1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, May 2, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I reckon we could crowdfund a cheapo stand easy enough so we don't really need their approval, no?

clog and PartisanDulwich like this.
  2. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Depends how much you care about land ownership laws!?

Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.
  3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah the suggestion that you don't need permission to erect a stand is a bit of an odd one to say the least.:confused:

4. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Crowdfund as in something like they did at Wealdstone, or a scaffold job? The latter would have to meet H&S requirements to ensure it doesn’t blow away.

5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Ideally be patient and wait until it's feasible to construct something like Wealdstone or Tonbridge have. However I think we need to make sure we're staying at the ground and are going to be financially viable before worrying about anything like this. There seems to be a sandstorm of dust in the air that hasn't settled yet thanks to our beloved owners.

darryl and EDC like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't mean we don't need permission: I meant that because we won't be asking them for the money there should be a lot less hassle involved with budget approval etc.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If it's a scaffold job - and I've seen some decent enough ones around the league - presumably we could get some money back off the parts if/when the ground issue is sorted. I'm fed up standing in the rain myself. almost every ground I visit has more cover than us, despite our crowds being hugely bigger.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  8. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Previously we were told to wait for new stadium ?
    meanwhile - large section of our supporters face the winter elements

but agree its the cost (and safety issues) are key

if say it was £2-3k for one one section - that's do able, surely

if it was £20-30K different matter

Have we any supporters who are in the building/scaffold trade ? who could give preliminary advice - may never happen but would like to know if its just a pipe dream or not

clog likes this.
  9. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I can't recall exactly, but when Wealdstone were putting something up at side of their far end, as in behind the goal, along the side, I remember it being a sustantial five figure fee, when I asked them...from memory at least twenty thousand...

Personally, as Pink Panther suggests,wait until the sand storm settles. And if things really were that desperate I'd rather we crowdfunded to help pay the wage bill....in a worst case scenario.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. The Club still basically under the control of Meadows, and they also own the lease to the ground. As it stands we still have to work with them...and at the moment, while things are uncertain, I'd suggest it's basically 'business as usual' albeit in uncertain times...

Lucy Fur likes this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

That's because our ground simply wasn't designed with the crowds that we currently have.

11. PartisanDulwich

Reminds us that the toilets at Champion Hill need to be fixed ?

12. Dulwich Mishi

Why? Are the ones in the changing rooms not working?

In the overall schene of things I think a not working toilet or two isn't too much of a priority at the moment, unfortunately...

13. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Ex-Hamlet keeper Oshane Brown looking for a new club. Didn't realise player recruitment was done via LinkedIn these days:

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. But now we have comparatively fucking massive crowds coming in, it would seem a decent courtesy to offer - at the very least - basic shelter for those people coming to games week after week.

I can't imagine something like this stand at Waltham Abbey could have cost much, but I bet the crowd will appreciate it on a wet winter's afternoon.

[​IMG]

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  15. PartisanDulwich

Surrey Senior Cup Final 1974–75 Dulwich Hamlet 2–0 Leatherhead
    Friday 2nd May 1975

Leatherhead were favourites having had a major FA Cup run beating Brighton at the Goldstone and giving Leicester City a fright before going down 3-2

Dulwich Hamlet were being managed by Jimmy Rose who took over in 1972 (until 1976) he brought n several star players including John Baker (from Hendon), Trevor Bladon and Rodney Brookes (from Sutton United)

Dulwich Hamlet Team
    Allan Thomas, Paul Webb, Steve Rogers, Peter Mills, Rodney Brookes, Peter Smith, Trevor Bladon, Ken Jelley, John Baker, Dave Barker, Alex Jackson, Chris Pulley

Dulwich Hamlets road to the final

First Round Egham 4-0
    Second Round Addlestone 4-0
    Semi Final Kingstonians 4-0

hamlet surrey dulwich s-l1600 (4).jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  16. Dulwich Mishi

Personally speak I HATE stands like that. It would be packed, if it was raining, as you'd constantly headbutt the person either side of you as you constantly ducked and dived with the poles at the front continually blocking your views. Ir's perfect cover for a club like Waltham Abbey with a low support base...and that's without even considering the hassle of a few fans climbing up the poles to get a better view as well...

EDC, Nivag and Monkeygrinder's Organ like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So you'd rather be standing in the rain and getting soaked. OK, each to their own.

clog likes this.
  18. Pink Panther

The strange thing with that particular Heath Robinson piece of architechture is that it's right next to a sturdy and more conventional covered terrace, and given the tiny attendances they get I'm not really sure why they need it.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe they had a biggish game on recently and thought they'd make sure that all the crowd could be provided with cover?

20. PartisanDulwich

Dulwich Hamlet V Wealdstone play off final 2004 (can I hear "Pat" the Rattle) - spoiler alert Wealdstone win - but some great footage looks like a good crowd as well around 1,000 at Champion hill

Lucy Fur likes this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

No I didn't say that...but carry on trying to twist my words to your own argument.

If it was raining heavily enough to need to go under cover then it would be too crowded under something like that anyway. But if I was at a ground where the club had attendances like Waltham Abbey then I'd stand behind the goal with a brolly.

It rains at home games how many times a season? I'd rather not have a monstrosity like that scaffold behind the goal and get wet a couple of times a season, than 'uglify' our ground with that.

And to be perfectly honest, no cover is going to happen, when every spare penny will need to be directed toward the '12th Man' scheme, as suggested by Liam in his Chair's column in last Tuesday's programme.

22. Dulwich Mishi

WORST fucking day of my life!

Matt The Cab likes this.
  23. Pink Panther

Official attendance was 582, but in reality may have been a bit more. Support was split around 50/50 with both sides very vocal. I've never been so gutted after a defeat; the one consolation was that promotion went to a deserving and well-supported club. If we'd lost to like that to a big budget side with no real support I don't think I could have taken it!

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, but you understand that a crowdfunding campaign would have no impact on the 12th man funding.

25. PartisanDulwich

Any update on the club’s annual Remembrance Day service in the board room ?

Roll of Honour ww1 dulwich hamlet age14.jpg

Roll of Honour ww2 dulwich hamlet age14.jpg

26. Dulwich Mishi

It might not...but I personally think, that as this current stage, funding the "12th Man" is far more important.
    There is, of course, nothing to stop you working out the costings & setting up an independent crowdfunding thing for what you want, but I don't think in the current climate it will be led from the Boardroom.

27. Dulwich Mishi

Sorry, yes...I have been away abroad, only got back yesterday evening. It has been mentioned several times in the Club matchday magazine, and I will be doing some pieces for the website over the weekend.

28. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

“Club matchday magazine” ?? How very Premier League!! :thumbs:

29. Dulwich Mishi

I agree...it's a programme and always will be, but that's what a modern 21st Century J.L. calls it! So if it's good enough for him... ;)

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Someone on Buzz has asked:

From this article:
    General Dulwich Hamlet chat