General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

That's a great article. Covers a lot of ground and gives a feel of what Brixton ( and a lot of London) was like then.

Essential background information to understand why the 81 riots happened. This has been brewing since early seventies.

Its depressing that after all of that struggle and resistance it's economic "progress" that's now getting rid of working class and Black communities from central London. Not the police or fascists like NF.

friendofdorothy and Fozzie Bear like this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The footage isn't that interesting but it shows you just how much busier Brixton is these days

(Oh and don't read the YouTube comments unless you want to get depressed).

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

oryx, ricbake, CH1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lovely stuff!

7. Puddy_Tat

:( at 50 years of 'progress'

8. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

that is an exceptionally dull video.

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I'm just wondering where this is. We know that the Brixton Register Office used to be at 340 Brixton Road (the building is still there, but now converted by Lexadon into flats). It seems likely that by the time of the article 336 Brixton Road had been built, or was under construction.
    Which suggests to me that the building being squatted here was in due course demolished and replaced by Bedwell House (part of Stockwell Park Estate fronting onto Brixton Road).

10. Puddy_Tat

1950s map here

shows the shape of 336 / 338 Brixton Road as was (now the 336 Brixton Road building which looks like it dates from the 1970s) - think Bedwell House starts where 342 Brixton Road was.

Map doesn't show specific uses of these buildings, and I don't have a street directory recent enough to be worth looking at

ricbake and CH1 like this.
  11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

In that case could have been any of 332-342 maybe.
    Would be interesting if there are any archive photos of these. Maybe Coutts might - they seem to have a soft spot for 336 as former owners.

12. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Here's the second batch of Brixton graffiti photos from the late 1970s.

[​IMG]
    Up With Hindrance
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    No Immigration Controls - No Wage Controls
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Ban The Bomb
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Vote Bogues SWP
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Anarchy Now
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SWP Vote Bogues
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Hands Off Walpole
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Death To All Rapists!
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Hands Off Our Bodies
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Be a Moth - Get Burned to Death
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Castrate Rapists!
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

editor Do you still want me to send you these for Brixton Buzz?

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Definitely! Send over what you like (and any background text, contact/credit info) and I'd be well chuffed to post them.
    brixtonbuzz -at- gmail.com

14. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

PM sent.

15. friendofdorothy

wasn't 336 Coutts bank computer building back then?

16. Puddy_Tat

in a word, dunno - and depends just when we're talking. are we talking the building that's now 336 (looks kinda 1970s but i've no reference material to go on) or in the 60s?

17. friendofdorothy

Hi CH1 where you here then? do you recall when coutts had this building

18. Puddy_Tat

ah

a well respected brixton based blog has this piece that says coutts moved in in 1971 after the place had originally been built as a warehouse. doesn't say when the darn place was built though...

ETA - this does - 1967, which kinda louses up the idea of the original 336 being squatted a year or two later

19. friendofdorothy

there were other buildings on brixton rd that have long since demolished.

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I moved to Brixton in 1978 (December). Possibly Coutts might still have been there, but I did'nt get familiar with the building until 1990 when I got a job there, when it was a disability "hub" as Lambeth Council would now say.

So to be quite truthful I was unaware of Villa Road squats, or 336 Brixton Road in 1978 - though I used to dine in the Rose Cafe (now changed to part of Turtle Bay). Opposite that shopping parade Lambeth Council were busy refurbishing Angell Terrace to turn it into social housing. Amazing isn't it? I bet they are busy selling off Angell Terrace, unless they already have.
    angell-terrace-00229-350.jpg

21. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

I looked round a flat on Angell Terrace. It was the standard squeezed affair. I imagine a developer would love to get their hands on the block.

22. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Does anyone have any photographs showing the Butlin's advert that used to be underneath the Bovril sign in Windrush Square? You can still just see some faint traces of it in blue on the photos below - notably the distinctive script apostrophe 's' and '...AMPS' on the line below (which presumably said 'HOLIDAY CAMPS'). I've searched all of the usual archives and have come up with nothing.

[​IMG]
    Bovril
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Butlin's
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Butlin's
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2018-04-18_131201.jpg

Overton Road in its Edwardian glory.

Puddy_Tat, Ol Nick and Angellic like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Libertad and Puddy_Tat like this.
  26. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Found this earlier version on the Brixton Society website

http://www.brixtonsociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/EOT-Rushcroft+garage.jpg
    upload_2018-4-18_23-18-7.png

"One detail you may still recognize on that picture, courtesy of Lambeth Landmark. The background to the bus garage environment was already known as the ‘Bovril wall’. Then as now, people were interested in prime advertising spaces. Faded with age, now a ghost sign, Bovril is towering above Windrush Square proudly facing the clock tower. What’s next for the Bovril wall? "

The type of Bovril and it's position look different but it does appear to be the same bit of wall
    It is surprising how the brickwork looks today considering it isn't visible at all in this picture.

27. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Good for you

editor likes this.
  28. Puddy_Tat

Past Tense (S London based radical history project) have put out a pamphlet 'Trouble Down South' - "Some thoughts on gentrification & resistance to gentrification in Brixton, with historical digressions, experiences, and some ranting..."

available for cost of postage - more here.

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'll give it a go to support them even though it'll probably just end up making me even more pissed off at the growing inequality in Brixton.
    *ordered

30. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Annoying they want to give it away for free except the cost of postage but don't seem make it available to read on their website :confused: