1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

another couple from Chris Stanley on Flickr today

c. 1950. tram is coming towards the camera - trams had a one-way system here, Morval Road and Dalberg Road towards Herne Hill, Brixton Water Lane towards Effra Road (presume the streets were a bit too narrow for two tracks)

and

Dalberg Road, June 1950

ETA - remains of pub is the 'Rising Sun', 1 Effra Parade. A V1 'flying bomb' fell on Effra Parade 19.7.44 (more here)

Tram 33 ran from West Norwood via Herne Hill, Brixton, Kennington, Wesminster, Kingsway Subway, Bloomsbury, Islington, to Manor House.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

The up 'Night Ferry' passes Brixton on 2 August 1975

teuchter likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Somewhat unexpectedly, the talk "up the hill" at the Streatham Society tonight was by Alan Argent, who I now learn has been minister at the Trinity Congregational Church in St Matthews Rd for *40* years!

The topic was 'The Angel's Voice' a self-produced magazine of a century ago - obviously made more poignant by the knowledge that most of the contributors went on to the battlefields of WW1 only a few years later and a proportion did not return.
    Angels Voice2.jpg

The evening included some fascinating social history of what was then a self-improving upper working class and lower-middle class congregation, who Alan contrasted to the much socially smarter Congregationalists of the former "Brixton Independent Church" (building now the RC Church Of Our Lady of the Rosary)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Gramsci, CH1 and editor like this.
  5. Puddy_Tat

stretching a point slightly, as it's a photo of camberwell green, but it's a damn good picture

some time between 1906 - 1911.

bimble, Nivag, teuchter and 2 others like this.
  6. Puddy_Tat

another one today (think we've had similar but maybe not this particular photo)

the Orange Luxury Coaches depot / coach station - looks like they tried to get a bit of revenue in the winter using the place as an amusement park.

the island arrangement in the middle of the road and odd looking tram track is the tram 'change pit' - where trams coming from Norwood terminus on the overhead wire electric supply would have a 'plough' connected underneath so they could continue towards central London on the conduit electric supply (and vice versa) - the bloke stood in the middle of the road is probably the tram change pit attendant.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Best set of pictures I've seen of Brixton Road/Brixton town centre pre WWI.

In the Buzz article did this "This map shows how Brixton looked in 1985 before the building line was extended closer to Brixton Road." actually mean 1895?

editor and Angellic like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oops! I was up so late researching this article I missed that typo. Fixed it now - thanks.

I get lost in these pieces sometimes and what I thought might be a half hour job turns into hours of research and getting lost in history (which I like, tbh).

Puddy_Tat, RoyReed and CH1 like this.
  10. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I found these postcards in my late dad's collection of random things he saved. Thought they might be of interest some of you.
    GreetingsFromBrixton.jpg Camberwell1907.jpg BrockwellPark.jpg Brixton.jpg

11. Puddy_Tat

it tends to.

bonus points if the process also involves online purchase of a book you didn't previously know existed

:p

editor likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

editor looks to me that Brixton Brewery are now using three arches - one being on the Gresham - Barrington Road side. I don't know if this counts as gentrification - but I guess use for storage and brewing counts as a modular non-shop use which is not provided for too much elsewhere.

The trouble is all the premises get pushed up market.

Take Shakespeare Business Centre nearby, which once handled malt and seeds brought in by the railway. This is now all WiFi and white collar co-working start-ups (apart from the SLAM addiction unit).
    11 former Shakespeare Business Centre.JPG

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's a great little recording studio in there too which is affordable and well used by local acts.

CH1 likes this.