalt, darryl, dcdulwich and 3 others like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Stands aren't just about keeping dry of course (even though I have plenty of photographic proof of being pissed on at Champion Hill). They can play a massive part in helping create more noise from the fans. I haven't got any maths to support how much difference vastly increased supporter noise makes, but I'd wager it's more than a little bit.
    Pink Panther likes this.
  22. Dulwich Mishi

If you have the belief it doesn't matter what 'people who hold positions within the club', whoever they may be, hold.
    If you are referring specifically to me, which you may not it could be a general comment, I can only say that first and foremost I am a supporter, and always will be. The fact I hold a 'position' is irrelevant.
  23. PartisanDulwich

24. Dulwich Mishi

I'm glad I carried on reading...I was wondering where that piece was going!
  25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

26. PartisanDulwich

Like those above, I do worry about sustaining attendances, which is now more important than ever, given the direct funding of players from the takings
    In the past people had the luxury of saying they enjoyed smaller crowds
    but now, I really think without the huge attendances we get now and the income and network of contacts that brings, we may well have gone under before Christmas

Obviously, we need to be continually reviewing our match day operations (not that we have complete control) and I think we are trying hard to provide a professional match day operation at Champion Hill with the support of a handful of dedicated volunteers

Numerous things have improved

but still issues persist around bars and food
    the toilets issue is another, its not just the plumbing or flooding, its the lack of toilet paper etc or the Car wash spraying those waiting at the the turnstiles - this is a safety issue

Many other issues are no-doubt unquantified because people dont kick off about them, but for example bike racks, breast feeding facilities,

I think the growing number of children under 13 (while free) could be offered the opportunity to be more involved, (all this I fully accept take time and organisation we dont presently have)

Likewise, the lack of singing is an issue as it can have an impact on the atmosphere and I would argue at times the team performance - Gavin used to call the fans the extra man (because they could hear us)

I accept equally that issues like securing support and membership of DHST, 50-50, programme sales and 12th man are also vital on match days

The Editor's view that a scaffold stand would offer coverage from the elements and a better atmosphere are surely a valid contribution, regardless of whether in the final analysis they prove too difficult or expensive or indeed overtaken by other priorities.

At the end of the day its not about a scaffold stand, surely its about sustaining and building on the truly fantastic support we have gained for match days and addressing the issues we are faced with, with limited resources and a volunteer workforce - and we must be able to point fans in the right direction if they which to raise issues, concerns, suggestions ? - even if they are told this cannot be actioned because it falls within the purview of Meadows

We have done so much right, we have built an incredible fan base, we need to somehow keep moving forward
    Pink Panther, sealion, clog and 2 others like this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The atmosphere - or at least the atmosphere we used to have - was one of the prize attractions about the club and something that marked us out as different compared to just about every other team in our league. Sadly something seems to have slipped away on that score recently. A roof would help A LOT but I promise I'm not going to go on about that anymore!
  28. clog

clog have that you c

If you hold a position then the fact you hold it is not irrelevant when you are making statements on this board. Regardless of you keep saying that it is.
    iamwithnail and editor like this.
  29. Dulwich Mishi

So what you are saying is, that as a Club Committee member I am not allowed to have my own view point and opinions, despite the fact I have supported our Club for coming up to 44 years?

If that is the case then please let me know & I will refrain from posting on here, if you can please clarify this with the Chair of the Football Committee, liamdhfc I would be most grateful. Thank you.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think she was saying that of course you're entitled to post your opinions here but - rightly or wrongly - there is a strong impression that your opinions will hold more 'weight' with the club than a mere spectator because of your official role and your 'seniority.' Surely you can can understand that point?
    clog likes this.