1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, May 2, 2014.

1. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

We have supporters who also support Palace and they boo Seagulls :D

StephenMac, AndyF and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Oxford Geoff had his pint knocked over by a seagull during our pre-season game at Lewes! Still doesn't beat our Canada goose on the pitch at the home game with Croydon Athletic a decade or so ago.

clog likes this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

There was a fox watching the game from the touchline, when the old terracing was closed, at the 'infamous' coffin game. Captured in a photo by the 'SLoP'...the Committee of the day couldn't work out what their snapper was doing there that night...until half time! ;)

4. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Does anyone know what date the 2017/18 season starts on?

5. Pink Panther

The fox wasn't just watching from the touchline, it ran the length of the pitch during the game!

6. Pink Panther

It's been the second Saturday on August ever since the divisions expanded to 24 clubs each. (Always used to be the third Saturday.)

darryl and clog like this.
  7. Dirty South

Dirty South Member

Can I ask how everyone remembers Fisher Athletic's ground-share at Champion Hill?

I've been given an awful brief that involves finding happy stories of ground shares. Research (wiki) has revealed that if you put two clubs in the same place, they will hate each other. That, if I recall correctly, was not the case at Champion Hill. It seemed like relations with Fisher were always cordial.

8. Pink Panther

It probably helped that Fisher Athletic were a smaller club in terms of crowd base, had spent most of their existence at a much lower level, and that the two clubs have never met in a league match. Having them reach Conference South thanks to financial doping also meant that our ground was improved to the required level at their expense. Then since they folded and the new Fisher FC took their place they were simply a smaller club at a lower level whom we've never yet played.

Dirty South likes this.
  9. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

From my (two seasons) perspective they were an absolute pleasure to work with. Good bunch of people and I might go to their last Home game on the 29th.

Dirty South likes this.
  10. Dirty South

Dirty South Member

Mind if I quote you on that, Andy?

11. AndyF

Yes you can Dirty South

12. Dirty South

Dirty South Member

Cheers feller. Where you in an official capacity at Dulwich at the time? Or shall I just put you down as a fan?

13. vicarofsibley

vicarofsibley 80087355

For a second I thought you were asking Andy what his official capacity is.

For the record, mine is 3.

Hundred.

14. AndyF

I watched them once as a fan in 2012 (some kind of reduced ticket deal from memory) and as Assistant Bar Manager from Oct 2014 until they left in April 2016.

15. AndyF

If it's beers then the answer is multiple.

16. vicarofsibley

vicarofsibley 80087355

I was thinking more along the lines of penises.

vornstyle76 likes this.
  17. AndyF

Is that where 'Forward The Hamlet' comes from?

18. Dirty South

Dirty South Member

Well, this has escalated quickly.

I think that was Forward the Helmet.

19. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I remember small crowds, decent music on the PA, a stall in the bar selling CD's and bloody good football.

AndyF, Cyclodunc and Dirty South like this.
  20. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Should have pointed out it was the first few years of the ground share when they were flying. I haven't seen them for ages.

21. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately some ticket price increases for next season:

Admission prices for 2017/18:
    • Adults: £11 (Isthmian League); £12 (National League South)
    • Concessions: £5 (Eligibility unchanged and Regardless of League)
    • Children Under 13: FREE
    Early Bird Season Ticket prices:
    • Adults: £165 (Cheque or cash); £173 (Online)
    • Concessions: £75 (Cheque or cash); £78 (Online)
    • Teenagers (13 to 19): Pay Your Age: £13 to £19
    Full article here: SEASON TICKET & ADMISSION PRICES FOR 2017-2018 SEASON - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

22. Dulwich Mishi

Personally speaking, I think the increases were going to happen no matter what, the owners were pretty insistent they were going to happen. I think liamdhfc has done a great job in keeping them down as they are, and I think anyone who is in work will be happy to shell out a pound or two more, if it helps subsidise some of the most wide-ranging and cheapest concessions at our level, or indeed the divisions above, if we are successful in the play-offs.

Some clubs do sell cheaper season tickets, like Sutton United with their £99 offer, but-again personally- not only do I feel that this de-values the product, but they have business people putting money in, and this softens the need to balance between advance season ticket income, and vital 'week to week' matchday income.

I think we have it about right...and don't forget, those early offers can be paid in instalments if you're not in a reasonable paid job, or part-time, and tell me how many other clubs do that? Not many, if any.

