General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 17, 2014.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

A reminiscence from a friend who has moved in council and planning circles for years.

He said Brixton tube station was originally conceived as having an underpass under the road so it would have had an entrance on each side of Brixton Road. Things being what they are it was decided that an underpass and two entrances would be too expensive and we got the bridge instead.

Sounds a plausible theory - and the dates fit (the underground station was opened 23rd July 1971).

Favelado, sealion and Puddy_Tat like this.
  2. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Yah, I have now had a proper read of the last Council feasibility study from 14 (iirc)

Think the main thing is to get the Overground committed to and then try and assess which station option is best

Brixton East didn't seem like it was a terrible option - cheaper but of course with less knowns

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/ec-lambeth-overground-stations-study-report-2014.pdf

CH1 likes this.
  3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Thanks. Don't you think this needs revising? All the stats will be different plus a lot more flats etc in the vicinity (more demand).

I'm not sure if I put it up before, but there used to be a Lambeth Public Transport Group (at its most vigorous run by John Stewart now of HACAN.

He did this fabulous report about "Clapham's Hidden Horror" (ie what is now Clapham High Street Overground station. Quite possibly pressure from Lambeth Public Transport group saved Clapham High Street from the same fate as East Brixton.

4. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

The Public Transport groups get a lot of mention when one looks into Brixton East or similar topics

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is interesting: the reason why the Victoria Line was extended to Brixton and not Fulham was because it was to tie in with the proposed motorway scheme.
    50 years ago - how the Victoria line was built

fortyplus, Casaubon and ricbake like this.
  6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

hmm

while the plans changed quite a few times, i'm fairly sure the original plan was for the line to run to Croydon via Brixton. I'm inclined to think that the Fulham idea was an afterthought...

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wikipedia says it was definitely a consideration at the beginning:

8. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

What a shit place Brixton /south London would have been if the motorway and carparks had been realised. Glad that didn't happen - what happened to put a stop to it?

9. ricbake

ricbake working out how

friendofdorothy likes this.
  10. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Brixton town centre!!! :confused: :facepalm: :mad:
    [​IMG]

11. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Change of policy by the Greater London Labour Party in response to grass-roots pressure.

fortyplus and friendofdorothy like this.
  12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Yes, that was my suspicion exactly!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. Lee.g

Lee.g New Member

s-l1600.jpg

Very rare photocard of Loughborough park facing the corner of somerleyton road
    (Where the guiness trust was built in 1930s) the photocard is from 1910

teuchter and CH1 like this.
  17. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong