1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, May 2, 2014.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

If we win tomorrow that's two more Saturday League fixtures gone...

the 12th man likes this.
  2. clog

clog have that you c

There will be a lot of three-game weeks coming up...

the 12th man likes this.
  3. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

We best get some numbers printed on them replica shirts. Your team needs you :thumbs:

pompeydunc likes this.
  4. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

...I feel alright as its Dulwich on a Saturday afternoon and Dulwich on a Tuesday, and wednesday, probably Thursday and do the league let you play on a Sunday night? (doesn't scan so well)

5. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

6. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Couple of fixture changes:
    Mon 20 March Kingstonian HOME
    Wed 22 March Havant HOME

I see it being like this until the end of the season!

AndyF likes this.
  7. mick mccartney

mick mccartney Well-Known Member

unless , of course , we can somehow manage to fashion a replay against tranmere

the 12th man likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How the heck does he work God into this story?!

9. PartisanDulwich

think it was the other way around, it was the faith slot (like thought for the day) and he weaved in Dulwich Hamlet

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  10. PartisanDulwich

cheeky hipster reference thrown in that Dutch tweet
    here's another cheeky reference Ajax 1 Dulwich Hamlet 4

11. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Do they realise pp stands for piss poor ?

12. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Going to do well to get a replay out of a two leg tie but a postponement is a possibility

13. PartisanDulwich

14. Dulwich Mishi

I wouldn't know...it's all double dutch to me....

15. Tony_LeaS

Tony_LeaS Well-Known Member

16. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Margate revisited. Also a sending off waiting to happen

17. PartisanDulwich

Dulwich Hamlet Rules 1931

Still love Rule 3

rules dulwich hamlet 1931 .jpg

Jimbob73 likes this.
  18. PartisanDulwich

rabble dulwich s-l1600.jpg

so does the Rabble predate the Rabblers supporters football team ?

19. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Quite early for the internet seeing it wasn't publicly available in 1989 unless I'm mistaken. Forward thinking as ever.

20. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the phrase 'the rabble' was around when I first turned up on 1991. If not it was very soon afterwards. Club conmittee man Bill Edwards looked towards a group of fans enjoying themselves behind the goal and exclaimed "look at that rabble."
    That is where the rabblers comes from.

In the mid 90's the ground regs specifically permitted the consumption of alcohol in the ground. The Deputy Chairman was asked to re-write them and decided it was going to be a little too difficult to police the rabble on that point and went with the flow.

Christian Burt likes this.
  21. PartisanDulwich

I got chapter and verse on the origins of the Rabble from Mishi at tonight's game - hopefully he will post later

22. PartisanDulwich

This from the Club site four years ago
    Mishi interviewing Shaun Dooley

But anyone know the date of the Hoddesdon Town game ? and therefore the founding date of "The Rabble"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And talking of the 'Rabblers' tag, I believe you are responsible for the nickname, which comes from 'The Rabble'(behind the goal)...

Shaun Dooley
    :"Do you know what, I really can't remember...was it the state of us somewhere, being a drunken rabble?"

(Prompting)
    It was a rainy day, away to Hoddesdon Town in the London Senior Cup,a certain supporter in shorts...

"Ah,oh dear! Bill Andrews!(Interviewers note: He was a Club Committee member at the time)That was the relegation season! If I remember rightly we met in the Greendale at opening time, the pubs only opened at eleven back then, kids are spoilt nowadays. It was a night game, and I can't remember why, but we were near The Monument later, & one of the players, John Collins drove past in his black cab! It was sardines on the tube to Liverpool Street in the rush hour, & I stripped down to my shorts, under my trousers, it was so hot. We lost at Hoddesdon, 4-2, & back then they were about three or four divisions below us. It was pouring with rain all night, but we stood behind the goal in the mud, & the 'furry hamster' as Big John Hugh-Jones, always called him, apparently looked over in disgust, & said 'look at the state of that rabble behind the goal!'. After that the name stuck, thanks to me in my shorts, Mishi trying to pull the net down to get the game abandoned, & another fan who doesn't go anymore, who we called Manic Mick, covered head to toe in mud, after he kept on slipping over! That is the game really where we all started pulling together behind the goal, and started friendships that last to this day."

Dulwich Mishi, AndyF and the 12th man like this.
  23. Dulwich Mishi

It was 1989/90, I am sure, as it was our relegation season. Previously some of us knew each to chat to, or just to say hello to....but adversity in being totally shit & ending up comfortably bottom of the table brought us collectively together.

At the time there was an Isthmian Premier; Division One; Division Two and Division Three. BELOW that was the London Spartan League, which Hoddesdon Town. played in. On a rainy day Shaun took his trousers off on a packed rush hour tube and was wearing only shorts...some things never change! ;)

24. Dulwich Mishi

Yes...we didn't adopt 'The Rabblers' tag until, I'm not sure, but less than ten years ago. Perhaps it was an unlucky nickname, and we haven't played a proper game in two seasons or so now...

25. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I think Bill also remarked "Who's that idiot in the shorts?" And Shaun was probably lucky it was only the net Mishi tried to pull down!

Christian Burt and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

27. PartisanDulwich

16864478_10154911455875856_4283905139583439619_n.jpg

Great just even to see this in black and white (or pink and blue)
    (C) Jack McInroy

28. Dulwich Mishi

Pink Panther, Jimbob73, AndyF and 4 others like this.
  29. PartisanDulwich

Champion Hill links to Refugees goes back a long way

"Huguenot refugees of the family of Crespigny from Normandy, settled at Camberwell. Their house was named Champion Lodge (Love Lane), Descendant included Claude Champion de Crespigny . Champion Hill and De Crespigny Park retain the name of the family estate. The park covered over 30 acres.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  30. PartisanDulwich

The Rabblers 2005 in Paris V Red Star 93

dulwich hamlet rabble v3 small 064.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017