23. Dulwich Mishi

24. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  25. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

26. Dulwich Mishi

For what it's worth, I sort of like and laugh at Fisher at the same time...
    Historically, Fisher Athletic were a very minor local non-league club, whose roots were in the area, the Fisher Downside club in the north of the borough.
    They never had a local ground, playing at a basic place, the names escapes me off the top of my head, not too far from Mitcham Junction station. It had no floodlights, and was railed off. In the late Seventies/early Eighties they played there in the London Spartan League, several levels at the time, below ourselves.
    With the closure of the Docks in Rotherhithe & the build-up of the area under the government quango the London Docklands Development Corporation, they got a brand new ground in Salter Road. This enabled them to go up a level, on the Southern League side of the pyramid, rather than the Isthmian, which had difference in rungs at that time.
    When they first moved there the ground only had one side, it was just grass behind the goal with no terracing, but they soon added a couple of steps and concrete.
    They were never well supported, even when they reached the Vauxhall Conference, yes, for several years they plied their trade at the highest level of non league!
    How did they do it? Well let’s just say they were well supported & funded by a local businessman called Dogan Arif. For many years he was the ‘Godfather’ of Bermondsey, and it’s widely known that he led a family with big criminal links, and to this day, Fisher, the new club, still have that reputation by association.
    In the early Eighties I lived on the Aylesbury Estate, at the Old Kent road end, and would often be at Fisher Athletic games, because it was a drunken stagger home, and the bar at fisher, once they knew you, always had lock-ins. For those midweeks I could leave at two, three or four in the morning and there would still be people there!
    I didn’t really mix with the Fisher crowd when I went. They knew I was a Dulwich fan, and there was no animosity, but I knew my place. I was on ‘nodding terms to say hello to’ with Dogan Arif, but in the bigger picture I certainly knew my place. Within Fisher and the local football circles he had the reputation of being a kind man, and by all accounts was very generous to Fisher & local people who might have problems. But cross him, in ‘his world’ and…well you can guess the rest. I can only speak as I find, & although very much on the periphery, I found him ok.
    Since that time, under both guises, I’ve always watched Fisher at least once or twice a season, more in recent years, as they played home games when at Champion Hill on Monday nights, with a few Sunday games thrown in.
    I am also a member of Fisher FC, as they are fan-owned. Although I would certainly not describe myself as a Fisher fan, I don’t dislike them. As others have said our paths have rarely crossed, they’ve generally been in other leagues/divisions. We are from the south of our Borough & they were based in the north. I’ve always believed, due to the ‘shape’ of our Borough, that Southwark can support two non-league sides, at either end.
    In more recent times, after they moved to Champion Hill, Fisher Athletic were again paying ‘inflated money’, this time under Sami Muduroglu, another shall we say ‘character’. There’s so much to say about him, and the ‘incestuous football links’ with ourselves through Nick McCormack, but I don’t this is the time or place for that. Despite his ‘connections’ I got on ok with Sami, again to talk briefly to, no more. Under him their fans, I must say, did their desperate best to try and build up a non-existent rivalry & wind up our fans. In truth it never worked. They kept on going on about a ‘Southwark United’ when we both merged, or as they meant, they took us over and we both played at their new ground in Bermondsey (This is before it was built, and they never even got ownership of it, so they are in fact, no better off than when they were here, apart from geographical location!)
    As I always responded to them…if ever there was a Southwark United, as if I wanted to watch football in Bermondsey I would have been a Fisher supporter a long time ago.
    As it stands now, I am split. I wish Fisher well, on the one hand; but on the other I sort of laugh at their plight, as they used to take the piss out of us when we were in dire straights.
    To be perfectly honest, with no real income, and no control over their ground…all they will ever do is bumble about in the lower reaches of the Southern Counties East League Premier Division, that is if they can avoid relegation, in which case next season their ‘local derbies’ will be away to Lewisham Borough & Forest Hill Park, who both groundshare at Ladywell Arena!
    I will still go and watch them at whatever level they are, they’re not our rivals…and never will be. I think they have found their level by singing about hating Beckenham Town!

vornstyle76 and Scrooge like this.
  27. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

When he was a teenager, my Dad went on holiday to Ramsgate with Osar Arif... he hadn't been told Osar was coming so it was an unwelcome surprise when he turned. Shenanigans ensued apparently.

vornstyle76 likes this.
  28. qwitch

qwitch New Member

Do you remember that time when Fisher announced Malcolm Allison as the new manager and he turned up in a helicopter and landed on the pitch, cigar in hand and sheep skin coat? Think he only lasted 6 months.

Problem was if Millwall were at home the attendance dropped by at least 50%, same problem for most clubs of that type, simply didn't have the supporters to match the ambitions of the owners.

Pink Panther and Cyclodunc like this.
  29. Dulwich Mishi

Indeed, that was post-Arif. There were some dodgy owners who called themselves 'Winners Worldwide', I think ex-Charlton Athletic manager Mike Bailey was involved.
    Around that time they tried to re-brand themselves as Fisher Athletic (London).
    They have also been called Fisher 93. Which we, as Dulwich Hamlet fans thought was hilarious, as we joked it was a name change in honour of their average crowd!

Pink Panther likes this.
  30. qwitch

qwitch New Member

There was always the suspicion that they included the dogs in the attendance figures.