General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 17, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

trams.jpg

Interesting pic showing the installation of a conduit for the tram in Brixton Road c 1907.

friendofdorothy, CH1 and Puddy_Tat like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A leafy Acre Lane as seen from the Town Hall around 1910

Untitled-1.jpg

Puddy_Tat likes this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

not quite sure about that.

the third one i've seen before and yes it's brixton - think the track is under repair rather than being installed - the cable system was replaced by electric conduit rather rapidly in 1904. the tram looks slightly later than that.

the middle one can't be 1907 - there's a belisha beacon to the right, and they didn't come in until the 30s. I also don't think it's Brixton - see the 5th photo in this set - new tracks being laid around the south side of Westminster Bridge during 1950 for a new road layout (much to London Transport's annoyance as by that time they knew it would only be in place with trams for a couple of years)

i'm not sure that the top one isn't from the same general location / time as well.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, it's just the bottom one showing Brixton but the image came in a batch of three and it was interesting to see what goes on under the road!

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

:)

7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

[​IMG]

students in action at the London County Council School of Building, 1939

on tweeter today from London Metropolitan Archives

(on Ferndale Road - Street View here)

friendofdorothy likes this.